mtbr member

NCDOT seeks input on bicycle and pedestrian safety

Just saw this on the Citizen Times website.

Survey open until 08FEB2011.

www.ncdot.gov/bikeped

NCDOT SEEKS PUBLIC’S HELP IN IMPROVING BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN SAFETY IN NORTH CAROLINA Wednesday, January 12, 2011

RALEIGH — Do you walk or ride a bicycle in North Carolina? If so, here’s your chance to tell the N.C. Department of Transportation how it can help improve your overall experience. The department is giving the public an opportunity to voice needs and concerns related to bicycle and pedestrian safety through an online survey launched this week.

“Building a safer transportation network is a primary goal of our department, and meeting the safety needs of our state’s bicyclists and pedestrians is a key part of that,” said Deputy Secretary of Transit Jim Westmoreland. “The feedback we receive from this survey will allow us to better plan to meet these needs, and in turn improve the overall biking and walking experience in North Carolina.”

The survey is open to all North Carolina residents and visitors until Feb. 8, and can be accessed on NCDOT’s Division of Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation website at www.ncdot.gov/bikeped.

The results of the survey will be used to identify key problems and emerging concerns, prioritize safety issues and determine the level of public support for future investment in the state's bicycle and pedestrian network. The survey results will be used as a primer to a series of roundtable discussions scheduled for later this year.

The survey is being administered in partnership between NCDOT and the Institute for Transportation Research and Education’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Program at North Carolina State University. For more information, contact Sarah O’Brien at (919) 515-8703 or skworth@ncsu.edu, or Helen Chaney with NCDOT at (919) 807-0780.

mtbr member
    There weren't any open-ended questions where I could state how much pedestrian and biker safety would be increased if there were more highly technical singletrack developed, so, I just kept choosing the "...path and greenways..." option.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Did this from a Face Manual post the other day. There is an "Other" option with space for you to type whatever you want.

Not so sure I want the DOT involved with trails though...

LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    Not so sure I want the DOT involved with trails though...

I second that... If They get involved We will have to put the reflectors back on the bike, PAY for "Safety Inspections", learn what is considered a "Safe Following" distance, and PAY a fine if we ever jump or "Travel TOO Fast for Conditions".

Make a Bike Line for me to travel around town... YES... But NO DOT on the trails Please!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    FYI, it may be open to visitors, but they want a NC zip code before you can submit the survey.

Official Cooler Inspector
    I assumed Mr. S (and you) was joking. The day I have to use one of these to MTB will never happen. Is a cute addition for them city folks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NCDOT seeks input on bicycle and pedestrian safety-no_way.jpg  

LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

mtbr member
    I've really considered doing the above^ - I like that, a whole lot.

As someone who commutes and rides on the road considerably more than I trail ride I was all over this when I saw it. It takes about 7 minutes to fill out, hey I'm happy they're asking.

Commuting via bike safely w/ greenway options is a hell of a lot more important than having technical single track IMVHO. Course I'm posting this in the wrong forum, I know.
    My one says BRAP!

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    I went to Tucson, AZ a few years ago... And could not be all the Bike Lanes... I only wish the Asheville area had such things!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.