Goat of Legend

Labor Day Ride, Pisgah

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have some friends coming up from Charlotte( varied level of riders but all can handle this ride) who want to do a new point to point for them at least.
    The Plan: meet Monday morning at the fish hatchery
    With as much climbing that will will be involved on this ride I hate the word shuttle so I'll say taxi up to Black Balsam

Note: topo does not show the addition of Butter Gap or Davidson River Trails
    Ride begins at 5900 ft
    Trails
    Ivestor Gap
    Flat Laurel Creek
    Sumney Cove
    Kissee Creek
    Farlow Gap
    Daniel Ridge
    Butter Gap( if time, will)
    Davidson River

7200 ft of accumilated descending

4000 ft of accumilated climbing

Plan accordingly.
    Should be a intermediate level rider who can handle long climbs and technical descents over the course of 30 miles.
    Make sure your bike is in proper working order BEFORE you get to the trailhead.
    NO riders to be left behind.
    Farlow Gap is one of the most technically challenging trails in all of Pisgah, High elevation trails can have sudden weather changes, bring a jacket.
    Bring tools, extra tubes.
    Bring plenty of food, and a ability to carry at least 70 ounces of water is manditory.

Want in? Contact me. dravenbladesbend@hotmail.com

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jeremy- what's the pace going to be? I've got big plans (bikepacking from West Asheville to Hatchery area and back) Saturday-Sunday, but I might be down for this Monday. It's been a long time since I did Ivestor-Flat Laurel, and it sounds excellent.
    But, I will be slow and tired with a sore a**. If y'all are going to push it, I'll let y'all do that on yer own.
    Mike

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Jeremy- what's the pace going to be?
    Mike,
    I'm one of the CLTeans coming up. Don't worry, the pace will be steady but reasonable. I'm a fat flatlander, so I'm pretty sure my fast is slower than your slow

Don't worry though, I can pedal the distance, just not winning any king of the hills.

rob

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Don't let rob fool you......he's fat AND fast. Word on the street is that he'll be riding a fully rigid SS 29'er on Monday. It's his new thing

mtbr member
    HAHAHA, rob drank the koolaid!

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by zod
    Don't let rob fool you......he's fat AND fast. Word on the street is that he'll be riding a fully rigid SS 29'er on Monday. It's his new thing
    no seriously guys, I've been eating Chocolate Chip cookies all week and not riding...that 29er has been nixed for the time being

mtbr member

What time?

What time are you meeting at the hatchery? I also drank the 29er koolaid.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Don't kill The Messenger:

http://www.bikepasa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1605

Ya'll have fun.

Goat of Legend
    Mike, You'll do fine on this ride. Its a mixed group of riders who can handle the distance and want to have fun and comaderie more then anything.. I'll have about 100-120 miles of hard road bike miles in my legs by the time of this ride myself (Sat and Sun). We regroup at the bottom of the descents and top of climbs and no one is out to prove anything with this group.

Meet 9:30am at the Hatchery. I'll be in a green Mazda pickup.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm interested in going on your ride. What time are you rolling from the Hatchery and where does the shuttle come into play. Is there a way to ride some of your tour w/o doing the shuttle?

Thanks,

Mike Hiers[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Goat of Legend
    Mike,
    Probably leaving the hatchery around 9:45. Be there by 9:30 just to make sure you get in.

If don't want the shuttle start super earley( say 6, 7am) Ride 15 miles up 276. Take a left on the BRP. Go about 10 miles or so and take a right up Black Balsam Rd. Meet us at the end which is the trailhead around 10:15-10:30am. I'll say though Farlow Gap is a bear of a ride alone, add in being worn out from your 20 mile climb to the trailhead and you could have a very rough day. The other way is to ride up 475 B, Take Sienard Ridge up to the split. Take the high route and hike a bike 2 miles to the BRP(my usual way), take a left on the BRP. Go about 5 miles and take a right up Black Balsam.

Usually I'm not a shuttler but sometimes it isn't all bad exspecially with over 4,000 ft of accumilated climbing. Kisee Creek and Farlow Gap ruins alot of riders. With 30 miles after the shuttle runs up to the top and possibly more if people wanted to add in Butter Gap this was the best way I could think of to get in the trails, miles, and comaderie without everyone hating me for a pure deathmarch.

Oh and if ya want a deathmarch ride I'm all about it very soon. Training for the doubledare so companionship would be great during a 70 mile day in the woods.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks, Jeremy.

Don't get me wrong - I am not posing as an endurance hound. I guess I'm fuzzy on the logistics because I've only been in the area a few months and have done just 4 or 5 rides out of the Hatchery.

