mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Monstercross race on a road bike?

My wife signed up the this years Monstercross race which looks like all forest service road and pavement. If thick mud isn't an issue, are there other concerns with using her carbon framed road bike with CX tires? This is a sport class bike bike not a high end road racer.

Thanks

mtbr member
    All kinds of bikes ran it last year; I'd say just straight up road bikes w/ strong road tires were the most common. The race, however, was won on a road-friendly mtb set-up.

mtbr member
    I rode a mountain bike with cross tires.

I didn't have a single flat but used all my tubes handing them to "roadies" who were walking their bikes.

I also finished something like.... 3 days after the race started.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks Mike and Extreme Tomato! Time to look for some beefy road tires.

ET, So you can run 700 tires on 29er rims? That's something I'd like to try myself.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by radred View Post
    Thanks Mike and Extreme Tomato! Time to look for some beefy road tires.

ET, So you can run 700 tires on 29er rims? That's something I'd like to try myself.
    The ISO of 700c road tires and 29er mtb tires is identical at 622mm. The only difference is width/volume.

So the answer to your question is yes, but you need to be aware of the width of the mountain rim you are using. If you have a narrower mtb rim you ~might~ get a 28mm tire to work safely, but it would seem pointless. You should look into a 32c or wider cross or touring tire.

Continental Top Contact II in 37 or 42 width would be ideal for MonsterCross
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    After a bit more research and measuring, I learned a 700x25 is the max size recommended by Trek on her 2011 Madone. The brakes are the most limiting factor. A 28 would barely fit if deflated when mounting the wheel, but could cause serious issues if there's any mud. Looks like the Schwalbe Marathon or perhaps Continental Gatorskin are her best choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I rode the Devil's Backbone mountain cross last August on a Vassago Fisticuff with Easton XC2 wheels and Michelin Jet CX tires at about 50psi. Flatted twice in the last 15 miles on a sharp gravel double track section but had no problems on the deeper graveled earlier sections. I plan to try it this year on my CAAD with tubeless Gatorskin setup.