mtbr member
    Jul 2006

It's Not Caney Bottom Anymore!

Howdy folks,

I've recently embarked on a mission of education regarding these two trails. In times past, at least on one map I still have a copy of, the loop of trails from the Cove Creek Group Camp up Caney Bottom Creek, and back down Cove Creek, plus the extension over to the gravel road, was called Caney Bottom Loop. Common knowledge was that the west half only was open to bikes.

Well, that has changed now. Caney Bottom is now the portion of the trail that used to be closed to bikes - the East half of the loop. It is not open to bikes. The entire Cove Creek trail is open to bikes and it goes from the gravel road, right at the top of Caney Bottom, then down to the group camp. But it is NOT called Caney Bottom!

I know, I know, we've always called that ride Caney Bottom(s) and it's going to be hard to change people's minds. But people are now poaching Caney Bottom trail thinking it's the right one. It's COVE CREEK that's open to bikes. Not Caney Bottom.

Help spread the word. Don't poach. Enjoy COVE CREEK!

mtbr member
    I noticed this when I first started riding the trail a few years ago but never really thought much of it. I kept wondering why people called in Caney Bottom when it was actually Cove Creek. Just as everyone always says make sure you follow the signage and all will be good.

Rock on Cove Creek!
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Freeride Pabstist Church
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    I noticed this when I first started riding the trail a few years ago but never really thought much of it. I kept wondering why people called in Caney Bottom when it was actually Cove Creek. Just as everyone always says make sure you follow the signage and all will be good.

Rock on Cove Creek!

And speaking of rocks and Cove Creek, I had to make an unplanned dismount whilst riding over the second log bridge (the one with the handrail) on Monday. Bike Fu went horrible awry and it was out da pedals, over the side and into the creek. Landed the left foot on a nice round rock and now my left ankle sort of resembles Barney the Dinousaur. That hasn't kept me from riding as my Fu returned tonight as I scorched it down Black Mtn. and then onto the fun that is Thrift Cove.

I sure do like living here.

pb

Freeride Pabstist Church
    Jan 2006
    And another thing, between the Pensrose Sausage Mine and H-ville, I counted 27 mtbs on cars on Crab Creek. Seems DuPont was busy tonight. Now I know why my buddy and I saw no one else in the woods this evening.

pb

Category Winner
    So is anybody riding Caney Bottoms this weekend?

Point taken. I could see where out of towners would get the wrong idea, and I will change my evil ways. Thanks for pointing it out.

(just to make sure,my first sentence was sarcastic, the next three were genuine)
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Man! Off the bridge? I walk that sucker. Classic Pisgah carnage on a classic Pisgah trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Geez! I'm so used to it being Caney Bottom I didn't even get it until I read your aside. I caught myself thinking, yeah, maybe that would be fun... It's Cove Creek...Cove Creek...Cove Creek....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc
    Geez! I'm so used to it being Caney Bottom I didn't even get it until I read your aside. I caught myself thinking, yeah, maybe that would be fun... It's Cove Creek...Cove Creek...Cove Creek....

Last time I rode that trail was with TD and "Wonderboy". I watched the wonderboy try and ride the log that is in the middle of the creek at that spot. He got through the creek and about halfway up the log before the SS became too much. It was a valiant effort on a FR SS though.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    It's called "Candy Bottoms".

Everybody knows that.