mtbr member

Let's Blow up Dupont

This Saturday the 16th PAS is putting together a crew to blow out as many nicks and drains as possible.

Two person crews will use leaf blowers and rakes to clear the leaf litter from drains. The point will not be to scour the trail, but to allow for better drainage over the winter. We will have a few leaf blowers available, but if you can bring your own it would be appreciated. The more the merrier. If you have appropriate fuel bottles please bring them also.

We will meet at The High Falls parking lot at 9:00am. There will be a quick meeting then the teams will disperse. We will try to have a vehicle pickup and drop off for those not on a loop.

The plan is work for several hours leaving time in the afternoon for a ride.

Please bring:
    Water, lunch and snacks
    Good footwear, glasses, ear protection, work gloves and clothing in layers to allow adjustments as the weather warms up.

If you can make it PM me, so we can have an accurate head count.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    See you there!

...and my sincere thanks to whomever is responsible for blowing leaves off the bottom of Jim Branch Trail this morning--the lack of leaves on the rock armor sure made it easier to climb!!

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailZen View Post
    See you there!

...and my sincere thanks to whomever is responsible for blowing leaves off the bottom of Jim Branch Trail this morning--the lack of leaves on the rock armor sure made it easier to climb!!

TZ
    I hit a few of the longer rock armored sections yesterday with the intent of keeping riders on the armoring. Rock armor can be intimidating for some riders, and a lot of leaves on top don't help for these riders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am out of town now, back on Thur eve. Then leaving Fri. AM heading down to the SORBA board meeting in FL. I have a leaf blower if you need to use it, and can get you into the tool room if you need tread tools. Just let me know what you need.

mtbr member

Re: Let's Blow up Dupont

The event went great, thanks to the fellas that showed. We blew 10 + miles of the south side trails and Airstrip.

Hopefully the reduction of leaf dams will help to keep the trail draining better than it would have otherwise.

BTW never ever use a Stihl BR-600 blower unless you plan on buying one. It will be $500 well spent.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    And speaking of tools we can't live without now, heres the link for the Rogue Hoe we were using and liked so much. I'll have one that will replace my Mcleod before long. I read where they are made from repurposed plow discs, no wonder they are so stout.

Rogue Hoes- Trailbuilding Tools

mtbr member
    I found a red cycling computer on the Mine Mountain trail. PM me if you lost one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Rogue Hoes are good stuff! They support cycling/trail building too...I know they donated a tool or two to events I've attended back in the midwest. I have a 70H and hope to start making it out to some work days in Pisgah/Dupont once things settle a little more for us (new to town).

Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    And speaking of tools we can't live without now, heres the link for the Rogue Hoe we were using and liked so much. I'll have one that will replace my Mcleod before long. I read where they are made from repurposed plow discs, no wonder they are so stout.

Rogue Hoes- Trailbuilding Tools

mtbr member
    Welcome to the hood