Don't Stop Spinnin'!

Local Bike Shops in Asheville?? (going on vacation frm Mia!)

Ok, so me and my buds leave from Miami to Asheville NC in 5 days, (friday 28th.) and plan on hitting as many trails possible while we are there. Im sure our bikes will be going through major abuse while we are there, and we will need atleast one tune up. (hopefully no major fixing problems) so, if you guys could name me a few LBS's in the area that we could check out while we are there, it'll be great.

any trails you locals recomend as "MUST DO'S" ?? please recommend away.

thanks in advance...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Liberty Bikes, Carolina Fatz, Sycamore Cycles, etc...will all serve you BETTER than Biowheels....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've had good luck with Pro Bikes.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    thanks guys... made a list of the ones mentioned above.

any "must do" parks/trails?

mtbr member
    Gaffney- as stated before by the owner of the shop in this forum, your negative experience at BioWheels is regretted.
    I race for BioWheels and do find they have the most of what I need as an avid MTB'er, but I agree that most of the other shops in the area also provide quality services. There are a couple that don't meet my needs, but they appear to meet the demands of other consumers, so that's not my problem.

For the record: This is officially not intended to start a "which bike shop is best/worse" thread. If that happens, y'all have fun.

Peace,
    Mike

mtbr member

Best website for WNC MTB Info

The Asheville area is mountain biking heaven with lots of great trails and lots of great shops. The best place to start your search is: http://www.mtbikewnc.com. The best ride section is a good page to find information about some of the best trails in the area and the local information page list the local bike shops.
    Watch out for that tree!

XC Champion
    May 2006

Good trail

For a warm-up, you should definitely check out Green's Lick out in Bent Creek. It's a popular trail for a good reason. After that it's very easy to drive down the road and hit trace ridge or any of the other mills river trails. Town will be nicely crowded this weekend with Bele Chere, so hopefully the trails won't be too bad.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Where is the Greens lick trail?? at Bent creek. The map I just bought didn't include it.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

pronounced may-duh
    Check out this post for a LIST OF LBS

I work across the street from Liberty Cycles, so I go there. Liberty is one of the best shops I have ever seen. Lots of people rave about Sycamore Cycles in Brevard. My experience is limited but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Must do trails? There are so many. There were some top 10 lists a while back. Bent Creek is fun. Dupont has some cool slick rock areas and lotsa waterfalls. Squirrel gap trail is back country riding at it's best. Trace ridge is an awesome downhill. Anything on the Black mtn trail will be memorable. Tsali has got some fast single track.

Do you have the map and guidebook I recommended?

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Where is the Greens lick trail?? at Bent creek. The map I just bought didn't include it.
    At the "5 points" (top of ingles field gap), continue climbing up for 2 miles on North Boundry Rd. aka Tony Mitchel hwy. Beware, the climb is filled with waist high poison ivy. The start of Greens lick is on the left. You can't miss it. Enjoy !

thecentralscrutinizer
    Thanks. I saw that this weekend, but was a bit leary about trying something that didn't appear on the map. Where does Green's Lick come out?
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

pronounced may-duh
    It ends at the bottom of Little Hickory Top Trail.

A good loop is to climb up north boundry to Greens Lick, decend GL then climb back up to 5 points on Little Hickory Top. Then decend on Ingles Field Gap. Then hit Wolf Laurel.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Check out this post for a LIST OF LBS

I work across the street from Liberty Cycles, so I go there. Liberty is one of the best shops I have ever seen. Lots of people rave about Sycamore Cycles in Brevard. My experience is limited but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Must do trails? There are so many. There were some top 10 lists a while back. Bent Creek is fun. Dupont has some cool slick rock areas and lotsa waterfalls. Squirrel gap trail is back country riding at it's best. Trace ridge is an awesome downhill. Anything on the Black mtn trail will be memorable. Tsali has got some fast single track.

Do you have the map and guidebook I recommended?
    thanks guys... i didnt get a chance to purchase the map and book, i am hoping one of the many LBS's you guys recommended has them.

banned

You have to check out Epic Cycles

depending on whether or not you go over to black mountain (15 min east) to do kitsuma, you will have to go in and meet Al and Wes. I promise that noone in or around Asheville will beat their prices on tuneups or gear. 828-669-5969.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Bent Creek will always be near and dear to my heart, but when it comes to the "best trail" I always think about the Spencer Gap climb to the Trace Ridge downhill. If you can clean the climb you don't belong in Miami... and the downhill goes on and on. You... will... like it.

Carolina Fatz is only minutes from Bent Creek, so stop by and say hi... they will be CRAZY busy though, so don't get miffed if you have a hard time getting any face time with the owner or employees... weekends alone are bad, but the Bele Chere thing will send it over the top.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10
    Liberty Bikes, Carolina Fatz, Sycamore Cycles, etc...will all serve you BETTER than Biowheels....
    Well I like riding with them and I think they're swell. So there.

Big Mac

What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10
    Bio schmeels is best left to themselves!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    Bio schmeels is best left to themselves!
    It would appear by their business that your opinions are not shared by everyone.

mtbr member

Show you around a bit

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_tomato
    Ok, so me and my buds leave from Miami to Asheville NC in 5 days, (friday 28th.) and plan on hitting as many trails possible while we are there. Im sure our bikes will be going through major abuse while we are there, and we will need atleast one tune up. (hopefully no major fixing problems) so, if you guys could name me a few LBS's in the area that we could check out while we are there, it'll be great.

any trails you locals recomend as "MUST DO'S" ?? please recommend away.

thanks in advance...
    Well, it seems the thread has gotten a bit off subject...
    I can get outa work a bit early Monday,say about 2:00 and if it suits your schedule/rides,etc i would be happy to show you around the "after work" trails in Bent Creek..shoot me a pm if you wanna make plans...

Big Mac

Well....

Quote Originally Posted by plume
    It would appear by their business that your opinions are not shared by everyone.
    ...perhaps not shared by everyone, but shared by many, many people. As for their business: location, location, location!

Ride On...

Sad....

[SIZE=4]

Sad when idiots start arguing over who or what they
    think is the best stuff...

Actions speak alot louder than words ever will.

Liberty Bicycles store caters to the big shots that
    live in Biltmore Forest, and those other people around
    here that are so stupid they want to impress other people
    because of their own inferiority complex they're battling...

What's more impressine: a person living in a "paid-off" $200K home, or some flashy jerk living in a "bank-financed" 30 yr. loan $500K home? Oh yeah, lets not forget the LandRover and BMW's that they're "leasing" just to impress the Dr. Feelgood's just down the street.... Ha-ha, what a joke.

[SIZE=7]Carolina Fatz [SIZE=5]is all you need...[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Killer B; 09-03-2006 at 08:37 AM.

() Life's Short, Enjoy The Ride... ()