Thread: Issaqueena

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Issaqueena

I'm going to be in Clemson for a weekend coming up and was interested in any info about this trail or any others in the area. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It's a very good trail with a good many miles but....it's not marked well especially if it's your first time. If you can print out one of the maps from online and take it with you that's a huge help. The lake loop is a good ride with a ton of options as far as extra sections to be added on. Also look into the Hunting Arrow and Double Fork Tree trails. They are accessed from a lower parking area and is a rarely used set of trails.

http://www.sunrift.com/picks/tad-issaq.pdf

I love the Lake Loop though. I just wish it was marked a bit better especially on the topside near the parking lot and on the upper half of the return trip. Either way, the trails at Issaqueena are a blast to ride. To me, riding Lake Loop CCW is better and riding Hunting Arrow CW is my preferred way.

mtbr member
    In the past several months, many trail signs have gone up at Isaqueena. I find it much easier to navigate than it used to be, although it still can be kind of confusing. Twisty XC style, I like Isaqueena a lot. It's very easy to put together a good 90min-2hour ride and with some creative map use, you can go for 4 hours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Issaqueena

It's marked a lot better now than it was. The lake loop is not called lake loop however but it's the one on the southeast side of Issaqueena lake that follows along the bank. There is some erosion there so be careful. Here is a map I made from the old one. I think all the names are up to date (they decided to rename some when putting markings up)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0j4hpipt83...te%20Small.jpg

Good luck and have fun! Stop by RideOn (now names BikeStreetUSA) located off 123 on 93 next to beef o Brady's). They can give you some info too.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for posting the newest map. That version is much better than the years old one I carry with me. Issaqueena is a great place to ride with tons of options for different styles. I can't recommend it enough if you haven't been.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for all the info. I'm hoping to maybe give it a try next weekend while I'm visiting some family in Clemson. I'm glad to hear it is marked better now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just wanted to say thanks again for the updated map. I rode out there Sunday morning/afternoon. Overall, the trails were in good shape with a reroute on the return leg of Dam Road Trail back towards the main parking lot.

I rode a loop of: Main Parking Lot--Hardwood--Logging Road--Dalton Road--Dalton Logging Road--Chain Loop--Chainbreaker--Dalton Road--Wounded Knee--Issaqueena Trail--Dam Road--Dam Road Trail.....about 10 miles.

I think one of the biggest draws to me is the variety of trails out there. Singletrack, fireroads, uphills that are taxing but not crippling and great downhills. The markings have gotten much better but I do suggest the map pat656 made. Already looking forward to my next trip back.

mtbr member
    There's still an error on the new map if you're exploring. Using it yesterday, Burning Car Road is mis-labeled. It's an un-signed double track leaving Triple Creek; When you reach the sign that says Burning Car Road, the road is the map-un-named road that intersects into Doyle Bottom with Hunting Arrow just up the hill.
    I don't know which road is supposed to be Burning Car, but it's not accurate to the map. Fortunately, this did not take me too long to figure out and I enjoy problem solving.

mtbr member
    You know what I'd think would be a great idea? A Pisgah Map Co product for the upstate; one map with Croft, Paris, Isaqueena on it in sections, plus maybe blurbs about pump track, Swamp Rabbit, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Issaqueena

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    There's still an error on the new map if you're exploring. Using it yesterday, Burning Car Road is mis-labeled. It's an un-signed double track leaving Triple Creek; When you reach the sign that says Burning Car Road, the road is the map-un-named road that intersects into Doyle Bottom with Hunting Arrow just up the hill.
    I don't know which road is supposed to be Burning Car, but it's not accurate to the map. Fortunately, this did not take me too long to figure out and I enjoy problem solving.
    Thanks ill look in to it when I get back in the fall. The people putting up signs were suppose to fix it and I guess they didn't. Burning car road is still there is just isn't marked. I'll post up a revision when I figure out what they did with the signing.

Thanks
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You know what I'd think would be a great idea? A Pisgah Map Co product for the upstate; one map with Croft, Paris, Isaqueena on it in sections, plus maybe blurbs about pump track, Swamp Rabbit, etc.
    It's on the list! Hope to so something down that way this year. The areas you've mentioned would be one map most likely and we've also talked with Knight and the folks at Clemson about doing Issaqueena/Fants Grove too. Kind of weird - the more maps I work on the less I get to ride :-(

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey Mike, I rode there this last weekend inspired by this thread, and noticed the same miss placed signage. I'm the original author of the posted map. I gave the files and free usage to Brad for Upstate SORBA back in '07. This is the first time I've ridden Issaqueena in 3 or 4 yrs, but I think Burning Car Rd is where I placed it on the map based on line drawn maps from the Greater Clemson Mnt Bike Club website, GCMBC Web Site, and trail side conversations with unknown riders in '06 and '07. But I have no official knowledge so the my map could be wrong.

There is also a new trail call Gideon's Bible on the map from the bottom of Logging Rd #1 to Triple Creek which is consistent with on the ground signage. But there is a Gideon's Bible sign on the trail I thought was known as Triple Creek Down hill which runs from the middle of Logging Rd #1 down to Triple Creek. Don't know what is correct there either.

Also, I have not ridden the NW side of Issaqueena Lake in a long time. I don't recall putting the downhill courses on the map myself, but I think Brad did so they are most likely correct. Couple of new to me names the map in the Water Fall area too. Can't comment on their accuracy either.

Lastly, some of the Dam Rd trial disappeared in a clear cut in '09 or '10 and I not sure the map is 100 % accurate there either.

Shane

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Issaqueena

I overlaid new GPS data over the old map and corrected any changed trails (like the dam road trail which has been recut yet again this past year and is also on there). I also added the new Xterra trail in the north forest and Gideon's bible. I changed some names I knew got changed when they put up the signs but they are not 100% correct yet. When they made the signs, they decided to change some names and mislabel some trails.

mtbr member
    Whoever "they" is; what Clearcreek is referring to is that the sign/arrow at the Gideon's Bible/Triple Creek intersection indicates that Gideon's Bible (which is an awesome trail, btw) continues onto Triple Creek and does not indicate that it goes back the way you just came (which is actually Gideon's Bible). In other words, the arrow is pointing in the wrong direction. Again, I fortunately like problem solving, so I figured this out and rode on- not a big deal.