Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTB trails near Burnsville?

6K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  kjlued 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm staying in a cabin up in the mountains a few miles south of Burnsville, NC for the next week....are there any MTB trails close by? I've been searching online and haven't found any yet. I'm staying right in the Pisgah N.F., so I figure there has to be some trails.

Thanks for any help.

#5 ·
What do you consider close?

Don't know what those trails are like but if riding alone, parts of Pisgah can get pretty rough especially if you are not familiar with it. You could travel just a little further to Bent Creek. Plenty of great trails in Bent Creek and they are linked fairly well. Plus if something happens there is enough traffic out there that there will be some assistance.

Just my $.02

Probably about 45 miles from where you will be staying.

#6 ·
Great recommendation. I will be riding solo, so well marked trails would be nice. I've heard Pisgah can be hard to navigate at times.

I will be in Asheville after my stay up here in Burnsville, I'll plan to check out Bent Creek at that time.

Thanks!

#8 ·
I haven't ridden there yet but there is Rocky Knob bike park in Boone which isn't too terribly far from Burnsville. You say you are staying in the Pisgah, so I assume you are talking the Hemlocks or Black Mountain campground areas. Unfortunately not really any bike legal trails in that area. Sanchez is right though the Coleman boundary is probably the closest.

Here is better link. Big Ivy Tour (Coleman Boundary) Best Ride
Bring you big boy pants, and a good map/gps, this is some rough terrain. Actually just read you are doing this solo. Not knowing what kind of a rider you are I'd actually probably not recommend this as a solo route. I'd would actually be a bit reluctant to ride it solo just due to its remoteness.

Though a lot depends on your riding skills, age, etc.

So that leads me back to Rocky Knob in Boone, and maybe Dark Mountain near wilksboro. Kerr Scott Trail Guide

That way you could get taste of that area, and hopefully you would have time to get a tasted of true Pisgah not far from Asheville. Though I wouldn't lump Bent Creek into that category. Don't get me wrong, I ride those trails all the time, but doesn't compare to so true pisgah trails, but the solo thing can be an issue unless you are experienced heading out solo and have good map skills and a great sense of direction.

Make kjlude take you up Laurel>Pilot

#9 ·
I will do it id the timing is right.

Been wanting to get back there again soon.
This time without being hung over. lol
Probably won't be this weekend though since my foot still has not healed and now my shoulder is all F'ed up from going OTB when I hit that mud hole on Catgap this weekend.

#11 ·
Great info guys. I probably am a bit out of my league to go solo on some of these trails...I'm not the most technically advanced rider, and I'm on a hardtail carbon 29er, I'm sure it's not a great setup for the rocks of this area. I'm just hoping to get in some good XC style riding and enjoy the amazing scenery here.

I'm actually prepping for the 50-miler coming up April 28th in the Uwharrie Forest, and the Leadville MTB race later this summer in CO. I got out on my road bike yesterday and enjoyed some of the awesome climbing this area offers.

Where can I pick up the Western NC Trail Guide map?

We're staying in a house ~6 miles south of Burnsville off of 197.

#17 ·
Just rode kitsuma last week, and at the time was thinking that it would be a decent ride on a hardtail. In my opinion, the trail seems more steep and strenuous than technical. It might be a good ride especially if the OP is aerobically fit and willing to climb a very steep pitch. It has nice views on the ridgeline, and the slog up old 70 would be easier on his carbon hardtail. I'm not sure about the car trip from Burnsville to Kitsuma though. If climbing fitness and technical prowess are both lacking, I'd stay away...

I haven't ridden Coleman boundary, so can't comment on that. A day trip to Boone to ride Rocky Knob might be a nice excursion from Burnsville.

There's more variety in Asheville, but it sounds like that's a later stop in his itinerary.

#18 ·
Yeah, it is a b!tch of a climb.
I think it was slightly techy up top but certainly not the most techy I have seen.
Over all, it was OK but not the trail I would send somebody to their first time in the area.

Distance wise, Bent Creek is about 15 minutes closer and in my opinion would offer more bang for the buck.

#21 ·
That is solely your opinion, but that doesn't make it right or universally accepted. Too bad. I gave him another option. Sorry for the difference of opinion.

Too, the OP said he enjoyed the climbing he did on the roadbike...Maybe the climbing at kitsuma would be to his liking.

#23 ·
Kitsuma Mountain Bike Trail in Black Mountain, North Carolina || SINGLETRACKS.COM

The climb does sound inviting, I do love a good climb (I've climbed Mt. Mitchell several times from the Marion side on road bike), but the black diamond difficulty rating steers me away from it. I recently rode trails in CO and the black diamonds I encountered out there were not for me, I could barely hike-a-bike down the trails!

Bent Creek definitely sounds like a place to check out.

#25 ·
Bent Creek is a fun trail system and there is nothing there that I personally find extremely difficult. Now you may feel a little different but SORBA/PAS does beginner rides out there every Wed night. You can get your bang for the buck out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.