mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Need fellow rider for carpool/parking pass for Swank 65

This year you can't even park for the Swank 65 race without the name of fellow rider with whom you're carpooling--otherwise you don't get a parking pass to Cove Creek campground.

Bummer.

I'm driving in from Tennessee border, going through Asheville on way to Brevard for the morning of the race. I do not plan on camping/staying after the race. If you are registered for Swank 65 and live in Asheville & want a ride into Pisgah Forest EARLY [like the pickup in Asheville @ 07:30?] please PM me? I have a truck with two bike rack & camper top.

Brian K.
    Member, Pisgah Area SORBA
    GF HiFi Pro

consistent default champ
    so we are required to carpool? I better read the rules. There is only one other person I know racing. I don't plan on getting in a car with a guy I don't know no matter how nice his bike is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I got an email from Blue Ridge Adventures that stated I needed the name of a registered rider for the carpool or I didn't get to park at Cove Creek for the start of the race. Read the rules, if you come up with something different, let us all know.

Brian K.
    GF Hifi Pro

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC
    so we are required to carpool? I better read the rules. There is only one other person I know racing. I don't plan on getting in a car with a guy I don't know no matter how nice his bike is.
    What if he has a really big truck with 4 doors and a dakine mat on the tailgate and the truck's all shiny with a really-really nice bike on the back and he's like "YO need a lift"

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    What if he has a really big truck with 4 doors and a dakine mat on the tailgate and the truck's all shiny with a really-really nice bike on the back and he's like "YO need a lift"
    If Iím at the bottom of the hill then absolutely.

I used to do all of Toddís races but the cost and absurdity seam to reach a new level every year.

Now you cant even park at his race unless you bring a friend and $100

mtbr member
    if he asks at the bottom of 229 I'm IN
    many gears, some pies

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    If I’m at the bottom of the hill then absolutely.

I used to do all of Todd’s races but the cost and absurdity seam to reach a new level every year.

Now you cant even park at his race unless you bring a friend and $100

Cove Creek can't accommodate 350+ cars . i know when you rent the group Camp grounds they tell you the limit is 15 vehicles.... so i think Swank will likely exceed that by a few.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, if we could park at the Fish Hatchery or at the long parking lot near Looking Glass that AM, I would ride my bike down 475A to the effing start of the race.

Anyone have any recommendations for relatively safe parking for the day of the race within 4-5 miles of the start? Davidson River & Ranger Station are a tad far for such a race.

Brian K
    GF HiFi Pro

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by briankrider
    Well, if we could park at the Fish Hatchery or at the long parking lot near Looking Glass that AM, I would ride my bike down 475A to the effing start of the race.

Anyone have any recommendations for relatively safe parking for the day of the race within 4-5 miles of the start? Davidson River & Ranger Station are a tad far for such a race.

Brian K
    GF HiFi Pro
    You should have no issues parking at the Hatchery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briankrider

Brian K
    GF HiFi Pro
    Why can't you park at the Hatchery? Last year the lot right outside the Cove Creek gate was packed and people just parked down the road towards Daniel Ridge and also @ Daniel Ridge.
    many gears, some pies

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    Last year the lot right outside the Cove Creek gate was packed and people just parked down the road towards Daniel Ridge and also @ Daniel Ridge.
    and i think that is some of this issue of why Todd's made it a requirement to ride share.

consistent default champ
    Not even then! Now a rifle rack thrown in...
    I haven't figured out what I am going to do yet either. I want to do my race and then go home soon after. I don't want to hang out for hours after having frothy beverages ~ I want to get home to my family. Riding a mile or three on a flat road to get to the race wouldn't bother me.
    These races do cost $30-40 more but you can win prize money. Last time I won I paid $60 entry and got a trophy and sports drink that I won't drink. When I got 2nd in my age category for ORAMM the prize money did cover my entry fee. This race is open cat only so I will be getting my a$$ handed to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC
    Riding a mile or three on a flat road to get to the race wouldn't bother me.
    Well, not sure you would get a mile of flat road in Pisgah even if you added together all the tiny flat bits from all around the entire forest...
    you're gonna either be going up, or down, or up and then down, or down and then up.