rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

looking for a wilson's creek guide

Hoping to learn my way around Wilson's Creek, and would like to latch on with locals for some riding. I may be able to get out this Sunday 6/2, or the weekends of 6/15-16 or 6/29-30. May have some availability on sporadic weekdays if that works better. Reply/PM if interested. I'll throw in a little post-ride brew, if any additional enticement helps.

I'm a fairly advanced rider and used to hills, so shouldn't slow you down too much.

Thanks

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    They suck no need to go there

mtbr member
    I might ride for a couple hours early this Sunday.It will only be for a couple hours, have to go to work around 10 so if you have a long drive might not be worth it.We ride all of the time though, no need to entice me with brews, I don't drink.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I am probably going to ride also. I am not doing any of the lesser known trails that Brad is likely doing however. I am planning on being on the trail around 10:30. Around 3 hours or so of ride time.

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the replies and offers. Looks like sugar brad may not be able to ride in the am, and I can't make the time window to meet up with 2morrow. I'd like to try again in a couple weeks. Seems like a place to go with some locals until I get more comfortable with the trails.

Rode there once last year with a couple friends. Hard to keep my bearings as we started off on an unmarked trail. Parked at a gated forest svc road, ?4074 and immediately jumped into a great singletrack descent that snaked though the trees and seemed to parallel 181. I think we eventually came out onto 982, but I could be mistaken. From there, climbed and climbed on more dirt roads. Gradually turned to double track, eventually had a long descent down a singletrack trail (gully type trail, but rideable). I remember crossing the creek (more like a river), and think we ended up around Harper creek trail. Dropped down to Wilson creek road, riding in the downstream direction. From there, we took a right turn, followed by another long fireroad climb. Met up with some guys who worked for a Boone bike shop and headed toward sinkhole. I think we turned left on another gated road, then took a right on the actual sinkhole trail. Sinkhole was incredible. I think that eventually dropped us back to 982, which we climbed up to 181, then paved climb to the car. Anyway, I wish I could reconstruct this ride, or that I'd had a GPS that day. Not sure if any of this makes sense to you locals.

If anyone has route suggestions or saved GPS files of rides, please let me know. Otherwise, I may just bump this thread or reach out again in a couple weeks to try this again. Glad to know that there are people that get out there regularly.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa View Post
    Thanks for the replies and offers. Looks like sugar brad may not be able to ride in the am, and I can't make the time window to meet up with 2morrow. I'd like to try again in a couple weeks. Seems like a place to go with some locals until I get more comfortable with the trails.

Rode there once last year with a couple friends. Hard to keep my bearings as we started off on an unmarked trail. Parked at a gated forest svc road, ?4074 and immediately jumped into a great singletrack descent that snaked though the trees and seemed to parallel 181. I think we eventually came out onto 982, but I could be mistaken. From there, climbed and climbed on more dirt roads. Gradually turned to double track, eventually had a long descent down a singletrack trail (gully type trail, but rideable). I remember crossing the creek (more like a river), and think we ended up around Harper creek trail. Dropped down to Wilson creek road, riding in the downstream direction. From there, we took a right turn, followed by another long fireroad climb. Met up with some guys who worked for a Boone bike shop and headed toward sinkhole. I think we turned left on another gated road, then took a right on the actual sinkhole trail. Sinkhole was incredible. I think that eventually dropped us back to 982, which we climbed up to 181, then paved climb to the car. Anyway, I wish I could reconstruct this ride, or that I'd had a GPS that day. Not sure if any of this makes sense to you locals.

If anyone has route suggestions or saved GPS files of rides, please let me know. Otherwise, I may just bump this thread or reach out again in a couple weeks to try this again. Glad to know that there are people that get out there regularly.

Thanks again!
    You started out on a trail called Greentown, right off of 181, and then climbed up to Raider Camp which dropped you out down in Mortimer. Then climbed up FR 982 to Sinkhole (Holly Springs on the map). Hope that helps you figure it out on a map.