I'll just meet at the Hatch and go with the flow and hope that your slipstream is strong enuf to pull me along.

See you on Labor Day,

Mike Hiers

luvsingletrack

Carpool from Asheville??

I'm hoping to join the fun. I need a ride from Asheville, can meet you anywhere in town or on the way out. Anyone have room?? Thanks--Jared

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

92% Asheville Carpool

Hey Jared,

I'm planning to join in tomorrow if my car decides to start. I have a bad glow plug relay that sometimes doesn't work on command. If it doesn't come on, the car won't start. So far, it has always eventually worked but wanted to provide full disclosure. I may end up stuck in my driveway all dressed up w/no place to go in the AM or we might end up catching fish from the hatchery pools with our bare hands for dinner.

I'll be heading out from East Asheville on 40 (Exit 55) at around 8:15 if the car cooperates. Where should we meet up?

Cheers
    Jody
    Dirtbag since '89

Goat of Legend
    Hope you guys can make it. Got your email, Jody and sent back about Jared but kept getting mail box full, message delined messages.
    (in my best Mr. T voice)Clear your box out, Fool!

See you guys in the morning. Bring the rain jackets and hope we don't have to use em.

Jeremy

Goat of Legend
    Roll call:
    Rob
    Robert C
    Phil S
    Dennis K
    Mike B
    Mike H
    Andy H
    Jody F
    Jared
    Ben W
    Myself

SChomer?
    Old Dude?

Jeremy

Freeride Pabstist Church
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Roll call:
    Rob
    Robert C
    Phil S
    Dennis K
    Mike B
    Mike H
    Andy H
    Jody F
    Jared
    Ben W
    Myself

SChomer?
    Old Dude?

Jeremy
    Andy H is out for tomorrow. I've got some other duties to attend to. "taxied" Farlow this afternoon. It's flowing nicely. (in a farcical aquatic sort of way) It's way sketchy and slick so be careful. Lots of slimy green rocks and moist roots made for more excitement than I really wanted. Still fun though.

Y'all have fun.

pb

ps I sent you an email about this as well.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Considering today's weather - add this to your supplies.

http://www.specialized-shop.de/image...nduroset_l.jpg

PB = Slacker

Word for today = farcical

Last edited by M-U-M; 09-03-2006 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member

Headed to FATS

Going to meet some boys from Greenwood to ride at Fats. I'll catch you guys another time. I'm 95% sure I'm doing the Dupont epic on the 17th so maybe then.

Have fun

rob
    slakDawg

Good job!

We're 100%. Barring any "issues" we'll be rolling in from CLT at 9:29 AM @ the hatchery.

luvsingletrack

Thanks for the offer Jody...

Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig
    Hey Jared,

I'm planning to join in tomorrow if my car decides to start. I have a bad glow plug relay that sometimes doesn't work on command. If it doesn't come on, the car won't start. So far, it has always eventually worked but wanted to provide full disclosure. I may end up stuck in my driveway all dressed up w/no place to go in the AM or we might end up catching fish from the hatchery pools with our bare hands for dinner.

I'll be heading out from East Asheville on 40 (Exit 55) at around 8:15 if the car cooperates. Where should we meet up?

Cheers
    Jody
    I got roped in to a family activity since I've been working so much lately. Sorry to miss out on the fun. But I do think my son has grown 2 inches since I spent any real time with him, so it's probably for the best.

Goat of Legend
    Sorry Your missing out pisaghboy, luvinsingletrack, and Homer.

Looks like the heavy masses of rain are going to the north of us. May still need those rain jackets though. Bringing the camera so hope to get a few good shots. Wet Rocks and Roots, yummy !

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sorry I missed this one. How'd it go? Any Pics?
    Believe it or not I'm finishing up my "mountain" bike project just for rides like these.
    27 gears, 26 wheels and gasp- a whopping 3 inches of suspension. Everything my only bike hasn't had the last year. Stay in touch Jeremy I'm planning to make it up there a couple of times the next month or so. What are you doing next Saturday?

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlydave
    Sorry I missed this one. How'd it go? Any Pics?
    Believe it or not I'm finishing up my "mountain" bike project just for rides like these.
    27 gears, 26 wheels and gasp- a whopping 3 inches of suspension. Everything my only bike hasn't had the last year. Stay in touch Jeremy I'm planning to make it up there a couple of times the next month or so. What are you doing next Saturday?
    Jeremy posted the ride recap here

Cool about getting a "mtn" rig up and running, whatcha getting?

Also, besides any rides you work out with J, try to make it up for the Pisgah Gathering end of this month, some of the other guys from CLT are going up. We'll have a good ride for Sat for sure.