Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??

"Noise suppression" coming to a trail near you, (endorsed by the FS)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...45645796,d.dmg

Good/Bad....you decide.

(the article is from a Whiteville paper, but will affect ALL of NC)
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Rogue Exterminator
    Pointless

I live outside of city limits where people can fire guns all they want.....and they do.
    The noise is not an issue.

Never once found being in the forest with hunters to be overly noisy either and to be quite honest, I kind of like knowing their proximity to me.

I am against current proposed gun legislation/bans but why our idiotic gubberment would even entertain trying to ease up on restrictions like this is beyond me.

I mean seriously, "lets ban a certain type of gun stock but allow silencers".
    What utter idiocy.

BTW, I don't hunt nor do I fire a gun outside my house ever.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I support the proposed legislation.

Why suppressors are regulated as a Class 3 weapon is beyond me. They do not change the functionality of the firearm, nor do the "silence" the weapon like you hear in the movies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajaguars View Post

Why suppressors are regulated as a Class 3 weapon is beyond me. They do not change the functionality of the firearm, nor do the "silence" the weapon like you hear in the movies.
    +1
    In addition to the fact that "silencers" do NOT silence the sound of a shot fired like the movies lead you to believe, I don't think hunters are going to be flocking to hunt in areas where we ride a lot so it's a moot point.

I recently had to go help an acquaintance reign in his expectations of what his suppressor should sound like. Even a .22, which is relatively quiet to begin with, is tricky to make "movie quiet", and it's simply not going to happen with a pistol. In addition .22 is not legal to use for hunting in most cases so even a suppressed hunting rifle will be loud, the sound will just be muffled/different.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I grew up in a rural town in New England. Hunting was a norm. So was snowmobile racing and ice racing (cars on a frozen pond). Over the years more and more people moved into the town from the Boston area. They started complaining and the racing was stopped. Decades of doing it gone. The same crowd complains about the rifle shots during hunting season. The only public (on state land) rifle range was shut. Things like this just piss me off.

Rogue Exterminator

Granted this is a home built silencer but allowing silencers will allow this.

People really need to research things when it comes to passing any gun legislation.

There is no reason to allow silencers for hunting.
    I ride right past hunters while biking and a riffle in the forest is not that loud.
    My next door neighbor who is about 100 yards away target practices regularly and it is not that loud either.

There just is no need for it and it is pure silliness.

Rogue Exterminator
    And here is a pistol silenced......yeah, not real quiet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Granted this is a home built silencer but allowing silencers will allow this.

People really need to research things when it comes to passing any gun legislation.

There is no reason to allow silencers for hunting.
    I ride right past hunters while biking and a riffle in the forest is not that loud.
    My next door neighbor who is about 100 yards away target practices regularly and it is not that loud either.

There just is no need for it and it is pure silliness.
    I would hazard a guess and say that you don't have a lot of trigger time.

Rogue Exterminator
    I have had plenty of "trigger time" but I don't know how you could make an assumption from my opinion of how loud a riffle shot is through all the trees that separate me and my neighbor. Making a statement like that from what I wrote is lunacy. Of course, I expect that since you already made the statement suggesting that silencers can not be that quiet.

Now if you meant I don't hunt, you are correct.

mtbr member
    Find me a video of a hunting caliber with a suppressor being as quiet as a .22 with suppressor.

I'll wait.

And my point on "it's not that loud" and you not having a lot of trigger time has nothing to do with how loud YOU think a rifle shot at your neighbor's house is.

It has everything to do with how loud the SHOOTER thinks the shot is, and what THEY want to do to mitigate the sound.

Some folks wear plugs and muffs, some like to use suppressors.

mtbr member
    And BTW -

You don't need a suppressor to make a .22 quieter than a BB gun. CB Caps do that all on their own.

Rogue Exterminator
    If your trigger time comment had nothing to do with my not that loud comment then why did you bold face my not that loud comment?

Find me a video of a hunting caliber with a suppressor being as quiet as a .22 with suppressor.

I'll wait.
    Is a 308 a large enough caliber?

Next?

mtbr member
    Not bad, but still louder than a .22 with suppressor.

So, tell me again why this would be a bad thing to be allowed to hunt with?

Rogue Exterminator
    LOL, did you actually listen to it?
    Not bad? lol
    The sound of the bolt was louder than the sound of the shot.

You would not hear hear that being fired if in your back yard if you were standing in the front.

I never said it would be a bad thing to be allowed to hunt with these.
    I just said it was pointless. The sounds of shots are not that bothersome and personally I like to know when weapons are being discharged around me and their proximity along with their general direction.

Now, tell me why it would be a good thing to hunt with?

Laramie, Wyoming
    This should be legal without all the paperwork but not be forced on everyone.

mtbr member
    LOL, did you actually listen to it?
    Not bad? lol
    The sound of the bolt was louder than the sound of the shot.

