mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Mortimer campground, walk up only + availability

Hey folks, looking to grab a campsite at Mortimer in Wilson Creek this weekend with some friends and dogs and bikes, wondering what to expect for availability. Walk up only, and only 15 sites! You guys have good luck grabbing one? Earliest we could get there is about 9am Friday morning. Worried abt driving 2hrs from Hendersonville to a full campground!

Whatchya think?

mtbr member
    If the campground is full, head back BMB road and go up Craig Creek Rd. (FR982) and grab one of the many spots along the road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Never seen it totally full. But, if so, either follow moto mikes advice and find something along craig creek (if you go up and over the crest, and back down the other side, there's spots at the bottom of Sinkhole (on the left) or, if you turn right at the intersection, along the road towards the bottom of Beehive); or, keep driving up to Edgemont, turn left on Pineola, and snag spots at the intersection of Pineola and Kawana roads. You could also continue through Edgemont and camp at the top of 21 Jumps . . . so many options! Good luck!

mtbr member
    I've seen it full a couple times during peak leaf looking weekends. Worst case scenario you might have to back track out 982 but there are some rad spots for sure. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Also, if you're going to be riding any of the trails around Mortimer (which I assume), you'll notice that a lot of it has been signed and blazed lately. Especially in the 21 jumps/upper wilson ridge/schoolhouse zone. Enjoy. Thorpes has several trees down on it again, but we're making moves to get that sorted soon since that's a really popular winter ride route. Schoolhouse is back to being barely rideable right now, with some new, very deep trenches scoured out in the gully. A few spots you will bottom out your pedals and handlebar on the sides of the ditch and your tires won't be touching the ground. Beware!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Mike, agree with you about the state of Schoolhouse... do you know if there are any plans in the works for it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ...and to the original post, I would be very surprised to see the campground full if you got there any time on Friday morning, same goes for the free sites mentioned above. Last couple of weekends have been pretty busy but you'll always find a spot if you get there earlier enough on Friday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    fix schoolhouse? find rocks! insert into gully! (i heard a niner will roll it tho...maybe it's time for you to get off that tiny wheeled toy bike, derek@!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    fix schoolhouse? find rocks! insert into gully!
    Excellent, good to hear that you have it under control. I wont be up this weekend but if you could have it done for the following weekend that would be great, thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the posts guys. Had a great weekend. We had our pick of sites, got there arnd 12 on Friday. By 2pm it was booked up though!

Actually didn't ride though, hiking and fishing. Great time though need to get out there more....and bring the bike!

App-a-LATCH-un
    Is the bulldog ranger still there that will come all up in your roadside campsite and yell at you and shake you down and waste several hours of your life that you had saved up for peaceful nature enjoyment?
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    never done it to me or anyone I know, at least past 5 years or so. any area in particular?

App-a-LATCH-un
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    never done it to me or anyone I know, at least past 5 years or so. any area in particular?
    That is good to hear. I hope he was eaten slowly by alligators or sharks or pigs. May satan have no mercy on his soul.
    It was the road to bottom of SH. Upper creek road I believe.
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
    That is good to hear. I hope he was eaten slowly by alligators or sharks or pigs. May satan have no mercy on his soul.
    It was the road to bottom of SH. Upper creek road I believe.
    Careful what you wish for...

Forestry officer and his K-9 killed in NC shootout with murder suspect | WBTW.com