mtbr member
    Jul 2006

July Sizzler? Anyone?

I am thinking of racing at Owl's Roost this coming Sunday, and although I have been riding off and on for about a year I have absolutely no idea whether or not I would be a pain or a participant in a race. I figure since I am 18 and in the junior level it wouldn't be anything crazy if there was another participant at all, but I wonder if I could ride in another race that would be more endurance oriented instead of just one balls to the wall 8 mile run?
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]butter. churn. butter.

mtbr member
    Go ahead and race it for fun, your own personal best. It is part of the Cane Creek series so the points don't matter if you only race one.
    Just go and do the best you can anyway for experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I rode Owl's Roost on Sunday and rolled up on a rider being attended to by a couple of paramedics. The rider had crashed near a bridge on the Big Loop trail. I parked at Bur-Mill and took Big Loop to Owl's Roost. The trails were slick, especially those bridges. Be careful if it is wet out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Okay, I have ride Owl's Roost about two times a week usually so I think it will be the best place to ride my first race.

mtbr member
    Yes, that is true about the bridges though. If they are slightly wet just after a rain, they are slick as glass and will send you flying if you are not careful. Watch for the one that is at the bottom of the descent on Big Loop and then the one right at the beginning of the short descent at the start of OR.
    I have seen quite a few people wipe out on them and it happens quick...believe me I speak from experience

mtbr member
    Get your money's worth and race expert.

or sport.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    EXPERT?! I would get murdered and would absolutely be a human tech 5 obstacle. Sport isn't so insane, but for the first time I might as well just race juniors. I talked to some other locals and they said I would be a competitor.