mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Input for Southern Cross in Feb.

I am looking for input from my fellow NC & SC MTB riders. For some odd reason I decided to sign up for the Southern Cross race in Feb. I am a regular at the 6WC, Burn24, 3MM (road) and other local races of this type but I have never tried a cross race. Hence I will be on my SJ FSR. At the very least it will be a fun day in the saddle in the N.GA mountains.

My quesiton is what tires should I run (obviously just looking for opinions)? I currenly am running Ignitor 2.4's tubless. Should I slap some 2.1 or 1.95 tires on and something like a Cross Mark, small block 8 or Ignitors? And these are 26" Stan's ZTR rims.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohwell73
    I am looking for input from my fellow NC & SC MTB riders. For some odd reason I decided to sign up for the Southern Cross race in Feb. I am a regular at the 6WC, Burn24, 3MM (road) and other local races of this type but I have never tried a cross race. Hence I will be on my SJ FSR. At the very least it will be a fun day in the saddle in the N.GA mountains.

My quesiton is what tires should I run (obviously just looking for opinions)? I currenly am running Ignitor 2.4's tubless. Should I slap some 2.1 or 1.95 tires on and something like a Cross Mark, small block 8 or Ignitors? And these are 26" Stan's ZTR rims.

I'd run the skinniest tires you got, but unless you're in it to win it or independently wealthy I wouldn't go out and buy something just for this one race.

I'm signed up, somewhat in it to win it, and probably not swapping from my usual tires.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    In to win, nope, goal is to finish, not come in last and be back before the beer is gone.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm in need of some new treads for the coming season so I'll get something like the SB8 or Slant 6 in a 2.1 that I can ride this next season.

If it gets warm enough I'll sport my Death March jersey to show you some support! At least at the starting line....

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohwell73
    If it gets warm enough I'll sport my Death March jersey to show you some support! At least at the starting line....
    That's some wishful thinking.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd just piggy back off of this one. Is there any single track at all in this race or is it mostly dirt and paved roads (I'm just trying to figure out which tire to mount)? Anyone have a comparison to Iron CX?

How about SS gearing? I'm thinking I'll either run 34x17 or 34x18..........yay or nay?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohwell73 View Post

I raced it on a MTB last year with Vee rubber V12's. Pretty inexpensive and fast rolling. I would buy or borrow something a bit more fast rolling than the ignitors.

mtbr member
    I rode it last year on a 'cross bike. I would have been happier on a MTB with skinny tires. The course is about 70% gravel roads, 20-25% paved roads, and a bit of trail/singletrack at the very beginning and very end at the winery. The first long climb had me pushing. I was on a 34/28 low gear. I could have ridden it with MTB gears.

Essentially, you have 2 long climbs and 2 long descents, with a few other things thrown in for fun. The last "run up" is the steepest hill you have ever tried to take your bike up (maybe). But at least they give you beer at the bottom of it.

The swag at the awards party is pretty good. Lots of people walked out with some really good stuff. I got a jar of butt cream.

Have fun.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller