I think we lost 'em.

Looking for easy going mostly down hill trails for novices (Triangle area)

Hi all,

Some of us at work who like to ride are trying to get a bike ride "Team Building" thing going. Thing is, some of those I work with do not ride bicycles much, so I'm looking for a very easy off road ride, where most of it is down hill or at least fairly level. We can borrow bikes and we have bike racks, so we can bus everyone to the top, and leave a few cars at the bottom.

Do any of you know of a place like this in the Raleigh/Durham/Cary area? If possible, we'd like to stay within 45min or so of RDU airport. We would much prefer dirt, but paved trails suggestions would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

-Frank

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

NOT in the Triangle

There aren't any downhills in the Triangle. The Triangle is in the Peidmont/Coastal Plains of NC. The closest stuff is North Wilkesboro (foot hills), about 2 hours away. There is a ton of stuff 3 hours away (mountains): Asheville and Pisgah to name 2.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I don't know, Umstead has some pretty hairy downhills.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

I think we lost 'em.

I think my question was misunderstood...

Thanks for the responses, but you both have misunderstood what I was asking.

I guess the word "Downhill" means more to mountain bikers than simply a downward slope.

I'm looking for a VERY easy trail for a little outing with the folks I work with, some of whom don't ride very often. I wanted downhill, sorry: "downward sloping", tails because not all of my co-workers are bikers, and the chance of getting everyone to go is inversely proportional to how much work they think it will be. The more coasting, the higher the chances of participation.

So I restate the question:

Does anyone know of any trails within 45 minutes or so of the Airport that are mostly downward sloping or mostly flat. The trail can be paved, but dirt would be better.

Another take on the question:

Where would you take your mother to ride.

Thanks,
    -Frank

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Umstead. Wide gravel roads, a couple of longish declines but you will also have to climb back up those descents so... Either way it is such a shallow grade that in a granny gear I don't see too many people getting very winded.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Most definitely Umstead. You can't get anything more appropriate than that. The hills are not technical in nature and will provide a novice with a good place to develope basic climbing skills and fitness.

Good luck.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2morrow
    Umstead. Wide gravel roads, a couple of longish declines but you will also have to climb back up those descents so... Either way it is such a shallow grade that in a granny gear I don't see too many people getting very winded.

That depends on how fast you go up those Umstead ascents. I know that I'm able to get my heart rate way up... You do have the option to spin in an easy gear, but that is not fun

Brian

mtbr member
    The Tobacco trail is about as flat as it gets around here. The only problem is that it would be an out-and-back versus a loop. Aside from that I would recommend Harris Lake. The first loop adjacent to the parking area is total novice and anyone that can stay on 2 wheels should be able to handle it and yet give them the feel for single track.

Tim

mtbr member
    Like he said above...American Tobacco Trail...
    Here are some details...

http://trianglemtb.com/pages/trails/att.html

I think we lost 'em.

That's the kind of stuff I was hoping for

Thanks all,

This is more like what I was looking for.

I checked out the Tobacco trail and that may do the trick. I'll have to head over to Umstead and check it out too.

-Frank

trailmaster
    Dec 2005
    I am not sure why people haven't reccomended the easier "beginner" trails in the area. Umstead is fine for groomed double track, but there are hillsthat are conciderable for a beginner.

Take your friends to Harris Lake to get an introduction to singletrack. Gentle hills and lots of easly riding in the woods. Or Lake Crabtree for something closer to town.

OB1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Too Fast
    Looking for easy going mostly down hill trails for novices (Triangle area)

-Frank

Every one of us was a novice in the triangle area at some time. You won't last very long on your first few attempts. A word of advice...you can't just jump on her whenever you want, and expect her to be ready. Inspect everything first, Feel for cracks that need filling, and nipples that need turning. And as always, lube, lube, lube. Try to be confident. Getting into a tight spot, and going down happens to all of us. If you get good enough, you'll get into tight spots all the time without ever having to go down! Chicks on the other hand, rarely go down once they've had the same ride for awhile.,,,and/or they are still breaking their ride in. Don't forget to post pics.

-Dr Ruth