mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Need Advice on Mountain Bike Vacation to Asheville Area.................

Hi,
    I live in Virginia and am planning a mountain biking vacation to the Ashville area. We are probably going to head down in the spring / early summer, but we know little about the area, other than that the city is pretty cool and there is good riding. So we have lots of questions. This actually is a late honeymoon for us so we want it to be a nice trip.

First, what month do you recommend coming down? Obviously we want to head down there when the weather is likely to be good and before it gets too hot. We are thinking sometime between April and June.

Next, where do you recommend riding? We have heard that there is great riding in Pisgah and in Dupont Forest. Not sure about in the Nantahala. What do you recommend, and what trails are good ones to hit?

Any recommendations on a cool place to stay? Again, since it is a honeymoon we want to stay someplace kind of cool....not just at a Holidday Inn.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks for your help!!!

Matt

Rogue Exterminator
    Although there are plenty of good trails all around the area, the two best trail systems in the area where you will find the most trails in one spot are Bent Creek and Dupont.

For a tourist though, I would suggest Dupont especially for a honeymoon as there is more to see. Better views and several water falls to check out. After you do that, if you still have more riding on you, then try some of the others.

I would recommend doing weekdays right before the schools lets out though because once the weather warms up the place will be really crowded on weekends and all summer long. I also recommend going to one of the local bike shops once you get to the area and buying one of the nice fold out maps. I am constantly giving directions to people that have cheapo's and the $13 you spend on the nice one is well worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Pisgah is more technical with more hike a bikes. Dupont is more tame, but is very fun. I think the best source for a place to stay is to search for a cabin to rent on the vrbo website. Just google vrbo asheville or vrbo Brevard. I think mid april to late may is a great time to go.

Big Mac
    For fun city stuff with lots of watering holes and great dining, Asheville is your answer. For epic riding and scenery, Pisgah proper is the answer. My suggestion is to stay in downtown Asheville and take day trips to Pisgah. May is a great time to be here. Downtown Asheville has several groovy hotels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    May is a great time to come to Asheville and ride Pisgah or Dupont. Dupont has more moderate singletrack and wide track with many waterfall views. Pisgah is more technical with challenging singletrack in more remote parts of the forest. Both places offer amazing riding. Here are a few places we recommend staying. Mike and Claudia Nix at Liberty Bikes in Asheville has a cool cabin for rent called Trail's End near Asheville with riding out your door in Bent Creek. Vacation in the Heart of Cycling Paradise - At Asheville's Favorite Bike Shop

Pro Biker Adam Craig stayed at The Red House Inn in Brevard. Red House Inn - A Brevard, NC Bed and Breakfast

Rebecca Banner has a perfect, cozy cottage rental in Asheville that would be excellent for a honeymoon vacation. Asheville Vacation Rental - VRBO 169068 - 2 BR Smoky Mountains House in NC, Walk to Downtown from Charming Cottage, in Historic Montford

Pro racer Jeremiah Bishop stayed at the Bear Ridge Cabin in Brevard. Brevard Vacation Rental - VRBO 309725 - 2 BR Smoky Mountains Cabin in NC, Charming Mountainside Cabin with Plenty of Upgrades & Privacy

Hope you have a great trip and keep riding!! Home - Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures

mtbr member
    If you're looking for something besides a cabin, look at Grove Park Inn. Pricey, but if you've never been there, it's an experience. Downtown Asheville hotels would be Haywood Park, Indigo and Aloft. Make sure you get a room w/ a high up, west-facing view.

Dupont may get crowded on weekends, but Pisgah never does. I second getting the map.

There have been several threads on here lately, if you search, you should find lots of tourist stuff.

NCtrailrider
    Jan 2012
    Brevard is closer to the trail heads for Pisgah and DuPont, but you should stay in Asheville for the great downtown and restaurants/bars. I heard the Inn on Montford is really nice, but like the VRBO suggestion above. Stop in brevard and hit the Hub bike shop and Sycamore cycles they are right across the street from each other. For trails, in Pisgah there are a few near the bike shops. if you park at the Fish Hatchery, you can ride long branch to cat gap that is not too bad for pisgah there are alot more technical trails there if that is what you are looking for. DuPont check out Cedar rock trail. There is some great slick rock trails there and cool vistas. There is a trail head on corn mill shoals road and plenty of off shoots to add mileage. Again not crazy technical but good enough for a weekend warrior.

mtbr member
    I third the Red House Inn suggestion. Daniel and Tracie will guarantee that your time spent in Brevard is really special, and they'll tell you anything you need to know about playing outside. If he's not too busy Daniel might even take you out on a ride.

mtbr member
    X4 on the Red house Inn. Great folks!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.