Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Umm, hi. I think XC racing and riding is awesome. I am looking to get into racing again after many years of barely racing. I can't wait for this shop to open. What was your email again? The more all mountain / xc, the better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Sjanes is obviously part of a much larger conspiracy to get kids into mountain biking to turn them into paying adults which will then feed the other bike shops in WNC.
    craaaaaap......

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Barrett Jr View Post
    What was your email again?

Go back and read the first post.

mtbr member
    I was being serious.

Asheville needs many, many, many more bike shops.

Thanks for being so welcoming of people's opinions...

Big Mac
    Sounds good rocketmatt. I'll see you when you open. Are you gonna maintain a decent inventory of parts? Like, in the shop, that I can walk in and buy? It always cracks me up when I go into a shop looking for something they don't have and tell me they can order it. He'll I can order it. And for a lot cheaper. I'll be anxious to see what y'all got over there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Barrett Jr View Post
    Umm, hi. I think XC racing and riding is awesome. I am looking to get into racing again after many years of barely racing. I can't wait for this shop to open. What was your email again? The more all mountain / xc, the better.

Tim, You cant be sponsored if you are one of the owners. Always stirring the pot

[QUOTE]Sounds good rocketmatt. I'll see you when you open. Are you gonna maintain a decent inventory of parts? Like, in the shop, that I can walk in and buy? It always cracks me up when I go into a shop looking for something they don't have and tell me they can order it. He'll I can order it. And for a lot cheaper. I'll be anxious to see what y'all got over there./QUOTE]

We are going to be in between model years when we first open so the stuff will be sparse until the 2013 stuff arrives but yes we will have actual parts you can come in and buy. We will parts in stock for every type of rider on the MTB side (DH, DS, XC, AM) and we will work into the road and cyclocross stuff over time. We also have a price match guarantee on parts we have to order and unless you own a business and have a distributor account we will be able to match or beat online prices on current model year inventory. So if your looking for Shimano SLX crankset and bb or Avid Elixer brakes, come get them cause will have some in stock (for example). Just curious what type of stuff are you looking for that other shops havent had in the past?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Best of luck. Remember every customer is important. Can't stand going into a bikeshop and because u don't look like a xc racer or roadie they act like they could careless about your business. When is your opening date?

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Unfortunately that is true with just about anything in life.
    There will always be people that will try and bring you down to their level instead of encouraging you.
    Just think how much better the world be if it wasn't for the naysayers.
    If i had listened to those who told me i was crazy when i started drawing up my arm, i would've been sitting on th couch for th last 12 YRS!!!!! Screw them who can't stand to see ANYONE suceed except themselves...
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    We wil be open November 1st but the supply in the shop will be limited until the 2013 stuff arrives. We will have a little bit of most stuff until then. But we will have a hang out area with a big flatscreen and xbox and stuff, We want people to feel comfortable enough there to want to come hang out. Thats the way it was back in my moto days. I would just go to talk bikes and thats the feel we want here

Big Mac
    [QUOTE=rocketmatt17;9763388]Tim, You cant be sponsored if you are one of the owners. Always stirring the pot

Sounds good rocketmatt. I'll see you when you open. Are you gonna maintain a decent inventory of parts? Like, in the shop, that I can walk in and buy? It always cracks me up when I go into a shop looking for something they don't have and tell me they can order it. He'll I can order it. And for a lot cheaper. I'll be anxious to see what y'all got over there./QUOTE]

We are going to be in between model years when we first open so the stuff will be sparse until the 2013 stuff arrives but yes we will have actual parts you can come in and buy. We will parts in stock for every type of rider on the MTB side (DH, DS, XC, AM) and we will work into the road and cyclocross stuff over time. We also have a price match guarantee on parts we have to order and unless you own a business and have a distributor account we will be able to match or beat online prices on current model year inventory. So if your looking for Shimano SLX crankset and bb or Avid Elixer brakes, come get them cause will have some in stock (for example). Just curious what type of stuff are you looking for that other shops havent had in the past?
    Over the years, many things. Mavic 819's, hope brake pads, Rampage tires, x9 components, flits saddles, time pedals, all sorts of rebuild kits, ruffian lock on grips, hope hubs, etc... I'm looking forward to seeing your shop. Sounds like you got a niche your filling. So, you'll price match online prices? Sounds awesome. See you soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Wink Sweet

