Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnc View Post
    The newly opened trails total 8 miles. There is not a parking area for these....access is from the Laurel Loop or on pavement via Wildlife Road (just before the park entrance). The Itusi Trail Map shows the locations and mileages for all of the trails.
    Great map, thanks for posting the link.

LNSP is a classic stacked loop system which works very good for mtn bikers. Lake Norman was also the test piece for mtn biking in NC state parks. The success and popularity of mtn biking in LNSP has opened the door and will lead to other opportunities. Lake James State Park near Marion has a first 4 mile loop built and 12 more miles on the way in 2013.

Woody

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnc View Post
    The newly opened trails total 8 miles. There is not a parking area for these....access is from the Laurel Loop or on pavement via Wildlife Road (just before the park entrance). The Itusi Trail Map shows the locations and mileages for all of the trails.
    WOW! Thanks for the info and the nicely done map. Like Woodman said, Lake Norman State Park is an excellent example of mountain biking and state parks coexisting.
    Now I just have to figure out which day to go for my epic lake loop .

The longer the ride - the better the pain

mtbr member
    I rode the new section over the weekend. Kudos to everyone who made it happen.

The trails at Lake Norman are mostly cruiser, non-technical trails. If you're looking to test your gnar-core techie skilz, this isn't the place. But if you like fun, fast, non-technical riding, you'll love this place. Beautiful setting. 30+ miles. Yee Haw.
    Zippity do dah...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Reading this thread has just thrown a flowy, mouth breathing and ground staring wrench into my otherwise perfectly planned weekend....how can I squeeze in 30 miles of singletrack @ LKN SP?

I went to high school in Troutman and used to ride my BMX on the trails back when Itusi was new biz. Then I started MTB'ing in college and now ride every time I go home. LOVE those trails!!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Lake Norman was also the test piece for mtn biking in NC state parks. The success and popularity of mtn biking in LNSP has opened the door and will lead to other opportunities. Lake James State Park near Marion has a first 4 mile loop built and 12 more miles on the way in 2013.
    Nice! Hadn't head about Lake James trails. Beaverdam trails (15 miles) at Falls Lake State Park (with neighboring New Light at 10 miles and on NCWRC land) seem to get plenty of action and are pretty well maintained by park staff/volunteers but they seem to be more of the "built as is and will stay as is" philosophy. DavidH probably could elaborate a lot on this issue.

What are future plans for LKNSP? How much trail can they fit out there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What are future plans for LKNSP? How much trail can they fit out there?[/QUOTE]

From what I understand LNSP is now fully built out.

mtbr member
    Nice! Hadn't head about Lake James trails. Beaverdam trails (15 miles) at Falls Lake State Park (with neighboring New Light at 10 miles and on NCWRC land) seem to get plenty of action and are pretty well maintained by park staff/volunteers but they seem to be more of the "built as is and will stay as is" philosophy. DavidH probably could elaborate a lot on this issue.
    cmscheip, ya since we don't have an MOU with Beaverdam chances are that not much will ever change. The park would have to rely on themselves to apply for grants or do renovation. New Light has an MOU which I think is great. WRC is not interested in new trail, which is basically a fire line making it hard for them to manage the property, so I doubt it will change ever. Having that MOU relationship alone is a good step.

I can't say anything about LNSP since I haven't been there yet. But having a NC state park with trails on it is a huge deal. We have a long ways to go to catch up with the Virginia and W. Virginia State Parks.

Woody can probably elaborate more than I can but there is a difference with state parks like LNSP or Umstead or Raven Rock versus Falls Lake or Lake Jordan...maybe because they are Army Corp of Engineer state land? One is recreational classified (Falls Lake) where LNSP, Umstead or Raven Rock are classified non-recreational?

Forest Ridge will be the next trail system next to Beaverdam, New Light on that same Falls Lake\WRC\Army Corp property. We are all pretty excited about that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    "Woody can probably elaborate more than I can but there is a difference with state parks like LNSP or Umstead or Raven Rock versus Falls Lake or Lake Jordan...maybe because they are Army Corp of Engineer state land? One is recreational classified (Falls Lake) where LNSP, Umstead or Raven Rock are classified non-recreational?

Forest Ridge will be the next trail system next to Beaverdam, New Light on that same Falls Lake\WRC\Army Corp property. We are all pretty excited about that."

I am not sure of different destinations within the NC state parks system other than:
    -State Parks
    -State Recreation Areas
    -State Historical Areas

All state parks have a recreation component and trails, but historically mtn biking has not been part of the recreation allowed. As new parks come on line, master plans can identify mountain bike trails as part of the park. If the park has a long standing master plan that does not include mtn bike trails, it is tough to get biking added.

Forest Ridge is a city of Raleigh project and city and county parks are a good advocacy route for us as they don't have set trail standards (like the USFS does) and thus why we get to be a bit more creative.

Woody

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    All loops at LNSP were laid out by the same person. As far as the flow of the Laurel Loop...it flows just fine. Flow is 50% rider and 50% trail. Maybe gsomtb wasn't have a good ride or not familiar with the trail. To me saying the Laurel Loop lacks any flow is just plain 'tarded. Find your flow and the trail will guide you...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2