mtbr member

Moving to Charlotte! Bring on the biking!

Okay, so I'm moving to Charlotte next month. How's the biking? What's the travel time to get to some exciting rides? I'm on a Fuel EX, so I'm no stranger to riding and have been riding for 10 years. I can only imagine it's pretty sweet considering I live in Florida currently and love the riding that we have to offer.

Anyone know of good areas to rent in? AKA, my GF and I are 25 years old, outgoing, social, etc. I'm a pilot, so I'm going to be traveling a bunch, so I don't want her sitting alone in the boonies - rather I'd want her to be home in an "exciting" area.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Don't know much about living in Charlotte, but there are a lot of options (I'm in Greenville SC). I would say that the northwest quadrant of the area puts you in the best position - Kerr Scott is a little over an hour and if you are situated close to I-40 (Huntersville area seems nice and close to the lake too) you can shoot down to Old Fort in a bit over an hour and be in Asheville (I-40) or Pisgah (I-85, US74, I-26) in about 2 hours. Not too bad. I have not been to the Whitewater Center, but I have heard good things. It's also not too far from the airport (you say your a pilot, so I'm assuming a short commute to the airport is a plus, too). Just my $0.02.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member

Yeah I need to live within 45 mins since I'm on call. Not flying for airlines thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My wife and I moved up from Fl about 2 yrs ago. We are in the Chapel Hill area & we love it up here. My MTB time has increased exponentially. I don't know much about Charlotte rental area, but like 'Ride-Beer' said Kerr-Scott (Warrior Creek Trail) is great. I am sure that there is plenty of local trail that you will find once you move up... get in tight with a LBS

The biggest plus is being able to ride from my apartment... unlike in Fl where we had to drive at least an hr to get somewhere decent. I do miss Fl trails like Carter & Alafia. I have seen some recent Santos vids that look pretty sweet too.

Bottom line: The MTB scene up here is a hell of a lot better, but enjoy those last Fl rides when you still can!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I moved from San Diego to Charlotte 5 years ago, I live in Huntersville. I love it here!
    I do miss surfing but the mountain biking is better!

There is a decent trail 5 minutes from my house, North Mecklenburg Park. Not bad for a quick afterwork ride. Lake Norman State Park has some sweet single track maintained by the Tarheel Trailblazers. Tarheel TrailBlazers Charlotte's Premier Mountain Bike Club About 40 miles of trails.

There's Fisher Farm in Davidson, Sherman Branch, Whitewater Center, then 2 hours away in the mountains...Pisgah, DuPont State Park, Brevard.

Down south in GA is F.A.T.S., Up north in VA is Round Mountain.

A bunch of good riding. You will be stoked!
    2009 Intense Tracer VP / On-One 456 / '99 Homegrown Factory

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Whitewater Center is good. Go there, there is also rafting and kayaking and beer there as well. Not far up 77 from Charlotte is Burnt Mountain and Over Mountain Victory Trail. Both are very much worth riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I live in the Denver area close to Huntersville and would recommend Huntersville as a good place to live/rent. Lots of good spots to hangout, relax, and be close to the lake. Also, as G-Ryder mentioned, close to a lot of good trails. From Huntersville, most trails in the area can be reached within 15-30 drive depending on which you go to.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    If you are 25 move downtown. NODA or central ave. tons of local trails in 20 mins for me and real mountain biking in 2 hours. I would kms if I lived in huntersville etc at 25

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Supercrusty has a good point. NODA is more hip for younger folks with no kids. Lots of local breweries and places to see shows (live music) and closer to the city for even more entertainment. Still close enough to good riding. NODA stands for North of Davidson, which is a street north of the city. If I was 25 I would move to NODA! Very cool, chill part of Charlotte.

Huntersville is better if you are older and have kids and a family (like me).
    2009 Intense Tracer VP / On-One 456 / '99 Homegrown Factory

mtbr member
    If you live in town you will be within 15 min of white water, Sherman, Renaissance, springs, river walk, Baxter, back yard trail and more.
    All offer diverse trails, 6-12 miles of great single track fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Also you have lift accessed DH and XC riding at Beech (sugar too) which is ~2hrs away. Rocky Knob park is there are well.

If you like the bar/social scene then downtown is for you. Or at least near the lynx (light rail).

mtbr member

Awesome info guys! Thanks.

A friend of mine has a cabin on Beech Mountain so I'll have to see what that's all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robtre
    I live in Huntersville, and pretty centrally located to North Charlotte trails, WWC, Lake Norman State Park, Uwharrie, Fisher Farm. Huntersville is a great place to live. I have been here 4 years and Charlotte area is fantastic and the cycling community is strong.
    -rides bikes for fun.