mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Looking at Brevard as a place to live, any locals here?

Wife and I are looking at Brevard as a place to live. Originally from SWVA, and currently in the Midwest and looking to be closer to family. Asheville is tempting but expensive while Brevard looks to have some great MTB and road riding which we both enjoy.

It would be great if there are any resources anyone can point me towards that aren't the obvious things that come up on Google. We've been looking at real estate online. I'll be bringing my job with me and working from home. Sounds like there is dirt to ride right from town.

Looking for any insight about the area and maybe I'll be riding with some of you by next summer.

Thanks!

Rogue Exterminator
    You can be closer to Asheville without the expenses of living in Asheville. It may not be as cheap as Brevard but is still relatively affordable.

I live in Hendersonville about 15 minutes from Dupont and and 20-30 minutes from Bent Creek and Pisgah (depending on where you are heading in Pisgah.

Brevard is a nice town, just not a whole lot to do when you are done mountain biking and probably no a whole lot for jobs available out there either.

Personally, I would look at places like Hendersonville, Fletcher, and Arden if you want to be a little more price conscious and have more dining and other things to do. Also if you will be job seeking, there will be a lot more employment opportunities.

drunken pirate
    I would pick Brevard over Hendersonville, Fletcher, Arden, Asheville or just about any other place. I currently live in Fletcher and while it is convenient and fairly affordable it is just suburbia. Being less than 30 minutes (by motor vehicle) from any number of trail heads is a big plus. But if I lived in Brevard I could bike to the trail head....

Brevard does not have the dining and entertainment options that Asheville does but it isn't like there is nothing there. There are places to eat and things to do and more shopping and stuff is just an easy drive up 280. Brevard also has a college which makes it more progressive and liberal than Hendersonville which has retirees...

Jobs are the issue in Brevard but the OP his bringing him with him which would make Brevard a no brainer imo...
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the input guys. Bringing my job with me is a big plus in allowing us to go most anywhere we want. I LOVE the idea of biking to a trailhead and didn't really think it would be possible, but it may be in Brevard. My wife is an artist, and it sounds like Brevard has a really good scene given the population and they are expanding in support of the arts from what we have read online.

It's always hard to trust what you read about places online so I am looking for more testimonials of sorts from people in the area. We've visited Asheville multiple times now and really like that is is a more liberal or progressive area. That is what brings us to the area instead of closer to our home town, otherwise we would settle for now in the Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City).

Also, we aren't opposed to it being a smaller town. Late 20's but not the type to be out late, so complaints that the town rolls up shop on week nights at 10PM is not a complaint for us Wife also loves that it has a bit more of a grid feel than Asheville (I blame the fact we've lived in the mid west for the last 5 years).

Really seems like a good place to be. I've read the schools are good in Brevard. We don't have kids, but you never know. If you can't tell, I've read a lot about the place and we both have it in our heads that it will be a great place to live and still close enough to get to visit family much more often. If anything, looking for both reassurance on the area and what sorts of downsides there are. So far, most downsides are personal opinion and often things that don't bother us.

As long as I can find good beer and places to bike I'm happy, so I'm not worried about myself there. Pretty cool that Oskar Blues is in town too!

*edit* Oh yeah, the fact that there is a small and walk-able/bike-able 'down town' is important to us. We like to support local business whether it is food or bike shops or whatever.

Big Mac
    Brevard sounds perfect for y'all. Oskar Blues just opened a brewery there and it's on Brevards multi use path that will connect you with Pisgah. If you don't need much in terms of after dark activities, you're good to go. I lived there for a number of years and loved it. It's a good place.

Big Mac
    Brevard sounds perfect for y'all. Oskar Blues just opened a brewery there and it's on Brevards multi use path that will connect you with Pisgah. If you don't need much in terms of after dark activities, you're good to go. I lived there for a number of years and loved it. It's a good place.

