mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New Trails Open - Buffalo Creek Park - Lake Lure, NC

Looks like there's some new mileage available on the new trails near Lake Lure/Chimney Rock, NC:
    Western North Carolina's Newest Trail System for Mountain Bikers Now Partially Open : Town of Lake Lure

After going through the photo gallery linked from there, you'll know what every inch of trail looks like before you even get there

Our own write-up, summary of the same info:
    New multi-Use trails open near Lake Lure, NC

mtbr member
    Do you have GPS coordinates for the parking lot? I see the driving directions on how to get there, but I'm just looking for a bit more detail. Thanks!
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillion3 View Post
    Do you have GPS coordinates for the parking lot? I see the driving directions on how to get there, but I'm just looking for a bit more detail. Thanks!
    Once you turn past Rumbling Bald Resort onto Buffalo Creek Rd, look for a small gravel parking area on the left with some blue painted parking curb stops made out of wood.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Do you have GPS coordinates for the parking lot?
    I hiked it with the family a couple of weekends ago; I put the GPX (starting at the roadside trailhead) on AllTrails here:
    Buffalo Creek Park Loop Trail | AllTrails.com

Edit: 35.48091, -82.18645

mtbr member
    Very helpful, thank you so much. I'm putting together a map of the area for a rock climbing guide book. I wanted to get as close as possible to the trailhead.

Also, this trail looks like a ton of fun. Speed, flow and cardio!
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm putting together a map of the area for a rock climbing guide book.
    You'll love the big rock feature near the top, then...just steer clear of the massive poison ivy vines that grow on it in spots.

Papa T
    Sweet, I was there last July and unfortunately, tons of rain delayed the opening until this year. Can't wait to get back up there and hit it.
    Keep your head tube up!
    2012 Marin Mt. Vision XM Pro
    2009 Jamis Dragon ONE

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I rode there today, it is a really awesome place. It is super flowy and has a TON of switchbacks. Rides great both ways. Quite a bit of elevation gain. If you guys get a chance you have to check it out for sure! Spoke with a guy with the parks and rec there today as we were leaving and he told us about the plan to keep adding. Should be really nice when it all gets finished!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bumping this thread to see if anyone knows if the new section is open?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Opening in May, no word on legal access from the top so it will only be doable as an out and back. 20 miles 4500' of vertical and over 100 switch backs. In each direction
    Last edited by Smells Like Fish; 02-03-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Congative MTB
    I thought this was already open? I'm over in Hendersonville and have yet to make it out

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Please wait til May. Please.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Smells Like Fish View Post
    Please wait til May. Please.
    Is there somewhere we can watch for official word on when it'll open and follow the progress?

Also, I was under the impression part of it was already opened? So the whole thing is "off limits" until May or just the "new" stuff?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just the new, I'll post up here the the grand opening date as soon it's finalized. The town is working out details for rescue access.The folks that paid for the trail and land went as far as buying a two wheel drive motorcycle for the rescue squad so we could keep the trail narrow. The wait is killing me.

Congative MTB
    This sounds pretty awesome!!! Can't wait to check it out. With this weather might be May before we see dry dirt anyway!! keep us posted

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This sounds great really. I guess the only issue is being an out and back will have climbers and bombers running into each other. Hopefully sight lines will be good and it will be technical enough to keep speed in check.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Official grand opening will be May 4th.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ^^^^ Niiiiiiice. Stoked for a new ripper in the area!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Official grand opening will be May 4th.
    Still looking like May 4th? And if you don't mind me asking, will it be the full 20 miles opening or partial sections?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Still set for the 4th it will all be open.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hit it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Did anyone go today? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    Did anyone go today? Thoughts?
    got out there Yesterday.

Climb, berm, grade dip, climb, berm grade dip, climb, berm, grade dip for about 20 miles

That trail is crazy haha. Nothing technical about it but just berms and rollers forever. Really well laid out and cool views as well.

Bring your climbing legs.

mtbr member
    Can't wait. Was going to go yesterday but got a really bad case of don't want to leave the house be in car have to deal with other people so just going to work in the garden and ride the home trails-itis.

Will try for next Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Did you GPS it, by chance?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Banjo , Define berm,I don't recall any on the new stuff.Just 63 switchbacks.The old stuff is packed with em.But now maybe I don't know.Was that you in the black and red kit Sunday

mtbr member
    Banjo , Define berm,I don't recall any on the new stuff.Just 63 switchbacks.The old stuff is packed with em.But now maybe I don't know.Was that you in the black and red kit Sunday
    Those switchbacks are built up so when you are descending you have a bermed turn to handle the speed so they're not flat corners. Berm, switchback, corner... its all the same. The corners arent flat which is nice both climbing and descending although a few of those switchbacks are really steep and very loose right now. hard to get traction but that will settle down with some rain I bet.

I think its a great trail... not technical at all but very challenging with all the climbing. I don't see too many folks riding the full pull on a regular basis. You really earn your turns out there.

