mtbr member

If you only had one day in Pisgah...

I'm bored. Also I have a friend coming from out of town and we'll likely only have one solid day to ride bikes in the woods. If you could only pick one trail/route/loop what would you ride?

I'm on the fence because I don't want to do anything too epic, 20 miles or so probably. Laurel/Pilot (inner loop iffin we need it), Squirrel (but the only way I like riding that these days is out and back unless it's a 'biggun', also no mountain vistas!), Fish Hatchery goodness, cove creek, Danielle and Butter/Long Branch, OR there's thoughts of Heartbreak because I don't believe he's done that.

What'd I miss?

My one says BRAP!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    What'd I miss?
    Mills River.

Start at Trace Ridge TH, up 5000 to Spencer Gap, down to Spencer Branch, up Middle Fork, down Fletcher Field, up Trace Ridge, down Spencer Gap the other way, finish up with Bear Branch. Pretty much what was stage 4 of the PSR two days ago...good giggles and about the 20mi yer looking for.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    10 laps around Lake Powhattan at Bent Creek.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Man I'm glad I know the trails here! I don't understand the draw to Middle Fork at all, or climbing Trace Ridge for that matter, but I know people like to do both. I guess I've just replaced enough bearings and drive train components over the years... Next someone will recommend S.Mills river end to end followed by an out and back on Cantrell Creek!! Yippee!

I'm just playin' thanks for the input I thought of N. Mills too as it's one of my personal favorites but I don't think it's the best of the best... I'm going to stick with higher elevation stuff and avoid the wet, the poor guy is from upstate NY so he's seen enough mud and water for the year I'm sure. Plus I want a nice mountain vista. I guess Black Mountain is the only other candidate really but I'm retiring that one as well until it gets fixed. Farlow would be too much.

I'm leaning towards Heartbreak Ridge... still feel like I'm missing something.
    My one says BRAP!

banned
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    Man I'm glad I know the trails here! I don't understand the draw to Middle Fork at all, or climbing Trace Ridge for that matter, but I know people like to do both. I guess I've just replaced enough bearings and drive train components over the years... Next someone will recommend S.Mills river end to end followed by an out and back on Cantrell Creek!! Yippee!

I'm just playin' thanks for the input I thought of N. Mills too as it's one of my personal favorites but I don't think it's the best of the best... I'm going to stick with higher elevation stuff and avoid the wet, the poor guy is from upstate NY so he's seen enough mud and water for the year I'm sure. Plus I want a nice mountain vista. I guess Black Mountain is the only other candidate really but I'm retiring that one as well until it gets fixed. Farlow would be too much.

I'm leaning towards Heartbreak Ridge... still feel like I'm missing something.
    Go up the Toll rd. and down Heartbreak - GO WITH YER GUT!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    when does old toll close for bear season?

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by pagan696 View Post
    when does old toll close for bear season?

Oct 1
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

drunken pirate
    Laurel > Pilot is the quintessential loop. No need to question the obvious choice.

Middle Fork is an outstanding trail and Trace Ridge trail is the fastest way up. But neither one is a good choice for one day in Pisgah.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Carbon8er
    It's more like putting together a string of trails when you ride Pisgah rather than picking one trail to ride

here's a fun route

Fish hatchery - go left - go left at 475b intersection, stay on 475 - left on Davison river trail - up cove creek - cut off cove creek to the left after crossing the large double log bridge - ride the short connector trail until you run into 225 gravel road - left on gravel road - ride the 225 connector to the top of Daniel ridge trail - left or right on Daniel, your choice - cross the big bridge at the bottom of Daniel ridge - at the Daniel ridge parking lot turn right on 475 - go up the road and do long branch or continue on and do butter gap - back to fish hatchery

At the Daniel ridge junction where the connector comes in at the top
    going right on Daniel takes you to the junction of Farlow and Daniel. Go left, down Daniel for a great technical descent along the creek
    Going left on Daniel is fun also once you get past the rock rubble sections and get back onto single track

mtbr member
    That's one of my favorite routes in the forest actually. Farlow would have been too much. As it was he was walking the upper section of connector trail from Old Toll to Heartbreak. There's no way he would have enjoyed Farlow. (you call *that* steep and technical?!) Heartbreak was almost perfect. He hated me on the last section of Old Toll but I think it all clicked once we hit proper single track. Heartbreak is the best trail in the woods right now.
    My one says BRAP!

