Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New to Charlotte

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  escocia 
#1 ·
I am happy to say that next week I will be moving into my new home in Huntersville.

I'm looking to make some connections on the trail. I will be 29 minutes from the WWC and 41 min. from LNSP. I am coming from Charleston, WV. It might be a stretch but can anyone relate what I am going to find there to trails here around Kanawha State Forest?

I have tried to get logged into the Tarheel Trailblazers but the log in hasn't been working.

Any Downhill around? Shuttles or Lifts?

Do the parks near Mountain Island Lake have any good riding?

I bought a more aggresive bike hoping to ride Snowshoe more but now I am moving away. This bike is still a great trail bike.

#2 ·
welcome to the piedmont KDR :)

i'm not familiar with the trails you have in WVa, but can help with what we have near your new home.

USNWC (old timers will call it it's pre-whitewater center name "Catawba", as it's at the banks of Catawba River), is a great facility with 18 mi of singletrack sections and an added greenway/threadtrail out and back of +2 more, approx 22 total if you loop everything. mostly intermediate with some fair climbs and a few tech sections. always fun to people watch at the center and the ropes courses overhead in the woods. free music thursday evenings, special event holidays too. good for regular fitness and max mileage. spread out very nicely.

LKNSP is one i haven't visited, but i think is not as tech. very beginner friendly, lots of mileage (+/- 30 mi of loops range?).

George Poston Park in nearby Lowell, Gaston County (485 past USNWC to 85 S to exit 23) has the most big mountain feel of the Charlotte area trails. bikePASA currently has about 8-9 mi of loops with new sections being rejoined this fall. very tight singletrack, lots of climb and lots of fun. tuesday and thurs evening rides are common as are weekend group rides.

Kerr Scott Lake trails in Wilksboro (about 1hr drive north 77) has a neat set of trails that are lots of fun. Warrior Creek is 13mi of machine cut roller coaster, high banked berms, very fast with moderate climbs. the new Headwaters Loop addition is 4mi of very tech rocky terrain that will earn you skills in picking lines and testing your patience. Dark Mtn and OVT have many loops to work variations into for different routes if you like to mix things up.

Shermans Branch (45 min drive 485 to 24/27 W) is about 13 miles of flat out cardio. very popular w 29 HT/SS crowd. not too much in climbing nor DH. Tar Heel Trailblazers have added some tech features and it has a large group of regular riders.

Poplar Tent (30 min drive up 85N to Poplar Tent Rd) may be folding up this year. Check it out if you can. 9mi of intermediate old-school MTB. a little of everything, tons of fun.

Uwharrie (1hr+ just past Albemarle) is about 10mi loops of nice rocky terrain and good climbs.

Rocky Knob Park outside Boone (1.5 hr drive) is a new area that is still being built up. i hear great things in the works there.

then you have Wilson Creek area near Morganton (1.5 hr drive) which you'll find some DH specific trails and are in the "real mountains". shuttle routes are very common here.

Pisgah in Brevard has a ton to explore too (2+ hr drive), long steep climbs, tech DH, and some groomed ribbons in best mtn spots on east coast. we're so lucky to have so many options for day trips.

some other local trails in Charlotte area are Back Yard Trails, Fisher Farm, Beatty Park, a few others that THTB has listed on their site. nothing at Mtn Island. snowshoe is a good 7hr drive, but you know what you're getting there. beech and sugar mtns (banner elk) have had lifts and trails open but usually for events only.

also check out www bikePASA com (Piedmont Area Singletrack Alliance) for trail info, ride reports, and misc MTB related hi-jinks.

see you on the trails!

#3 ·
Thanks for all the info. A lot of riding reasonably close. Since i started riding I have been able to ride on the way home from work. I will miss that convenience but it looks like i will have a lot more variety.

I ran some of the trails at the WWC (spartan race. It is awsome. do it next year) and they look a lot like WV (except clay instead of dirt).

I'm open for guided tours.

#4 ·
I rode Poplar tent this past weekend and it has gotten pretty rough...it might bother some people but it didnt bother me..I still had alot of fun..tho..the devil's drop is pretty dangerous now..it was more exposed roots than it was anything...its always been scary but now its beyond...I love the gravity cavity...I wish I coulda rode it more

#7 · (Edited)
You can. Doubling back from a full loop to rerun north trails, or starting a green (pond loop) for a warmup 3mi then run entire loop will add up. You can always ride the entrance drive out and back (paved 2 lane road). So a couple repeats to max out your day.

Map here: www tarheeltrailblazers.com/TrailMaps/USNWC.pdf

North of Charlotte is Lake Norman State Park which I think has more distance if less challenge.

Map here: www tarheeltrailblazers.com/TrailMaps/LNSP.pdf

#11 ·
i love the rhythm of renneisance park. They have a short track and a long track. I ussaually hit the short track to warm up because you don't have to do much work but it forces you to be responsive and I love the little table top in the middle. then once you get done with the short track you hit the long track with a nice progression from drop offs to some intesive corners and downhills and then some fun challenges along the way. I see a lot of people trying to figure out the best line on one of the more intimidating downhill sections but I just like to try to hit it differently everytime bc you get a challenge every time.

#12 ·
Welcome to NC. If downhills are what you want then I recommend coming out to Western North Carolina in Pisgah National Forest. We have around 300+ miles of trails in Pisgah, Dupont State Recreation Area, Tsali, Panthertown, Wilson Creek and other areas. It is about a 2 and a 1/2 hour drive to Pisgah from Charlotte, but it would be well worth it. I traveled a lot to Charlotte and places like Uwharrie to race this past season and most places were around 2-3 hours from Asheville/ Brevard area to the east. If you come out we would love to show you around. Take care. Home - Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.