Big Mac
    One more time....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks everyone for the replies and also the PMs!

ohhman
    Young, married with child, run a local business... Brevard is great if you have a job (which u do) The Ingles is good. Good breakfast options. Try to buy downtown... walking or riding to restaurants and trails.... property sounds nice, but Brevard is a great town to walk/ride due to its small size.

Let me know if you have any questions. Would love to help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks! Downtown for sure for us, want to be able to walk to most places.

mtbr member
    I know it is in Hendersonville but the Underground Baking Co. is one of my favorite places in the area for bread and such.

mtbr member
    I would think Brevard is a fantastic place to live if you are ready for small town living. I feel it has everything you need and the proximity to the trails is fantastic. Good luck!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    I know it is in Hendersonville but the Underground Baking Co. is one of my favorite places in the area for bread and such.
    Underground is good stuff. They serve their stuff at Southern Appalachian Brewery too.
    Nothing like eating lots of carbs while drinking lots of carbs. lol
    Also try Flat Rock Bakery.
    They are also really good but you need to get there early in the day or they will be out of everything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Two bread references! Glad I'll have single track nearby to burn off the carbs!

Rogue Exterminator
    Between bakeries, breweries and BBQ, there is plenty of things that will keep you biking.

Wow, does everything good start with the letter B?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    Two bread references! Glad I'll have single track nearby to burn off the carbs!
    Ha! You may think you're joking, but you're not...since Flat Rock Bakery opened maybe 8 years ago, I'm generally up about 5 lbs. Even though I only go there on the way to, or home from, ok...or both, riding my bike.

Brevard sounds perfect for you. My only knock against it is that the restaurant quality is not very high compared to nearby Asheville, but you're only talking about maybe 25 minutes to drive there. You're not going to believe the quality of singletrack you can ride to from town.

Rogue Exterminator
    I try my damn best to stay away from that place.
    Their 3-Cheese Garlic and Basil is incredible.
    I can sit down and eat a whole loaf.

Thank God they are usually out of it before I can get there or I would be too bulky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I try my damn best to stay away from that place.
    Their 3-Cheese Garlic and Basil is incredible.
    I can sit down and eat a whole loaf.

Thank God they are usually out of it before I can get there or I would be too bulky.
    ha...good one. Hate to do it to you, but if you can lay your hands on the pesto fougasse...holy cow...i've come to the point of ordering one as a app before a pizza. I'm so ashamed. Other things to try:

Cranberry walnut bread
    Sourdough Boule
    Whole Wheat Pita
    The hummous sandwich on ciabatta, especially if they are doing the southwestern version.
    Goat Pizza or the Classic margherita Pizza
    Any scone (even if you think you don't like scones) but especially choc chip and cranberry apricot.

So there you go...the benefit of my years of selfless research!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I love living in Brevard. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    ha...good one. Hate to do it to you, but if you can lay your hands on the pesto fougasse...holy cow...i've come to the point of ordering one as a app before a pizza. I'm so ashamed. Other things to try:
    Oh, I agree the pesto fougasse is absolutely incredible.
    I forgot the name of it and didn't want to say "they pesto bread". lol
    But it is a toss up between that and the 3 cheese and yes, I could eat all 100,000 calories of either loaf by myself and if you threw both in front of me and challenged me, I bet I could do it too. No matter how much I hurt afterwards, I would still say it was worth every single bite.

Damn, you are going to make me go by there this weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is there an active forum out there for Pisgah MTB or cycling in general? I saw the white board on the Pisgah Area SORBA site but not much going on there..

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    Is there an active forum out there for Pisgah MTB or cycling in general? I saw the white board on the Pisgah Area SORBA site but not much going on there..
    This is the most active forum I know of when it comes to mountain biking that I am aware of. However, there is also a meetup group for local Mtn Biking

Pisgah Area Mountain Biking Meetup (Mills River, NC) - Meetup

Not really a forum for posting but if you are looking for riders to meet, it is a good place to start.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks I had found the meetup group, very active which is great. Appreciate the response!