mtbr member

Ideal Road Trip FROM AVL...

I'm feelin the wanderlust, and this rain ain't helpin!

SO, Given 4-5 Days, and limited funds but good camping gear, where would your ideal riding road-trip take you from our wonderful neck of the woods?
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    You could do a nice tour starting at Tsali and then head over to the Ocoee Whitewater Center to hit the Tanasi trails. Then to Chattanooga for Raccoon Mtn. Head South to GA to ride Snake Creek Gap or some other part of the Pinhoti trail system. Stop off at Mulberry Gap for a day or 2. Catch Bull Mtn. on your way back north.

Or head North on 81 to VA. I have never ridden up there, but the Harrisonburg area is supposed to be great.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What type of riding do you prefer or are you looking to mix it up? If you like DH/Shuttle runs you can add TTC in chattanooga and Windrock (around Oak Ridge, TN) to the list above, which is an awesome set of points. Only problem I see is if AVL is getting rain those spots probably are as well. Maybe heading up into VA, PA, WV will get you into a different weather pattern.
    Last edited by matty22c; 07-28-2013 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    What type of riding do you prefer or area you looking to mix it up? If you like DH/Shuttle runs you can add TTC in chattanooga and Windrock (around Oak Ridge, TN) to the list above, which is an awesome set of points. Only problem I see is if AVL is getting rain those spots probably are as well. Maybe heading up into VA, PA, WV will get you into a different weather pattern.
    Im looking for folks' ideal trips. For them, not me... What would YOU do?? I like all riding (but I'd have to rent dh)
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    Tour De Virginia if weather allows. Endless riding options, different from here, lots of camping, close enough to not waste too much time. Say....Drive to Mount Rogers, camp and ride for 1-2 days. Drive to Douthat, camp and ride for 1-2 days...If you want more Harrisonburg, Snowshoe, Caanan, Grayson Highlands, Sherando, etc all offer options.

Big Mac

Ideal Road Trip FROM AVL...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Tour De Virginia if weather allows. Endless riding options, different from here, lots of camping, close enough to not waste too much time. Say....Drive to Mount Rogers, camp and ride for 1-2 days. Drive to Douthat, camp and ride for 1-2 days...If you want more Harrisonburg, Snowshoe, Caanan, Grayson Highlands, Sherando, etc all offer options.
    +1. Great riding options in all those places.