I'm kinda looking forward to another shop! Good competition for other shops. Sometimes your LBS jack prices up so much it's crazy! Good luck

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmatt17 View Post
    We wil be open November 1st but the supply in the shop will be limited until the 2013 stuff arrives. We will have a little bit of most stuff until then. But we will have a hang out area with a big flatscreen and xbox and stuff, We want people to feel comfortable enough there to want to come hang out. Thats the way it was back in my moto days. I would just go to talk bikes and thats the feel we want here
    Had an automotive performance shop I used to go to like that when I lived in Mn.
    Also, my buddy opened in door climbing gym in Ga and it is like that.

That type of atmosphere is always cool and lets the consumer know that you are not just about making a dollar. Look forward to checking out the shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    [QUOTE]So, you'll price match online prices? Sounds awesome. See you soon./QUOTE]

Yes but we can only do that on current model year stuff. Pricepoint likes to buy leftover items at a discount and discount them even more than the current stuff. I have no access to leftovers. You will be happy with our deals. We are going to be very aggressive. Thanks for all the info. We love hope so we will have their stuff. I have some moto v2 pads now and will be getting some m4

Big Mac
    [QUOTE=rocketmatt17;9771225]
    So, you'll price match online prices? Sounds awesome. See you soon./QUOTE]

Yes but we can only do that on current model year stuff. Pricepoint likes to buy leftover items at a discount and discount them even more than the current stuff. I have no access to leftovers. You will be happy with our deals. We are going to be very aggressive. Thanks for all the info. We love hope so we will have their stuff. I have some moto v2 pads now and will be getting some m4
    I don't do a lot of business with pp, but I do with jenson. I think they do the same thing. In all fairness, in regards to to hope disc pads, they're minis. So they're old. But they haven't always been old and the only place I could get them from was Harvey at Backcountry in Pisgsh forest. And I think he kept them on hand for me. It would be nice to source them locally but. It is an odd ball pad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You guys up and running yet? Need some new MK's

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Great service

Just replying to last post. Shop is open. Great service....I got 2 tires and a tube. Also found shops Facebook site. Billy Goat Bikes - bike shop Asheville nc

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Checked the shop out and seems like it's going to be a good shop. Glad to see someone is finally going to stock Norco around here.

When did you get here?!?!
    I stopped by the shop today, introduced myself, and bought some ride essentials. Nice guys, Easy-to-get-to location. Welcome to town, Y'all!
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

thecentralscrutinizer
    Where in Asheville is the shop?
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yeah, but do they serve beer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes View Post
    yeah, but do they serve beer?
    Is it wrong that this has become a priority for me when selecting an LBS?
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    I pray they all get on board..... I mean really they cover most every thing else ride related, why not beer?

Make some thing better happen.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Hahaaa. No, it is not wrong at all. If the city and state would "loosen" up the reigns a bit, charge less than 500$ for the permit and not be so picky, the suds would already be flowing. BUT, we are still one of the coolest shops around. In my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    Cross over 19/23 interchange, on Patton avenue, second light past Sams gas station entrance. Take a right, little strip mall on right behind Dennys.

mtbr member
    I think at this point it's pretty much about the service you can give to your customers. Asheville has all but voted and no one wants to pay retail for parts or bikes so you need to win people over with your service. The mark up on parts and bikes is how shops turn a profit and is no different than any other retail formula. The difference is that the industry is too transparent and customers know what businesses are paying for their parts. I think there is some misinformation about margins and markups in this industry. No one beyond maybe one shop in town is making any real money at this. We do it for different reasons but mostly it's because we all like bikes.

The system is broken and small business owners fight a losing battle w/ price matching sites like Jenson. They have an unfair advantage and you can be sure they are acquiring their product through completely different avenues than a LBS (illegally, semi-illegally, and with large pockets). Manufacturers would love for this to go away as well as it devalues their product but it's hard when there is mass production and so much OEM stuff out there. Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming folks for shopping cheap and online, I'd do the same if I wasn't in the industry at this point but I've spent my hard earned dollar at the shops in the past who gave me good service.

Good luck with the shop. I plan on checking it out soon as I am a fan of Devinci's line up. Any plans to stock the carbon Dixon? That thing looks sweet!
    My one says BRAP!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast