Go Hokies!
    Feb 2006

National Geographic Topo CDs

I recently picked up the NC and SC Topo CDs. When I went to layout some routes, I could not find all the trails. Is it me or do they lack a lot of trails and roads that you find on Map #780?

The product came highly recommeded from several local stores, so I could just be using it wrong.

Does anyone else have experience with this product?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Trails illustrated & USGS don't always show the same trails

Nat'l Geo. trail info is basically just a composite scan of the current USGS quad maps for a given area. They're only as good as the last survey. Trails Illustrated maps generally have better trail info, but the topo detail isn't nearly as good.

Once you get pretty good with the route tool, you can look at the T.I. maps and draw your route in on the Nat'l Geo. software using terrain features for a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Go Hokies!
    Feb 2006

Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

So mapping out a route is as painstaking as it appears? ie - the slightest wrong move with the mouse and you route becomes a mess.

P.S. I just picked this up last night.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

It gets easier

There's a way to do it segment by segment too, so you can cancel/delete just the last short part where you screwed up. Practice a while, and its not so bad. Using an optical, rather than roller mouse seems to help me stay smoother with the little pencil tool/cursor.