Third Degree Hater-Fu

NC/SC Land Conservation Purchase - Recreational!

Long article and I cut/pasted some of it. Anybody know the specific location? We are not far off from locating an area for a dedicated shuttle trail system in our area. Thoughts?
    Link:http://www.citizen-times.com/article...uxuXsscc7dM%3D

The Conservation Fund's purchase of 786 acres on the North Carolina-South Carolina state line marks the first step toward permanently protecting the largest undeveloped, privately owned tract in Western North Carolina.

The $5.5 million deal is the first piece of an 8,000-acre tract conservation groups plan to buy from former U.S. Rep. Charles Taylor for $33 million.

Taylor's Champion Cattle and Tree Farms signed an agreement in the spring to sell the forested land south of Brevard near U.S. 276 to the Conservation Fund and the Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy.

The organizations intend to turn it over to the state for recreational use.
    Known as the East Fork Headwaters Tract, the 8,000-acre tract encompasses most of the headwaters and main stem of the East Fork of the French Broad River.

The tract is four times the size of Mount Mitchell State Park, contains more than 10 miles of trout streams and more than two dozen waterfalls
    I am not a "Role Model"

WNC Native
    Basically between Highway 276, Highway 178, East Fork Road, and the SC state line.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    Basically between Highway 276, Highway 178, East Fork Road, and the SC state line.
    so...would that be near sassafrass mountain? There is some beautiful road riding in that area.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Recreational use will mean everything other than Bikes.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Recreational use will mean everything other than Bikes.
    ...sounds like a job for SORBA MAN!
    I am not a "Role Model"

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    so...would that be near sassafrass mountain? There is some beautiful road riding in that area.
    Yes, part of Sassafrass mountian is in it.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I thought Shrimper owned Sassafrass Mtn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    I thought Shrimper owned Sassafrass Mtn.
    The land mass is between Shrimper's and my house. 12+ miles of the foothills trail runs through the land.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's the land adjacent to the foothills trail so that the trail itself will be protected.Cool eh? It should be noted that this piece of trail is really just a wallered out jeep road that sees regular 4x4 and wheeler traffic. The gvegas water authority uses it regularly for maintainence of the watershed. It is one of the few pieces of foothill trail that isn't hiking only .The catch however is the only parking is in some crazy guy's yard at the gordon mtn knome dome and dirt research facility and he charges a12 pack of micros or a lb. of van's chocolates for 4hr parking space.The upside is Pedro keeps the trail well marked smelling fresh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smells Like Fish
    It's the land adjacent to the foothills trail so that the trail itself will be protected.Cool eh? It should be noted that this piece of trail is really just a wallered out jeep road that sees regular 4x4 and wheeler traffic. The gvegas water authority uses it regularly for maintainence of the watershed. It is one of the few pieces of foothill trail that isn't hiking only .The catch however is the only parking is in some crazy guy's yard at the gordon mtn knome dome and dirt research facility and he charges a12 pack of micros or a lb. of van's chocolates for 4hr parking space.The upside is Pedro keeps the trail well marked smelling fresh
    I'm not going there. Sounds like it would be hard to find my way around and it probably won't be very well maintained.