Carbon8er
    Yeah, I don't ever include Farlow in my loops
    I am not sure why so many people are enthralled with Farlow

The climb up 229 climb sucks and the top of farlow is not my idea of a good time
    I like the section of farlow close to daniel ridge
    that section is beautiful single track

I do ride technical stuff but I can't get into farlow

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=El34;10718842]

The climb is not that bad and the upper part of Farlow feels remote and is a hoot to ride/crash on

Everybody has their own riding style and some, including myself, enjoy Farlow.

Carbon8er
    yeah, to each his own is the old saying

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    It's more like putting together a string of trails when you ride Pisgah rather than picking one trail to ride

here's a fun route

Fish hatchery - go left - go left at 475b intersection, stay on 475 - left on Davison river trail - up cove creek - cut off cove creek to the left after crossing the large double log bridge - ride the short connector trail until you run into 225 gravel road - left on gravel road - ride the 225 connector to the top of Daniel ridge trail - left or right on Daniel, your choice - cross the big bridge at the bottom of Daniel ridge - at the Daniel ridge parking lot turn right on 475 - go up the road and do long branch or continue on and do butter gap - back to fish hatchery

At the Daniel ridge junction where the connector comes in at the top
    going right on Daniel takes you to the junction of Farlow and Daniel. Go left, down Daniel for a great technical descent along the creek
    Going left on Daniel is fun also once you get past the rock rubble sections and get back onto single track
    Thanks for this suggestion. I just did the first half or more, stopped after Daniel Ridge since I had other stuff to do. New to town and it was my first ride on the south side of 276, usually do Thrift/Grassy/Sycamore/Lower Black or some variation.

I went right at the junction when you start down Daniel, will go the other way next time.

Carbon8er
    Nice, hope you enjoyed the sections you did.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I don't ever include Farlow in my loops

The climb up 229 climb sucks and the top of farlow is not my idea of a good time
    I like the section of farlow close to daniel ridge
    that section is beautiful single track

I do ride technical stuff but I can't get into farlow
    I'm not a Farlow fanatic either. I'll ride it in a group setting when higher skilled riders are present and they're fun to watch. I've nailed a good chunk of it - but a good day for me on Farlow is clearing everything through the first river crossing, if I get that much I'm happy. People can do the rock drop, the sketchy off camber death root ball, and the stairs, I'm happy to walk all that crap honestly it's all past my comfort level on the bike. The trouble with Farlow is that it takes equal parts fitness and high skill level to play successfully. The reason why Farlow is so popular is that it's thought to be the hardest legal trail in Pisgah proper. I tend to agree. Not saying that I don't love riding that trail but it's a great way to feel like a shitty mountain biker as well, and I usually don't need help in that dept.

For a much higher fun factor in that neck of the woods it's all about Danielle, Butter Gap, Cat Gap and Cove Creek if you ask me... hey, isn't Cat Gap, North Slope, and Bennett open now, or soon?
    My one says BRAP!

Carbon8er
    Yeah, I agree
    I have been riding here since the mid 1990's and have a nice collection of pasted together trails that form big loops that I really like to ride and none of them include Farlow

For a much higher fun factor in that neck of the woods it's all about Danielle, Butter Gap, Cat Gap and Cove Creek if you ask me... hey, isn't Cat Gap, North Slope, and Bennett open now, or soon?
    A few more besides the ones you mentioned in the fish hatchery area to throw into a loop are Seniard, the 225 connector that leads up to the top of Daniel, Longbranch and Davidson River

Next Tuesday, the 15th is when all the seasonal trails open (officially)

banned
    Aug 2013
    Yeah, I agree
    I have been riding here since the mid 1990's and have a nice collection of pasted together trails that form big loops that I really like to ride and none of them include Farlow

A few more besides the ones you mentioned in the fish hatchery area to throw into a loop are Seniard, the 225 connector that leads up to the top of Daniel, Longbranch and Davidson River

Next Tuesday, the 15th is when all the seasonal trails open (officially)
    That 225 connector has been ridden a lot this year; it is in pretty good (Brier/Face slapper) shape.

Carbon8er
    The connector see's a good amount of traffic for sure

It's not bad this year
    Todd and his gang weed whacked it for the Swank race last year and it is still not too bad

A few years ago it was a blackberry shredding machine

I remember it being so thick there were a couple places you had to get off and walk your bike through on the back wheel like a shield to shove the blackberry stickers out of the way