Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Trail above Mount Holly?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dodo 
#1 ·
Do any of you guys have any information about the trail that's supposed to be opening above Mount Holly across the Catawba from the national whitewater center (near Mountain Island Lake)? What's been done? What's happening now? What's going to happen? Exact Location?

Rumors, hearsay, myths all welcome :thumbsup:

#2 ·
It has not been started yet but should start being planned or built in some fashion this winter. Your question is better posed with in the groups forum that will be building it which is here http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/nph-yabb.pl

There is another trail being built in Gaston County as well at Poston Park by the other mountain biking club in this area http://www.bikepasa.com/phpBB2/ . I am the trail coordinator for this project and welcome additional helpers if you ever want to come out and build trail!

Things are looking up for Gaston County!

#3 ·
Thanks, Zod-

After I posted this thread, I went to the TT forum last night to see if I could find anything but most of the news regarding the Mount Holly trail seems to be old and more related to coordinating with local governing agencies. There's really nothing new there. :(

I took a look at bikepasa's site - very cool! I didn't even know you guys existed - sorry! If you can point me to a calendar with work days, I'll see if I can find some time to help at Poston. The pic's look like it's going to be a nice trail...

I hate I'm going to miss the 'Advanced Riding techniques' gathering but I'm teaching a motorcycle safety class this weekend :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Yeah dude be sure to check out PASA! We're getting a nice presence in G-county now and we're always wanting new members. As for work days at Poston I am getting ready to start my winter schedule up out there which will run from about Noon to whenever on Sundays....usually I work about 4 or 5 hours but people are welcome to come and work however long they can get away with. 30 minutes of your time will be just as appreciated as 5 hours. For the most part I will be there every weekend but keep an eye here ( http://www.bikepasa.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=9 ) because I will post if a trail workday is or is not going to occur. Let me know in advanced if you think you can make it and I will bring extra tools for you to use.

#5 ·
Gents,

I can shed a little light on these questions.

Tarheel TrailBlazers have secured a $50K RTP grant to develop this trail system. Trail Dynamics will be working with the club on the planning and design phase, and also involved in the construction which most likely will be done as a hybrid (TD does the heavy lifting with club volunteers working behind us).

I have a site visit and planning meeting with club leaders for this project next month. I have a map of the property that project lead Jeff Smith sent and I am studying to create the ideal system.

We would like to finalize the design phase this winter with the build out happening next year early. There are still a few hoops to deal with from the land management side but it looks like we are getting close to green light.

When complete, it could be a really good trail system with riding for a range of interest and ability.

Woody Keen
Trail Dynamics LLC

#10 ·
W -
I assume you heard The Official News then: Only one Santa Claus is allowed in the Chirstmas Parade. Glad to see you're still able to spread "Joy Throughout the Land" - even if it is FLAT land.

:p

By the way, 99.99% of the folks I have met in this proposed trail region know what the working end of a tool means.

#11 ·
Rocks

Woodman said:
Zod,

I have only been on the property for a couple of hours ( a few months back) so it is hard to state an early inpression. I do remember a few cool rocks that cuaght me eye.......
I've been out on the property with Jeff and there are definitely some large rocks out there. There is one big rock garden we have located that has tons of potential. Looks like someone dumped rocks in a ravine when they built something years ago.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.