Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just dopping by

banned
    Jan 2013

Just dopping by

Been riding totally downhill - 10,000% more fun than pedaling up hill all day .
    If anyone has the balls come race Sunday (Jaynes......No it;s not too late to start training for this)

Motobutane out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just dopping by-windrock8.jpg  

Just dopping by-windrock14.jpg  

Just dopping by-windrock7.jpg  

Just dopping by-wilson4.jpg  

Just dopping by-windrock-race.jpg  

Big Mac
    I'll be damned. Welcome back. Pusquit. 😄

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They aren't nearly as ban-happy over here as they used to be. Maybe they noticed how they have run everyone off?

Big Mac
    I reckon. It's pretty slow around here.

mtbr member
    I would love to own a downhill bike. It looks fun as hell!... but I already have, per my wife, too many bikes and too many hobbies. I imagine it would be a lot like motocross, without the throttle to get you out of trouble.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    I would love to own a downhill bike. It looks fun as hell!... but I already have, per my wife, too many bikes and too many hobbies. I imagine it would be a lot like motocross, without the throttle to get you out of trouble.
    Me too. But I'd probably kill myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Me too. But I'd probably kill myself.
    I would wear ALL of my MX gear... and probably still end up in an ambulance
    Pisgah Area SORBA

... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    7 lives (MTBR wise)? You might need them (riding wise), did you look closely at the deck boards on the take off ramp, they look under 1/2". Cool jump, but I would like to see 2" board for longevity/durability.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    7 lives (MTBR wise)? You might need them (riding wise), did you look closely at the deck boards on the take off ramp, they look under 1/2". Cool jump, but I would like to see 2" board for longevity/durability.
    1/2"? I don't think so. They look like store bought 5/4 deck boards, which are an inch.

drunken pirate
    Ever the contrarian, I'm going to say those are 1x boards which measure 3/4". That isn't necessarily a bad thing but I am more concerned about the 2x stringer material that is being run on the flat - those boards should really be on edge. The bracing looks a little suspect and I don't see any bolts.

That is what I would use as my excuse for not hitting that jump. It has nothing to do with being too chicken

Welcome back, deeptroller123, you were very sadly missed. Do you know where Samford is? We could really use him back.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    You could kill two birds with one stone: Upgrade to a new wife and buy a new bike!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    You could kill two birds with one stone: Upgrade to a new wife and buy a new bike!
    My wife rides mountain bikes, dirt bikes, and has a Triumph 675 Daytona SE. She'd be pretty damn hard to upgrade. I really cannot complain because a dedicated DH bike is about the only form of bicycle I do not currently have in my garage
    Pisgah Area SORBA

mtbr member
    My wife rides mountain bikes, dirt bikes, and has a Triumph 675 Daytona SE. She'd be pretty damn hard to upgrade. I really cannot complain because a dedicated DH bike is about the only form of bicycle I do not currently have in my garage
    Dang, it sounds like you have a fun one! I'd own a DH bike if I lived close to a ski resort and I could use it all summer. But, I don't, so I don't see the point of owning one.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I reckon. It's pretty slow around here.
    I see you still have the wealth of wisdom on making trails as boring as possible.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Ever the contrarian, I'm going to say those are 1x boards which measure 3/4". That isn't necessarily a bad thing but I am more concerned about the 2x stringer material that is being run on the flat - those boards should really be on edge. The bracing looks a little suspect and I don't see any bolts.

That is what I would use as my excuse for not hitting that jump. It has nothing to do with being too chicken

Welcome back, deeptroller123, you were very sadly missed. Do you know where Samford is? We could really use him back.
    I'm sticking with 5/4 boards. I don't see a 2x stringer. They gotta have a couple of joists in there somewhere. Hopefully 2x6 at least. Hard to tell from a picture, but I don't see any bolts either. Still don't think I'd hit it.

banned
    Jan 2013
    A few more....me hitting said under built jump and they are fence planks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just dopping by-windrock3.jpg  

Just dopping by-windrock-1.jpg  

Just dopping by-windrock4.jpg  

Just dopping by-windrock13.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    1/2"? I don't think so. They look like store bought 5/4 deck boards, which are an inch.

Maybe I just need to clean my computor glasses

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slackHA View Post
    I see you still have the wealth of wisdom on making trails as boring as possible.
    I hear good things about Windrock, and yes they get to build what they want becuse it is private.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Why didn't you post this one? Best one Brett has done so far imho.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by deeptroller123 View Post
    Cool. I'd like to try that sort of thing one of these days. Are all those pics from windrock?

drunken pirate
    they are fence planks.
    Some fence planks measure 5/8" which would mean we are all wrong
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Big Mac
    Will somebody please dc that decking and confirm the size?!?!😁

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Is this all from Snowshoe, or a comilation of Snowshoe and Windrock?

My guess is you loved Whistler. Great riding at the bike park, but also good riding at Lost Lake and in the backcountry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slackHA View Post
    Rocky Knob Park Promotional on Vimeo

Nothing to see here, just boring trail with jumps, ladder bridges, log skinnies, rock gardens and rock drops. No, not as extreme as as some of the videos you gents have been sharing. What makes Rocky Knob cool is a higher level of riding with proper risk management making it aceptable for a public land managing agency. Rocky knob will open doors and help land managers understand and acept bike parks on public lands as an acceptable risk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We can joke all we want about "under built" but there is a harsh reality to under built structures (and yes I realize you did not build this). I had a phone call this AM from a defense attorney representing a local bike club being sued by someone who fell off a ladder bridge structure. I have served as an expert in a number of lawsuits and it looks as if I am signing up for another.

A rider does not have to experience a total failure of a built structure in crash and injury situation to bring forth a lawsuit against the land manager (public or private) or bike club as the builder. Design, construction and maintenance will be always questioned no matter what.
    Last edited by Woodman; 01-18-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast