mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Laurel Mtn. Big Creek Connector ?

Greetings,

Jim Parham's book shows a connecting trail between Laurel Mtn and Big Creek Trails at Sassafras Gap.

The National Geographic Pisgah Map 780 does not show this trail.

What is the reality ? Legal ? Open ? Ridable ? Hike-a-bike ?

Thanks,

Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Don't know about legal, but it exists and is mostly rideable.

Vegetation is pretty thick at the start, but after about 200 yards of half-track it opens up to a steep singletrack downhill. I remember 1 tree across it pretty high up, and the rest is rideable (as of about 2 months ago).

mtbr member

Not legal...

You should not ride it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thadthetroll
    You should not ride it...
    i saw it the other day and I was very intrigued. Would have made for a better ride (hike) than trying to climb up big creek. that sucked.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Too many creek crossings - you'll get your feet wet. Locusts and deer flies dominate the whole area. You might get stuck the mud pit. Then, there's a gravel road climb out from the reservoir (no wading - toenail attacking fish) to deal with. Don't do it... Oh, I hear itís illegal too.

When did you get here?!?!
    Not on the map, No sign, Not legal.
    It was once on a map but after an environmental survey a number of years back it was closed.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I'll stay off it.

Eric

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    What would it take to re-open it? One of my favorite rides.
    Besides, if we don't get it open...it's yet one more door closed to us.

And please don't post how I don't show up at trail crew work days. Until someone decides they're gonna babysit my kids all day and assume my fatherly duties while I'm away...
    I am not a "Role Model"

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch

It's never been "open" thats why it isn't on the Map... yeah it's a great trail, i always thought it was a legal trail being published in a riders trail guide book... then was blasted online for posting photos of the trail and labelled a evil poacher of trails

Take the kids with for trail maintenance...child labor laws dont apply for volunteer work!

pronounced may-duh

And please don't post how I don't show up at trail crew work days. Until someone decides they're gonna babysit my kids all day and assume my fatherly duties while I'm away...
    I've got three kids and somehow I was able to get to a trail maintenance thing. How do you ride while keeping an eye on your kids? Do you strap them to your back? If trail maintenance was something that you really wanted to do, I'm sure you could find a way.

Isn't this connector trail in the parkway right of way? I think any trail in the parkway R/W is off limits to bikes.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I've got three kids and somehow I was able to get to a trail maintenance thing. How do you ride while keeping an eye on your kids? Do you strap them to your back? If trail maintenance was something that you really wanted to do, I'm sure you could find a way.
    glad you asked. We're dirt poor right now so we can't afford a babysitter, no family around to keep the kids for any period of time and a ride takes 1.5 hours only. So in the last month I have had exactly 1.5 hours of time to be in the woods.

Since we've had our second daughter, I don't build DH courses anymore for ski resorts or put on DH races either. I have had time to go to 2 SORBA meetings but that's it. No down time. Took 4 days out in the spring to go to the US Open and drove back and forth to the Sugar National every day for practice and race only. No time to watch other races, talk in the pits, or eat food or brews with the bros.
    I am not a "Role Model"

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7

Isn't this connector trail in the parkway right of way? I think any trail in the parkway R/W is off limits to bikes.
    No i think he was referring to the trail off to the right from Laurel Mountain at Sassafras Gap, it's kind of a mtn laurel thicket covered trail that drops into switchbacks, 1500ft of descent in less than a mile and connects with Big Creek. it's in the Off The Beaten Track book

Official Cooler Inspector
    You young guys canít relate to the Old BF (before forum) Days when locals used to keep their favorite routes a big secret. We were riding under the wire in some cases, but no one was complaining.

The nature of MTB evolved, and we took our friends who took their friendsÖ etc, etc. Next thing you know, people from Illinois wanted to "ride it too". (No offense FB, but my leg was broken when that trip came along, so I have an excuse.) Heck, I can remember when there were secret trails in Bent Creek.

Bottom line is - if you are a "lost tourist" - the risk factors and/or fines might not be worth the ride. Did I not mention the toenail pecking and freckle snagging fish at the reservoir? (Keep your shirt on.)

mtbr member

Work is Work

There are so many more ways to help than trail work days. I am guessing you have a computer, most likley a phone, sort of flexable job right? What about publicity? we need someone to post PAS info in as many places as possible.
    Blue Ridge Outdoors the Asheville Laurel, Out and About, and who knows where is Greenville etc. What about an article for the news letter? What about emailing and writing the FS about your opinions on the trail work? What about hammering other DH people? What about visiting Bike shops with the kids. You do that and it frees other folks up to do trail work. We all sacrifice something. Are you a single Dad?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro Adventures
    There are so many more ways to help than trail work days. I am guessing you have a computer, most likley a phone, sort of flexable job right? What about publicity? we need someone to post PAS info in as many places as possible.
    Blue Ridge Outdoors the Asheville Laurel, Out and About, and who knows where is Greenville etc. What about an article for the news letter? What about emailing and writing the FS about your opinions on the trail work? What about hammering other DH people? What about visiting Bike shops with the kids. You do that and it frees other folks up to do trail work. We all sacrifice something. Are you a single Dad?
    you got my email brother. All you have to do is tell me how to go about it and I'll rock out with kokout .
    I do email the FS all the time about the trails.
    As for the DH people, I've been forwarding every single PAS letter out to them and trying to get them to sign up too.
    As for visiting bike shops, I've hounded a few and pumped them on it. If you've got ones who aren't on board, drop me a list. I'm a shop whore for shore...
    As for single dad..no, full time dad...yes.
    I am not a "Role Model"