mtbr member
    Jan 2014

New to Durham - Trails?

Hello to all,
    I'm new resident of NC, moved to Durham for my wife's career the beginning of the year. I'm looking for some local trails to get back into riding. I haven't been on a bike since college (10yrs ago and that was an azonic steelhead for bombing around campus) and would like to start off on some pretty tame stuff to get back into it. I moved from PA and in high school lived close to a few decent trails and rode a lot of XC, so while its been 10 years I'm not completely lacking experience. I have an Airborne Goblin Evo in transit now and can't wait to get out riding again. I'm a bit of a big fellow (6'5" 225) and I think the Evo should hold up well to the kind of riding I hope to get into down the road. So anyone have some suggestions on where to get started? I've checked out the singletracks trail site, but it seems like based on the age of some reviews some of the trails may not be open still. Just looking for some more direct suggestions. I'm north of Duke but obviously don't mind driving to get out on some trails. Thanks
    Dan

mtbr member
    Check out trianglemtb.com for trail info and status.

Lake Crabtree County Park will probably be your best bet for tame stuff to get started with. There are also rides and races posted to that site to get you into the local scene. Folks around here are pretty friendly and helpful when it comes to showing new people around.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the dirty.

In terms of proximity to Durham, check out:

Carolina North - Nice, tight single track with some roots and such
    Duke Forest - All fire road but lots of nice up and down to keep your heart rate up
    Little River Regional Park - Short and sweet

When skills come back and your ready to rip, try:

New Light - Arguably the best single track in the area. Rock, elevation, roots, etc.

When the local trails have got you ready to really shred, head to Pisgah National Forest. You'll want to ask your wife to go work in Asheville to get more saddle time near Brevard.

Enjoy.
    Nothing but style!

MTBR Member
    If I lived in North Durham, I would be hitting up Anglers Ridge in Danville, VA, all the time. It's listed under extended area trails on TriangleMTB.

I'm in Chapel Hill and mostly ride Carolina North Forest and Briar Chapel. Both trails worth hitting that aren't too far away. CNF has a lot mileage and is very beginner friendly. It is difficult to navigate the first several times out, so if you are looking for a guide, I would be willing to show you around. Briar Chapel is a more diverse trail, though much shorter overall(~8mi or so). BC has a good mix of fast/flowy trail and slower technical stuff with a lot of rock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ncfisherman- Appreciate the offer and I may have to take you up on it once I get a few rides under my belt.

D-town- Kinda funny, I actually grew up and just moved from Dallastown, PA, but its commonly called D-town.

Having spent my whole life in the Northeast, I'm still getting used to the rampant friendliness down here. Definitely a change.