mtbr member

maybe moving.. anywhere near wilmington to ride?

I may have an opportunity and my dream job in Wilmington,NC. One thing that has me really bummed is the fact that it's so damned flat down there. coming from NE Ohio, I'm used to decent hills/small mountains and awsome flowy singletrack. This is seriously something i have to consider, because I'm the type that loves the outdoors and loves to be in the woods. So, my fellow MTBR folks.. any places on the SE end of NC that is decent to ride.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by motherfudpucker
    I may have an opportunity and my dream job in Wilmington,NC. One thing that has me really bummed is the fact that it's so damned flat down there. coming from NE Ohio, I'm used to decent hills/small mountains and awsome flowy singletrack. This is seriously something i have to consider, because I'm the type that loves the outdoors and loves to be in the woods. So, my fellow MTBR folks.. any places on the SE end of NC that is decent to ride.
    Wilmington is pretty flat, but there is some riding in the area, go to http://www.sirbikesalot.com he's got a good breakdown of all the trails in that area, they also make 5-6 roadtrips a year to ride the great trails of western NC

mtbr member
    If I had lived in Wilmington for the past several years, I'd probably have developed some strong interests in sea kayaking, slow water canoing, surfing, sailing, and/or birding. Those are the primary outdoor activities in the area, and some darn fine ones at that. Like Mr. Brad says, there's some riding, but it's the flatlands and the coast- so that's what there.
    Enough of my un-informed rambling.
    Mike

mtbr member
    no, please keep the ramblings coming.. honestly, I just got back from there on sunday. I kinda was looking over the whole area. It seems like the cost of living is kinda high, compared to where im from. An I just can get over how flat it is and the lack of good, old fashioned dirt.. It seems like everywhere is just sand or a sand/dirt weed mix.

Not knocking the city, as nightlife there was great.. (we went to Rum Runners downtown which had dueling piano's and was a great time)

I'm just not sure if it's where i want to call home....

Something that is going to take alot of thinking about

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    If you want to live in NC and still have close prox good mtn biking + job market better look at Charlotte, Triangle, Triad....maybe Asheville if you can find a job there.

Burp, gargle, spit.
    I lived in ILM for 10 years, graduating from UNCW. There are a few trails around, but only a few, the Sir Bikes A Lot website is really good, tells you where they all are. You'll probably be doing more road biking, or like Mike Brown says, getting into surfing, boating, fishing, or other coastal activities(or workin' on your tan). You are correct, the nightlife is sweet, and everybody has a great attitude towards life. I've read a recent CNN article naming ILM as a top 10 market for real estate appreciation, so if you own property, you'll have a good shot at making some $. I never found the cost of living too high, rent and/or mortgage payment is affordable, and lots of beer/drink specials to help the wallet. Don't know what your "dream job" is, but if you get any sort of employment that is paying decently down there, jump on it, you'll love the area and the people. I moved to the Charlotte area after graduation b/c of the job market, and if you like hills, makin' $, and MTB'ing, this is the place. With Pisgah only being 2 hours away, and the 7 - 8 trails we have around, it's really nice. I found Charlotte to be affordable and beuatiful, a little dry as far as nightlife goes and plenty of soccer moms, but all and all, I'm settin' up shop in CLT for a few years. Hope that helped in a way, let me know if you have more specific questions about ILM, and I'll try and answer as best I can. Good luck, and I've always considered ILM to be as close to paradise as one can get, (bikinis played a part in that desicion).