mtbr member

Moore's Springs Trails in danger of being closed!

I didn't see a thread talking about the impending closure of MST. The land is owned by NCSU, and they have decided to close it and Camp Sertoma effective 1/1/14. We are trying to get them to change their minds and let the trails remain open.

There is more info on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MooresSpringsTrails

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    MST is an amazing trail, my favorite honestly. The build quality, the attention to detail, everything about it is top notch. It would be a shame if it were to be closed.

If you have ridden it, helped with it's construction or maintenance, please help and show your support.

mtbr member
    That sucks. I've ridden there many times and Tony and the volunteers have much invested. I just sent an email. Here it is for anyone interested in copy and pasting, even if you've never been to the trails.

"I am writing to voice my support for the great recreation assets at Moore's Springs Trails and Campground. As an experienced mountain biker, I cannot emphasize enough the value of well-built and thoughtfully designed trail systems. I feel MST is a great asset to the triad area and stokes county. Winston Salem lacks the legal and well-maintained trail systems that are found in Wilkesboro and Greensboro. MST is the closest thing to this that mountain bikers have in this area. I have spent many days exploring the trails there and am always amazed by the splendor of the property. It is one of the few places in the area that is reminiscent of the great trails and beautiful terrain of the western parts of NC. Losing access to these trails would be a tragedy to those that use them and those that have put so much time, energy, and money into the project. I urge you to do everything in your power to keep these trails open."

Send to:

marshall_stewart AT ncsu.edu
    joe_zublena AT ncsu.edu
    richard_linton AT ncsu.edu
    Chancellor AT ncsu.edu

lamer
    I've yet to make my way up there, but I always thought the land belonged to the campground. Is the campground owned by NCSU, too?

mtbr member
    Mueller -

Thanks! The emails are getting noticed by TPTB!

llamma -

Yes, they also own the campground. Both facilities are in danger of closing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Any news on closure?

mtbr member
    They are still adding more sections of trail, so I think they are going to be open for a while longer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The MST trails were indeed closed on Jan 1 2014, including the corresponding campground. Absolutely insane. Tony (The trail builder) is livid and so are the campground owners. So much so they didn't even update the websites to announce closure. There is some hope they may reopen soon as of this post.

The MST website states from October 2013:

In addition to those emails coming to Dr. Stewart (marshall_stewart@ncsu.edu), now please also include the other email addresses below. If you have already sent an email, then please forward that email to these other folks. If you've not yet sent an email, then please do and include these gentlemen in your contacts.

The folks that also need to hear from you are Joe Zublena, head of Cooperative Extension (joe_zublena@ncsu.edu), Richard Linton, Dean of the NCSU College of Ag and Life Sciences (richard_linton@ncsu.edu) and W. Randolph Woodson, NCSU Chancellor (Chancellor@ncsu.edu).