mtbr member
    Dec 2004

moving to asheville area?

My husband and I have thought about moving to the asheville area in the future. We are planning on visiting this fall to check out the town, but first we were wondering if you can ride right out the front door and be on trails within an hour or so. If so, where exactly is a good area to check out? We are looking for some great trails and forest roads to connect them. We love those long epic rides.
    Also my husband is a manager at a local bike shop and is looking for a job in the area. Is there alot of bike shops in the asheville area?

i'm sure i'll have more questions soon, but here is a good start.
    thanks

arbiter
    Aug 2005
    In short, yes.

There are plenty of shops to work at, but there are just as many people dreaming of working and riding within the sphere of cycling too.

There are also plenty of epic rides in Pisgah. They are all linkable through Bent Creek as well, which is 15 minutes away from Asheville. You could ride from Asheville to the trails, but the 9 miles of asphalt are no fun.

Via the car, you can be in Pisgah national forest within 30 minutes. The main entrance to Pisgah -route 276- is about 40 minutes away.

There is DuPont national forest as well. All good times.

There are plenty of good information-filled threads hanging around these parts. Read back a few pages and all will be revealed.

pronounced may-duh
    If you want to ride out your door the I suggest you live in the bent creek subdivison. If your OK with riding 1 hour to the trail then live within a 1 hour radius of bent creek.

There are many other loctaions that are in the Asheville region that are close to other trailheads but Bent Creek is the only one that's praticaly in the city limits.

Bent creek is south west of Downtown Asheville on Brevard Road near the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Good luck with the bike shop job

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    It just pains me to read threads about moving to Asheville... I lived there for only a year in 2004 and made one of those negative life-changing decisions and moved away for a job that paid 60% more (same stoopid place I worked before moving to Asheville). I would give back all the money to get back there. The funny thing is, I didn't want to move there at the time, but was out of work and coincidentally found a job there.

When I moved there I wasn't in to biking, but had been many years before... by the end of 2004 I was nutso about mountain biking and loved it... and I lived off of 191 only 2 miles from Bent Creek. Now, even if I can get hired back where I worked, I probably wouldn't be able to afford the nice house I had before.

I'm hoping I can work it out again.

That's my sob story and I'm sticking to it.
    I read that on the internet.