Thread: Kitsuma access

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Kitsuma access

Saw a message on the forest service page about a bridge being out. Is this still closed?

Rogue Exterminator
    I don't know but I wouldn't plan on riding Kitsuma for a couple weeks either way.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

lamer

Re: Kitsuma access

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I don't know but I wouldn't plan on riding Kitsuma for a couple weeks either way.
    I was thinking of riding kitsuma tomorrow on your recommendation. Why the no-go?

thecentralscrutinizer
    He's probably basing it on the weather.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Rogue Exterminator
    Yeah, we were totally hammered with insane amounts of rain. Hiked DuPont yesterday which probably as a whole handles rain better than most the other trails. Much of the trails are under knee deep water, gravel roads literally floating in spots from saturation and mud holes everywhere. I can only imagine what Kitsuma is like right now.

If you're in to slop fests and tearing up the trails then you might like it but I just don't see Kitsuma being much fun this weekend. Also plenty of rain planned all week long so I imagine next weekend won't be much better.

Just my $.02

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    As far as I know, Kitsuma itself is still open, but the Point Lookout trail is closed due to a landslide. But yeah...rain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks, I get that current conditions are wet. More interested in the status of the bridge and access to the picnic area, trail etc... The closure notice was from before Memorial Day. Was hoping someone had an update or ETA on completion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mjenkins View Post
    Thanks, I get that current conditions are wet. More interested in the status of the bridge and access to the picnic area, trail etc... The closure notice was from before Memorial Day. Was hoping someone had an update or ETA on completion.
    What's closed is the Catawba Falls parking area. As far as I know, Old Fort picnic area is not closed, but you can't ride from there up Point Lookout to the top of Kitsuma because Point Lookout trail is closed. Perhaps take Mill Creek Rd. instead?

National Forests in North Carolina
    U.S. Forest Service
    160A Zillicoa St.
    Asheville, N.C. 28801
    Online: National Forests in North Carolina - Home

FOREST SERVICE ALERT

June 26, 2013

Update on Forest Service Parking Lot near Catawba Falls

OLD FORT, N.C. - The Forest Service parking lot near Catawba Falls remains closed because of the continued closure of the Catawba Falls bridge. Visitors can still access Catawba Falls from the area as the bridge is open to foot traffic, and parking is available near the bridge.

The Forest Service parking lot near Catawba Falls will likely reopen next spring after the Catawba Falls bridge is repaired.

Old Highway 70 (Point Lookout Trail) remains closed because of a recent mudslide. The NC Department of Transportation is working to repair the road and bridge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Perfect and thanks for the clarification on what is actually closed. I apparently misunderstood the original announcement. I'll take a look at the possible bypass options if I head up there later this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Kitsuma is open unless there has been another washout since last weekend. The slide on point lookout trail was repaired before memorial day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mjenkins View Post
    Perfect and thanks for the clarification on what is actually closed. I apparently misunderstood the original announcement. I'll take a look at the possible bypass options if I head up there later this year.
    Use mill creek road if its closed for some reason. You will get a few more miles out of it but no big inconvenience.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you've had that much rain, who would want to ride the mudfest. Of course if it was ORAMM weekend the trails and bikes would get trashed. But it's okay in a race. I think the Forest Service should make every race, that can, have an alternate course, in case of severe weather problems. In that area, it would be easy to switch it to gravel roads. If the race decides to go ahead and ride the course, they should be responsible for making sure the trails are put back as good or better than before. I race but racing is a small fragment of the MTB group and the trails are there for everyone to ride, not just racers. I have seen some bad stuff happen to trails that are raced in made for sh*t conditions. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My 2 cents.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    If you've had that much rain, who would want to ride the mudfest. Of course if it was ORAMM weekend the trails and bikes would get trashed. But it's okay in a race. I think the Forest Service should make every race, that can, have an alternate course, in case of severe weather problems. In that area, it would be easy to switch it to gravel roads. If the race decides to go ahead and ride the course, they should be responsible for making sure the trails are put back as good or better than before. I race but racing is a small fragment of the MTB group and the trails are there for everyone to ride, not just racers. I have seen some bad stuff happen to trails that are raced in made for sh*t conditions. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My 2 cents.
    I think there is already a negative race thread going on.
    However, who is to say that promoters and race volunteers don't fix the trails after the race along with the money that is paid to the forest services to throw the race.

I know at 12 hours at Tsali, not only did they end the race early because it started raining, they had a volunteer crew that was there fixing the trail the next day.

Just like there are good and bad mountain bikers, there are good and bad promoters.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yea im not sure it can dry out before oramm. hopefully todd has an alternative plan like maybe 2 trips up curtis creek or something. just thinking out loud...

Rogue Exterminator
    Oramm is 2 weeks away. I think it will be fine if it doesn't rain the week of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadpig View Post
    hopefully todd has an alternative plan like maybe 2 trips up curtis creek or something. just thinking out loud...
    That would be cruel and unusual punishment, which is banned in the constitution.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    The mud/landslide on point lookout was cleared weeks ago, making both the greenway and Mill Creek Rd passable.

I've got no idea how bad of shape Kitsuma is in right now, but if it stopped raining tomorrow morning I wouldn't even go look at it before Wednesday or so. The initial climb and first half of the descent dry faster than the end and can be deceiving.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think there is already a negative race thread going on.
    However, who is to say that promoters and race volunteers don't fix the trails after the race along with the money that is paid to the forest services to throw the race.

I know at 12 hours at Tsali, not only did they end the race early because it started raining, they had a volunteer crew that was there fixing the trail the next day.

Just like there are good and bad mountain bikers, there are good and bad promoters.
    And you saw one race where they fixed it. Tsali is a much easier fix because it is not remote. I have read and seen places that are still in bad shape 6 months to a year after a wet race. So, for one race, it hurts the trails and everyone that rides them the enjoyment of riding what the trail was before it was trashed. I agree, there are good and bad of everything but the forest service needs to make sure it is taken care of and the only way to do that is to put it in the contract and enforce it. I like to race but not in muddy conditions. No fun, trashes the trail, the bike, and not good, imho. I am not negative race. I am negative trashing trails at the expense of races that could have alternate courses. On 6 and 12 and 24 hour events, you would just have to call or postpone it to a later date because there may be no alternate plan available.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    And you saw one race where they fixed it.

Only race I saw where it needed to be fixed.
    As far as other races go, I have no idea if there were volunteers there or not fix the trails afterwards but races where the trails are remote such as PMBAR do not get much impact from racers.

From what I see, most the promoters around here clean up but I am sure there are some that have not. Do you have specific promoters in mind? Maybe you should call them out so people will think twice before attending their events.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if there are plans to clean up the Heartbreak ridge downhill? I rode it this past Saturday and it was a huge mess. The Laurels have almost grown completely over the trail and there are about 10 very large trees down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hiked DuPont yesterday which probably as a whole handles rain better than most the other trails. Much of the trails are under knee deep water, gravel roads literally floating in spots from saturation and mud holes everywhere. I can only imagine what Kitsuma is like right now.
    Which trails did you hike? I was out there Sunday. I rode Mine Mtn, Airstrip, Corn Mill down to the river and Laurel Ridge. All were in pretty good shape. A few small muddy spots in some of the dips on Airstrip and a couple more on the other trails, but no standing water.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Are you talking about the upper section or the lower section close to the RR tracks?
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

\m/{-_-}\m/

Kitsuma access

I'm sure he's talking about the upper section. Those trees have all been down for a while and they're the kind you have to stop for and then climb over.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    Which trails did you hike? I was out there Sunday. I rode Mine Mtn, Airstrip, Corn Mill down to the river and Laurel Ridge. All were in pretty good shape. A few small muddy spots in some of the dips on Airstrip and a couple more on the other trails, but no standing water.
    I just hiked the roads.
    I wanted to see the falls.

Rode Cedar Rock the day before and Little River Road was under water.
    Figured I would say off the bike for the rest of the weekend.