mtbr member
    May 2006

Morewood or Pivot or ...

Just cracked the toptube on my 08 Morewood Mbuzi and am in the market for a new frame. Morewood retailer will probably give me a 30% or so discount on a new frame. Problelm is I'm not sure I like any of the new models. The only option would be an XL Jabula whichis 6.6 travel (similar to Mbuzi which had 6.3ish). I also was looking at the XL Pivot Firebird Frames which also has 6.6 travel. The specs seem similar. Since the Mbuzi is a single pivot design, I'm not super familiar with the DW on the Pivot or whatever Morewoods is called now. Any input or suggestions. I am 6'4" and agressive trailrider in Asheville. And no 29ers, since I just build a set of Chris King/DT wheels about 6 months ago.

thanks for any input or opinions.

Morewood - Morewood Jabula 2012 - FR101

Bike Detail | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The firebird is supposed to be one of the best pedaling 6.5+" bikes around, and super plush. Bike park capable, etc.

Though you may also want to swing a leg over a Nomad and a Mojo HD, too.

You're going to get more pedaling efficiency with DW Link (and VPP) than with single pivot. You may sacrifice some plushness from your single pivot. Horst Link/FSR may be what you want if you want something more active/plush, but that suspension wallows and Specialized slings their BB really low.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No Santa Cruz. I had a Bullit which I loved and still have and just feel something different.

XC Champion
    May 2006
    I've owned 4 brand new Morewoods but I'll never spend another penny on one after the recent BS drama. Get the Pivot and be stoked!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by drkenan View Post
    I've owned 4 brand new Morewoods but I'll never spend another penny on one after the recent BS drama. Get the Pivot and be stoked!
    That's what was thinkig and now that Richard is no longer with them, it appears that nearest retailer/US rep is in Oregon. I like the Pivots, but I have nit actually ridden a large or XL and am worried about buying a frame without at least sitting on it. It seems XL is nit a common size that Shops carry...

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I ride my Firebird in Pisgah quite a bit. It doesn't climb like a race bike but its a better climber than my old 5 Spot was. I've lugged it around on 7-8 hour rides on several occasions. For trails like Black Mountain, Buckwheat, Bennett, Coontree, etc.. with some of the bigger pisgah chunk it is capable of some crazy speeds and maneuvers its more plush than my last DH bike.
    I think Motion Makers can hook you up on one

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Mojo hd?
    I think you are messing up not looking at the carbon nomad it dominates in pisgah

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    Mojo hd?
    I think you are messing up not looking at the carbon nomad it dominates in pisgah
    HAve owned Santa Cruz. Not out of the question but not on the top of the list. Ibis, pretty much a no on that. Why? Just because I'm not a big fan.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I am a huge fan of pivot and Love my Mach 5. i am a 220 rider and beat it up pretty good and have had no problems with it in 4 years. You should be well pleased with the Firebird. If money is an issue though my next look would be at the Titus El Guopo, you can get a new frame with tapered head tube, and rear shock for $999. But if you have the money get the Pivot. Take into consideration that the new firebirds are capable of a 142mm rear axel and the older frames are not.

ohhman
    Rocky Mtn. Slayer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ANy input on a Cannondale Claymore. Seems like similar geometry and looks pretty cool. Does have adjustable travel from 110mm to 180mm. Seems like it would be a good Pisgah bike. I have no experience with Cannondale though...

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
    ANy input on a Cannondale Claymore. Seems like similar geometry and looks pretty cool. Does have adjustable travel from 110mm to 180mm. Seems like it would be a good Pisgah bike. I have no experience with Cannondale though...
    I have had C-dales in the past and never likes how everything was specifically made for the frames. It was really hard to upgrade and change out parts. I imagine that the Claymore is even more so. You can throw almost any shock or fork with the proper amount of travel on a pivot which is a big plus in my book.

There are a lot of great bikes out there. SO the real question might need to be which shop has the best staff for you to work with. I here Hub cycles has the best wrench around and I have always had good experiences going into Liberty bike.

dog
    sit! stay!
    agree with Endomaniac... just rode my firebird down from Black Mountain this past weekend... getting up there from Buckhorn Gap wasn't all that awesome. i think i'd need a hover bike for me to make that climb w/o hiking ... that or learn to do trials riding... yes, i know, you local folks pedal that up that run all the time with a ss, 16 tooth, fixed frame, 29er bikes without even taking a breath...

the firebird is a great climber though. the DW puts your power to the drive train but the suspension keeps working to get you up steep, bumpy stuff that a bike like that just should not be able to climb... i have kept my firebird frame longer than i have kept any other frame i have owned... when they make a plastic firebird, i'll get one of those, too...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by drkenan View Post
    What was the drama at Morewood? I have a Morewood that I bought from Richard. I love it. Why'd he leave? He was a pleasure to deal with.