You would not hear hear that being fired if in your back yard if you were standing in the front.

I never said it would be a bad thing to be allowed to hunt with these.
    I just said it was pointless. The sounds of shots are not that bothersome and personally I like to know when weapons are being discharged around me and their proximity along with their general direction.

Now, tell me why it would be a good thing to hunt with?
    As I mentioned, and as you so aptly demonstrated with the post of the suppressed rifle - to protect the hearing of the shooter.

And you wonder why I think you don't have a lot of trigger time?

Or maybe the issue is you have too much, and I need to talk louder so you can actually hear me?

Rogue Exterminator
    As I mentioned, and as you so aptly demonstrated with the post of the suppressed rifle - to protect the hearing of the shooter.

And you wonder why I think you don't have a lot of trigger time?

Or maybe the issue is you have too much, and I need to talk louder so you can actually hear me?
    Why would I care about protecting the hearing of the shooter more that my own personal safety? If the shooter is concerned with his/her hearing they can wear noise suppressing ear protection. It is what I do.

I am beginning to wonder if you have ever fired a gun.

As far as you talking louder, I don't know if you realize this but you are on the internet. You can talk as loud as you want and nobody here will hear you. Also, if you read the article, the proposed legislation has nothing to do with protecting the shooters ears.

mtbr member
    Why would I care about protecting the hearing of the shooter more that my own personal safety? If the shooter is concerned with his/her hearing they can wear noise suppressing ear protection. It is what I do.

I am beginning to wonder if you have ever fired a gun.

As far as you talking louder, I don't know if you realize this but you are on the internet. You can talk as loud as you want and nobody here will hear you. Also, if you read the article, the proposed legislation has nothing to do with protecting the shooters ears.
    I think I have determined one of the causes of our disagreement. You see this issue as about YOU and YOUR ears. I ma concerned with offering the HUNTERS the CHOICE of how they protect their ears.

As for me "never firing a gun before", I will put it this way. My screen name is a tribute to my first unit - the A Co Jaguars 5/87 INF. I think I have fired quite a few weapons.

And I propose you read more than the first 2 paragraphs.

"Suppression devices would also help with one of the most common problems suffered by hunters—hearing loss. Conventional hearing protectors make it difficult to hear approaching game or other members of a hunting party, and even ear plugs can be an annoyance for hunters. Hearing damage from gunfire can be measured even in young hunters."

YMMV

Rogue Exterminator
    No, it isn't about me and my ears. Hunters already have a choice.

"ear plugs can be an annoyance"

LOL, forgive me for not giving a sh!t if a hunter who chooses to hunt is annoyed by their earplugs.

I find it annoying not knowing where the guys near by with fire arms are firing their weapons.

If ear plugs are too annoying and you are worried about hearing loss, than get bow.

And before you make an assumption that I am against hunting, don't. I am all for hunting and well aware of the benefits to it. I will also be happy to eat any of the spoils. I just don't do it because I think it would be boring.

mtbr member
    Seeing as how you are on an mtb forum, let me see if I can equate this to something you may be able to relate to.

Should you have the choice of brakes on your mtb? Or should your neighbor, who rides a Wal-Mart bike around the neighborhood once a year dictate to you that you can't use disc brakes, you can only use canti's? After all, he doesn't care that discs are safer for YOU, he is concerned over his idea of what you should use.

Rogue Exterminator
    That is a stupid analogy as the brakes that I use affect nobody.

Actually correction, if I have safer brakes it could mean I don't crash in to you.

Would you like to try again and come up with something that actually makes sense?

mtbr member
    The entire point is why do YOU get to dictate what somebody else uses? It's their ears, it should be their choice how they protect them.

Rogue Exterminator
    Hunters have options for ear safety.
    So forgive me for not caring about their "ear safety comfort" over my "life safety" while on the trails.

And FYI the government does get to dictate things in the best interest of the people.
    For instance...
    I feel I can drive down many interstates at triple digit speeds.
    Why should anyone be able to dictate that I can not travel at the rate I want to travel at?

Or should we just have a lawless country because somebody out there may not like the way the law limits their "rights"?

Rogue Exterminator
    To add, if hunters had no other options or if people on the trails that had nothing to do with hunting were suffering hearing damage then I would support this.

However, this proposal is not based on the safety of anyone in any way. It is based on the fact that a few people who don't hunt hear shots fired and it interrupts their perfect little silent world.

mtbr member
    Now we're starting to get somewhere!!!

Personally, there is NO WAY I would be riding on hunting land during hunting season. That's just stupid for many, many reasons. So where WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down that list would be if I could hear the report of a shot or not.

RE: speeding, driving on a public road is a privilege, not a right. So, yes, the gov can regulate what happens on them. Guess what, though? You can drive as fast as you want to on private land! You don't even have to have a driver's license to do it! Nor do you have to have license plates nor registration on the vehicle!!!

Please, keep going. This is fun.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast