mtbr member

Monster Cross tire choice (who didn't flat?)

If you DIDN'T flat at Pisgah Monster Cross, would you mind sharing what tires/pressures/body weight you were running?

For me, I had hutchinson pyranhas, 60psi, 155lb, and had two flats. One was a major blow-out (as in BOOOOOM...tire goes off the rim) that left me with chunks of metal missing from my wheel. Let me tell ya, a bare rim does not steer or brake very well at high speeds on gravel. I'd really like to avoid that happening again.

When did you get here?!?!
    I didn't race (obviously) but I'll tell you what I'm running successfully on the course:
    Schwalbe Marathon Race in 38 on the front and 35 on the back. Wide rims. Tube in the front at 60/70#. Stan's in the back at 50ish. Slick tread for the road and ask anyone that rides with me, the slick tread doesn't hold me back on the gravel descents.
    I've tried quite a few combos and feel that touring tires are the best bet for this type of riding. CX tires just are not burly enough.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    60psi would equal "BOOM" for me too! I never run over 30psi in my tires. 2.6 DHF in ft @ 20psi 2.5 Nevy in bk @ 25-30psi max. & I'm 200 geared up.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

paintbucket
    35mm Conti CX Speeds. 65 front, 70 rear, with tubes. Light thoughts. I weigh 170.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    For the PMC, I ran Clement Xplor Ush 120tpi 35's setup tubeless with 42psi rear/40psi front and had no flats. For the past 11 months before the race, I've used Clement Xplor MSO 120tpi 40's setup tubeless with 38/36 psi and have had zero flats riding most of the same gravel roads on a regular basis. I like the MSO 40's much better and have just changed back to them for Three Peaks this weekend. I weigh 153 and ride a Ridley Disc alloy CX bike with ZTR Crest wheels.

mtbr member
    readycpa, you don't get rim strikes at that low pressure? I'm almost guaranteed a pinch flat on rough gravel at 50psi. I'd be afraid of ruining my rim around 40?..

Thanks everyone...good info. It seems there are a lot more variations and opinions for this kind of racing than in other disciplines. I just wish tires weren't so expensive!..it really makes it hard to experiment with different setups! I think I'm leaning towards the touring tire option, but a skinny tire that weighs almost as much as a lightweight 29" XC just seems wrong...

mtbr member
    No rim strikes for me on the Clements but I am running them tubeless. With tubes, the recommended psi on the MSO 40's is 65-90. The 120tpi's are a bit pricey but 60tpi's are pretty reasonable at ebikestop.com. As far as I know, Clement is the only one right now that makes a true "adventure racing" tire and lots of guys are using these for epic gravel races like the Dirty Kanza 200.

mtbr member
    Isn't there a road bike forum for these questions?

mtbr member
    The race was won on a mtn bike...so I figured you guys would know best

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlavC View Post
    The race was won on a mtn bike...so I figured you guys would know best
    + I don't think Eric Wever/Pisgah Productions put on any races that would be appropriate for the roadie forum.

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Isn't there a road bike forum for these questions?
    yeah, I think I found the link for it here:

29er Bikes

i need to develop my crashing skills...

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Quote Originally Posted by readycpa View Post
    + I don't think Eric Wever/Pisgah Productions put on any races that would be appropriate for the roadie forum.
    Except maybe a race that's 100% done on road....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zod View Post
    Except maybe a race that's 100% done on road....
    dingdingdingdingding

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I had good success with my BFG All Terrain KO in a 31x10.5x15. They were tubeless at about 32-34 psi. I weigh 190, and had about 150 gallons of water in the back.

mtbr member
    Well...at least we had a few useful, on topic posts before the horde of trolls arrived

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well we trolls apologize for being out there all day fixing bikes for the racers.

Good commuter tires are the ticket. CX tires are for racing on cx terrain. The same way maxxis aspens are no good for commuting on road even though they roll smooth. I run conti gatorskins in a 28c with fenders, and Maxxis overdrives in a fatter width when I don't. Both are under $60 in the shops, and both will get you through monster cross if you can steer.

mtbr member
    Thanks! ...for the tire advice, and being out there...both much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    Well we trolls apologize for being out there all day fixing bikes for the racers.

Good commuter tires are the ticket. CX tires are for racing on cx terrain. The same way maxxis aspens are no good for commuting on road even though they roll smooth. I run conti gatorskins in a 28c with fenders, and Maxxis overdrives in a fatter width when I don't. Both are under $60 in the shops, and both will get you through monster cross if you can steer.

mtbr member
    I have not done anything like monster cross, but have done well over a thousand miles of loaded touring, including the CT but also including a lot of paved and rough gravel road with panniers. Using touring type tires (or ExiWolf's on the CT), I flatted no more often than any other ride.

I agree that touring tires are the way to go. Eric flies on them, dropping me on my converted mtb like I'm grabbing brake...

Which kind of trolling? There's the kind that lives below bridges and the kind that dangle lures...sometimes, I have a hard time telling the difference.

mtbr member
    Kenda Happy Medium 32c whatever they call their tubeless specific "it's aOK to use sealant" line. I was cautious running 60psi, dropped a little before I descended wash creek. NO flats. SCREW tubes. There's not a good tubeless rim option quite yet. I'm running Iron Cross rims which are fair, little flexy in the build up and on super sketch ball downhills. I was running 28c gator skin contis with tubes and really almost thought about going that route until I flatted on them about 2 weeks out before the race. Tubeless for CX is ready. I'm still not convinced about road tubeless though...
    My one says BRAP!