Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Most technhical, rocky trail in NC?

16K views 144 replies 39 participants last post by  photocodo 
#1 ·
looking for something with a lot of rock gardens, drops and other rough technical terrain, I know western nc is my best bet, but which trail?

#44 ·
I'm really hoping that this was written sarcastically.
I just went there for the first time, based on a lot of info I'd read and heard about Rocky Knob including your post. Seemed like it was going to be a pretty sick bit of technical trail riding.
Turns out Rocky Knob is a fine trail that's had a ton of money poured into it, making for a really nice local trail for the folks of Boone. They've done a great job of fitting a lot of quality trail into a relatively small plot of land.
But, please don't let anyone get the mis-impression that Rocky Knob is very technical. It just isn't.
That is all.

#26 ·
The Black Mountain Ravine..
it used to be a trail but is now a ravine, or deep ditch,or the beginnings of a canyon.
It was getting pretty blown out way before this summers downpours but is now a real deep ditch.
Just get in the center of the ravine and have at it...

#30 ·
I'd echo the Grandfather District. I walked a lot of Farlow last time I rode it. Bennett is always good for a pucker. The last 30 feet of Heartbreak is pretty steep. There are others, but not to be mentioned, they don't actually exist.

#31 ·
Farlow and Pilot as far as the Brevard area Pisgah stuff
Bennet Gap, but only technical for a short section.

Pilot is nice because you get to ride Laurel mountain first and that is a great trail
Farlow is meaner than pilot, IMO, and then you get ride down the rocky side of Daniel which is one of my favs.

#39 ·
What about uphill gnar? No one I know of is riding up Farlow, pushing maybe. Not really talking about pure trials riding or never ending climbs either. I am talking about technical rocky, rooty gnar that if you clean it you feel like a super hero.

If you can clean all of Laurel Mtn , minus the one hike-a-bike, you have some mad tech skills, IMHO.

What are your favorite gnar climbs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.