And some really cool rocks as well with plenty of potential for optional lines, drops, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Rode this for the first time yesterday and had a blast. The amount of planning and physical work that went into building this trail is just epic and amazing. Congratulations to everyone involved with the project. The rock work is excellent and the amount higher up is impressive. Expect easy to follow trail signage, great flow, long climbs, fun rock features, boulders, clifftop views, a gazillion tight switchbacks (a few are steep), and enough downhill and rolling terrain on the way up to relax for the next climb. The only negative is temporary. Most of the trail takes you through the party rock fire burn zone which is filled with burnt trees and stumps. The canopy is coming back and will be much nicer in a few years when the forest fully recovers. Like others have said, it's not very technical, but a handful of features most will not be able to ride clean without prior knowledge and mad skills. Out and back including the Buffalo Park loop was just shy of 17 miles with 3800+ feet of climbing.

mtbr member
    Wow - 3,800' of verts in 17 miles is gonna kick my butt.

That's about the amount of climbing you get in 30-35 miles in Dupont.

Looking forward to getting up there soon.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Wow - 3,800' of verts in 17 miles is gonna kick my butt.

That's about the amount of climbing you get in 30-35 miles in Dupont.

Looking forward to getting up there soon.
    Umm.....my loop last night was 19.2mi / 4700 ft....(gulp). A monster.

I'm interested in how all the 90+ degree corners bed in. Right now you're flying 20mph+ then burning it all into the brakes, hitting corner at 5mph and cranking it up again. I'm undecided if I liked it or not solely because of those corners. Trail and scenery sure are beautiful no denying that.

You can tell after only a week of being open that people are locking em up and sliding around corners. Maybe that was the intent? Let some berms build in?

Favorite section was the initial descent from Eagle rock.

It took me 3:30 from car to car fwiw. Plan accordingly....big ride fo sho

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by radred View Post
    The only negative is temporary. Most of the trail takes you through the party rock fire burn zone which is filled with burnt trees and stumps. The canopy is coming back and will be much nicer in a few years when the forest fully recovers.
    Dude I count this a positive! It was surreal seeing that area. I know some folks who worked that fire and it gave me chills to see the scars.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The switchbacks are not ideal,the sand is blowing out from the brake drag.I don't know what the long term will be.The Client specifically asked for a trail that didn't seem bike-centric,like the lower part.The only thing that will help is that for now it's an out and back.I hope the drains out the backs of the turns continue to function.That upper piece is some rowdy fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The switchbacks are not ideal,the sand is blowing out from the brake drag.I don't know what the long term will be.The Client specifically asked for a trail that didn't seem bike-centric,like the lower part.The only thing that will help is that for now it's an out and back.I hope the drains out the backs of the turns continue to function.That upper piece is some rowdy fun.
    Ah, I see. The way it is definitely encourages scandi-flick and two wheel drift practice. Unless you know the trail really well you're going to be brake dragging every one, so not sure what could alleviate that. Also with some rain and a season on it, we'll see. Everything is moon dust right now (ton of rain coming in this week....).

Already some berms are starting to come in and you can drop the rear tire (slap!) into the corner if you get it just right. Time will tell.

One thing is for sure - when I replace chain/cassette, I'll be getting a bigger rear cassette! Haha.

Thanks for the work on this Shrimper. Will definitely be a boon to the Chimney Rock/Lake Lure area. Once the other trails get rolling, upper parking lot is in, yep...Hickory Nut Gorge is getting to be a cooler and cooler spot. With the new brewery, new climbing areas, Weed Patch....mmmmmm

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks,For a real treat hit TURGUA brewing in Fairview on your way back to Ashvegas.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That sounds a lot like Douthat State Park. Can anyone give me a comparison to another trail system that they've been on? Fire mtn ?
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 05-15-2018 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    That sounds a lot like Douthat State Park. Can anyone give me a comparison to another trail system that they've been on? Fire mtn ?
    Its alot like Uwharrie except not at all.

Just go ride it and enjoy the surprise!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    Nope, not allowed. Sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    !/2 as wide,twice as steep,8 times closer,and more fun than a greasy midget.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the flooding last weekend damaged this new trail? I was hoping to get up there soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Does anyone know if the flooding last weekend damaged this new trail? I was hoping to get up there soon.
    There's a thread on FB about a new map and I had asked the same question. Someone posted they had ridden Sunday and the trails were in good shape "considering."

mtbr member
    "Considering" they had 8" of rain, that guy should have stayed off the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    "Considering" they had 8" of rain, that guy should have stayed off the trail.
    That's probably a valid consideration.

mtbr member
    Well I finally made it up there today. The trail was in good shape. I wish I could say the same for me. I made it maybe 3 1/2 miles up the new extension before getting tired of pushing my bike up switchbacks and turning around. I gotta go back with a bigger cassette and better legs. What a fantastic trail though.