DHMTBR.com

Moving Southeast (NC, SC or GA)

Have an opertunaty to move to the Southeast - I am in independant business owner (Film/Video/Photo) and my target market is Small/Medium businesses - so I am fairly flexible in were I can go. I'm currently in Colorado Springs (17years) and do well in a city like this. I have been looking at GA (North Outskirts of Atlanta) but also South and North Carolina.

With all that said, my next objective is Mountan Biking! I live and breathe cycling, I have an XC as my primary rig, but also have a gravity rig for the shuttles and lifts. I have a road bike and ride on the roads for fitness only and have been known to take my BMX to the local skate park for some concrete fun.

I know that I am not going to find mountains like I have here, but I am looking for your options on the scene in your area.
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Yup, follow me on Google+
    https://plus.google.com/+ChrisSgaraglino

mtbr member
    Asheville, NC or Greenville, SC.

Asheville has a better MTB scene but Greenville is nice and pretty close to good riding in Charlotte or WNC. Those would be the places I'd start looking into though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    +1 Asheville.

Its pretty rad here.

Rogue Exterminator
    Best overall mountain biking on the east coast is Asheville/Brevard area.

Job wise, it may not be the best area.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Big Mac

Moving Southeast (NC, SC or GA)

I think Asheville will suit you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by csgaraglino View Post

I know that I am not going to find mountains like I have here, but I am looking for your options on the scene in your area.
    Do not underestimate the mountains here. While you won't find 7k feet of relief like Pikes or in Carbondale or above tree line riding, the climbing over here can hurt you. It's not the Rockies but it is Pisgah.

As far as moving, look at Greenville, SC. Lots of mtb opps within 10 minutes to 1.5 hours. Road options are endless and Upstate SORBA organizes several city events/rides thru out the year. If you do come, welcome to the south.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You might want to check out Chattanooga and maybe Knoxville TN as well. The riding in Chattanooga is probably second only to the asheville area, maybe better depending on how much you value DH/shuttling as aville really has none. Chattanooga is also only around 2 hours from ATL and about 3:30ish to asheville with biking spots all along the way (if you take hwy 64). Knoxville has some great biking as well and probably a DH spot in windrock. It is only 2ish hrs from asheville.

As for jobs in asheville, it is a tough market, but if you are BYOJ as it sounds you are then you should be good.

mtbr member

Re: Moving Southeast (NC, SC or GA)

I love Chattanooga. Raccoon Mtn right above the city is a great mix of xc trails of different levels, and a nice little gravity trail in 'Live Wire'. Double black chunk, flowing xc, and gravity trails at White Oak Mtn. Tanasi, Enterprise, 5 Points, Chilhowee, etc... Quality for sure and pretty good quantity.

What is great about it is that it's centrally located between other great riding hotspots that are doable as weekend destinations. You can still hit Pisgah/Dupont on the weekend. Or hit Coldwater Mtn, Oak Mtn, Monte Sano, and more, in Northern Alabama. More variety of styles than I'm aware of in/around Asheville.

Depends if you are going to live right at the doorstep, or drive to trailheads. You can't touch Asheville(Brevard really) as a one stop shop. Few places boast the mileage AND quality. Some places can match or exceed in quality, IMO.

mtbr member
    There's a pretty good thread on this maybe 1 page back, lots of good info I remember.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Carbon8er
    Pisgah Forest inc. is where forest entrance is and the bike shops are right at the entrance.

Brevard is a just few miles away from the entrance, but you can get to Pisgah forest trails from downtown Brevard via Bracken MTN trail system now.

Asheville is a great town, but the bulk of the Pisgah trails are over this way.

You have Bent Creek just outside of Asheville

You have to bring your own business with you if you plan on moving to Brevard area.
    30,000+ people in Transyvania county
    Approx 55% on the country is national and State forest with hundreds of miles of trails

Oscar Blues, Sierra Nevada and several other brewers moved to the area recently.
    Brevard is a cool little college town

This area (Pisgah Forest) has allot going for it
    It's a biker,hiker, paddler, climber and trout fisherman paradise

hope that info helps.

mapquest link
    MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Ambassador of Fun
    Jun 2008
    Based on your needs/wants, Asheville IS the place for you. It checks all the boxes you mentioned and there are good tax incentives for people working in the Film Industry. I have a number of friends in the film business and do some video for my Real Estate business and for fun. I spent most of my life on two wheels from BMX to XC to DH and the past 15 years a Real Estate Broker. If you would like some more information, check out my website for videos / photos of local trails. Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email with any questions you have.

Best,

Justin Mitchell, Broker
    Mosaic Community Lifestyle Realty
    justin@justinasheville.com
    Capturing the Asheville Experience via photography, video and words.

www.justinasheville.com