mtbr member
    Jul 2006

North Carolina Questions

Alright me and some friends are coming up for our spring break in florida from March 12-17 and i have heard about dupont and the slick rock trails and burnt mountain stuff like that. So i was wondering where would be a could place to camp out for 5 days or maybe a cheap nice place to say. Remember we are college kids so money is pretty short, we are pretty much using up all the money for gas to get there. Anyways so what would be a good game plan for coming up there? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I guess we are all looking for some pretty awesome downhills and not so much just strolls in the woods like we do here in florida. Alright thanks.

Brett

mtbr member
    Sure, there are plenty of places that you and your friends can camp. Some of the sites are free and some require a fee, although it is very affordable. Let me give you a word of advice, stay away from the "Ultimate Campground" (think that's the right name), the lady that runs that place is a freakin' psycho. There are free camping spots in the North Mills River area on Wash Creek and Yellow Gap road, also fee camping near the river; free and pay sites near Davidson River and the surrounding areas, as well as a few more places that you could stay. Those are the two areas that I would try to stay in if possible, you can ride out of the campground and be on some sweet Pisgah singletrack within about 5 minutes. For riding info check out mtbwnc's website:http://www.mtbikewnc.com/index.html
    You can reserve pay spots here for Mills River:http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/common.../newindex.html
    And here for Davidson River Campground:http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/common.../newindex.html
    As far as riding goes, you definitely have to ride Dupont, Green's Lick trail in Bent Creek is another must do. You can probably get someone to act as guide for you if you want to get the full experience of the best trails in this area, probably won't ask for more than a 6 pack of good beer. Just post a thread a few weeks before your trip on this board and ask who is riding what, and on what day's.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

pronounced may-duh
    Davidson river has hot showers many of the others don't (if they are running that time of year) They also take reservations. They are also located in the heart of Pisgah's ranger district you can ride from your camp to many trails or make a short drive to DuPont.

The weather in march can be very eratic. It could be 20 degrees at night and snow. It could be 70 in the day and sunny. Be prepared for everything. You'll probably be OK as long as it dosn't rain. Cold rain can be very very bad when you have no place to go indoors.

Can't miss downhill include:
    Trace Ridge
    Black mtn (from presly gap to the ranger station)
    Avery creek
    Bennet Gap
    Butter Gap
    Farlow Gap
    Greens lick
    and many many more...

BGR / MCM #311
    another can't miss DH:

Pilot Rock (Laurel Mtn. area)
    the rock gardens make me smile
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah i looked into davidson river and its open year round...pretty much the only pay site around there that is. Hot showers would def. be good. I had heard about the weather being pretty screwy so do you think we will be alright outside or should i look into getting a hotel room that we could all crash in?

pronounced may-duh
    Even though they are open year round, I think they turn the water off for the winter so the pipes don't freeze.

Hotel or camp? all depends on the weather for that week and how much you can take the elements. If you have no problem sleeping in below freezing temps, then you will be fine. For me, rain is the killer for any camping trip. My tent always leaks and once everything you own is wet and cold, life starts to suck. But that's just me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How high is davidson river elevation wise?

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Even though they are open year round, I think they turn the water off for the winter so the pipes don't freeze.
    DRC has hot showers year round (as of last winter), but they do close part of the campground. "Campground is open year - round and APPLE TREE LOOP is available for reservations from Jan 1 - Dec 31, *DOGWOOD, HEMLOCK, and WHITE OAK Loops are available for reservations from May 1 - Oct 30"

North Mills DOES shut the water off and the only open bathroom is a vault toilet. Even low 30 degree temps during the day can't stop the stink of a vault.

"Campground Open: Year round with limited services from November - March. Sites are available for Reservation from April 15 - October 31"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    another can't miss DH:

Pilot Rock (Laurel Mtn. area)
    the rock gardens make me smile
    just rode down this for the first time. the switch backs are rough. I had to dismount far too many times and the rock gardens ate me up, still it was highly enjoyable. go figure.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaTrailRider
    How high is davidson river elevation wise?
    It's down on the river. I'm guessing somewhere around 2200'.

Rob: Thanks for the clarification on the showers situation.