mtbr member

New Rider in Columbia -- Looking for Pals!

Hey MTBR!

I just acquired my first bike. It's used. It needs some work! I was hoping to find a group of locals to ride with. Also was wondering if someone would be willing to show me the ropes and give me some hints and tips for cleaning/maintenance. I can teach myself, but I feel it'd be more beneficial to do so and make friends over it!

Enthusiastically,

Matthew
    If you kill time, you'll bury opportunity.
    African Proverb

mtbr member
    There is a fairly new SORBA chapter in Columbia - Midlands SORBA.

https://www.facebook.com/MidlandsSORBA

I would suggest you join and I'm sure some of them will be glad to show you around. If you ever feel like coming to Spartanburg, I will be happy to show you our trails.

Basic Cleaning and Maintenance Guide | Mountain Bike Review
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    There is a group of Mountain Bikers on meetup.com that is based out of Columbia. The best way to get familiar with them is just to join and start attending some rides. There are rides for every level. The group is currently at 130 members, with most rides having between 6 and 20 riders attending. The group is called Palmetto Fat Tire Society.

Palmetto Fat Tire Society (Columbia , SC) - Meetup

The group has a page on facebook as well, but there isn't much activity on that page, as all rides are organized and managed from the meetup site.

http://www.facebook.com/PalmettoFatTireSociety
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    There is a fairly new SORBA chapter in Columbia - Midlands SORBA.

https://www.facebook.com/MidlandsSORBA

I would suggest you join and I'm sure some of them will be glad to show you around. If you ever feel like coming to Spartanburg, I will be happy to show you our trails.

Basic Cleaning and Maintenance Guide | Mountain Bike Review
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post
    There is a group of Mountain Bikers on meetup.com that is based out of Columbia. The best way to get familiar with them is just to join and start attending some rides. There are rides for every level. The group is currently at 130 members, with most rides having between 6 and 20 riders attending. The group is called Palmetto Fat Tire Society.

Palmetto Fat Tire Society (Columbia , SC) - Meetup

The group has a page on facebook as well, but there isn't much activity on that page, as all rides are organized and managed from the meetup site.

http://www.facebook.com/PalmettoFatTireSociety
    Hey, guys... Thank you! Great resources. Exactly the direction I needed to be pointed in. Mike, I'll give you a few weeks heads up on my next trip to the Upstate. I would like to take you up on that offer.

Thanks again.
    If you kill time, you'll bury opportunity.
    African Proverb

Rogue Exterminator
    Also for repairs check out your local REI.
    The one in Asheville offers free bike maintenance classes.
    Yours may do the same.

Also YouTube
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew M View Post
    Hey MTBR!

I just acquired my first bike. It's used. It needs some work! I was hoping to find a group of locals to ride with. Also was wondering if someone would be willing to show me the ropes and give me some hints and tips for cleaning/maintenance. I can teach myself, but I feel it'd be more beneficial to do so and make friends over it!

Enthusiastically,

Matthew
    Hi! I'm Bryan. I also live in the Cola area. A good group to start out with would be Tri-City Cyclers (I think SORBA and other groups ride with them as well). On Tues/Thurs nights at 6:30 they meet behind the Farm Bureau in Cayce (off 321) and do an Urban Assault type of ride. After the next time change they will switch to road bikes. It's a great group, and you can get on the e-mail list that has a bunch of other rides outlined in it. If you want I can try to PM you their latest with contact info to get on the list. During road season, I think on Thursdays a bunch meet up at Harbison State Forest to ride the trails there. I am there usually Sat mornings at 0730. I am new to mtn biking as well.
    The more the merrier!