mtbr member
    Jan 2008

New riding companion?

Adopted what I thought was going to be a mini-beagle this winter.

Well hell's bells she's got some Walker in her and has turned into what I hope will be a perfect MTB companion. Next spell of good weather we're going for a test ride on some trails we've hiked. She knows it's her job to keep track of me and hasn't bolted on a scent in close to 100 miles of off leash hiking. Fingers crossed!

Big Mac

New riding companion?

Cool. Train them well and you've got a great partner. Enjoy.

ready to ride
    We rescued a husky this past fall. Well my wife literally saved him from being put down, picked him up in Rowan county. Anyways he obviously loves to run as that is pretty much what he is bred for. Its taken a little bit of time for me to trust him on the trail. I have a bikejoring harness for him, and he will pull you. I mainly went that route because I didn't want him to end up in Macon County. My KOMs are off the charts when i have him harnessed If you take a long bungy cord or shock cord and attach a carabiner at one end and a swivel clip at the other end you can then attach the carabiner end to your seat post and the other end to about a 5 foot lead that gives you pretty good control of your pup, and you don't have to worry about him taking off. I pretty much never attach him anymore and I think both of us find it more enjoyable just to ride, or in his case run.

He loves it, and pretty much always stay near by. Only once did he run off. Well didn't exactly run off. We were taking a break at a ridge line. Another biker came by and went down the trail we weren't planning on. My friend I was riding with, said looks like we are going that way. We both laughed and finally caught up with him about half way down. Only because the other decided to stop after he realized he could shake him.

Hope you enjoy riding riding with your new buddy. Slows your ride down a little bit but also make you stop and appreciate your surrounding too.

If you ever see Cosmo say hi, if you find him lost please post here or PM me lol.

Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    The upside to a dog that is HIGHLY food motivated, and is absolutely SURE that their is a bag of treats back at the truck... he never gets farther than a foot behind me except on the really steep downhills

He's been trail running with us since he was 18 months old, and has learned to jump off the trail and yield to other bikes.

New riding companion?-521800_10151228327651661_925750734_n.jpg

His favorite part of any ride is laying in the middle of any creek crossing...

New riding companion?-399519_10151050467886661_1187923817_n.jpg
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    His favorite part of any ride is laying in the middle of any creek crossing...
    Cosmo seems to have a penchant for the foulest mud puddle he can find. Its usually the one closet to the truck as we are nearing the end of the ride, with no other water source around.

Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

my riding buddies

These are my Brittany's, and anyone who rides at Bent Creek will likely recognize them. The image below is one of the Farlow creek crossing. They don't realize that they're supposed to be bird dogs. I'm convinced that they fancy themselves mountain bikers. They're good for about 30 miles, provided that they can find enough water. That's usually not problematic around here, with the exception of a few trails (Turkeypen comes to mind). I've taken them longer, but not on purpose. They kept running, but their paws started to break down.

The girls get worked into a frenzy if I open my biking clothes drawer, grab my camelbak, or mention the word "biking." They even get excited when I walk over to the window, look at the sky, and stretch. Anyway, the best part about it is that they have tons of energy, and my wife loves it when I take them biking.

New riding companion?-img_0445.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Here she is.

New riding companion?-dog-gorge.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New riding companion?-dogcat.jpg