Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Icycle 2012 - Fontana Village January 28th 2012

Thanks Christopher, Danny & Wes for bringing it together for 2012

Sycamore Cycles is proud to present The Icycle Mountain Bike Event January 28th 2012 , the most fun you'll ever have on two wheels, rain, sleet, snow or sunshine. The 2012 Icycle will be a mountain biking event to remember. This action packed day and evening will be enjoyed by all who brave the elements!

XC Mtn Bike Races:
    RACER MEETING 10:30am at the Ballfield
    Lemans Start at 11:00am for Beginner, Sport, and Big Bike Categories.
    Lemans Start at 1:00pm for Expert and Single Speed Categories.
    7 mile course offering some of the finest WNC single-track. Course consist of varied terrain with rocks, roots, creeks, & wide open passing lanes.

XC Categories:
    • Sport (M/F) - 11:00AM (2 Laps)
    • Big Bike (13 inches total travel, flat pedals, and <35 lbs) (co-ed) - 11:05AM (1 Lap)
    • Beginner (M/F) - 11:10AM (1 Lap)
    • Expert (M/F) - 1:00PM (3 Laps)
    • Single Speed (co-ed) - 1:05PM (2 Laps)

Night Downhill Race:
    RACER MEETING 5:30pm at the DH Finish & Shuttle Pick-up Area
    Begin at Dark 30: Light up the night!

DH Categories:
    • Expert (M/F)
    • Sport (M/F)
    • Beginner (M/F)
    • Hard Ass = Fully Rigid (coed)

Night Downhill: In order to participate, riders must have a 10 watt or 150 lumens or greater night riding light. Racers must do one night run or will not be allowed to start their race run.

Additional Information:
    Registration and check in at the Fontana Village Adventure Center 8:00am to 12:30 am for XC registristration closes 30 min prior to each event. Registration reopens at 4:00pm to 5:00 for downhill January 28th. Day of registrants $10 late fee.

Prices:
    Pre-Register Online: $30 single event / $50 double event
    Day of Race register: $40 single event / $60 double event

Event held rain, shine, or snow. No-refunds. Helmets must be worn

Event Website:
    coming soon
    Index of /
    old site http://jandwevents.com

Register Online Icycle 2012 - Jan 28 2012 11:00AM

Lodging:
    Rooms & Cabins are available by calling Fontana Village Resort at 1-800-849-2258.
    Fontana Village Resort
    300 Woods Roads
    P.O. Box 68
    Fontana Dam, NC 28733

Fontana Village Resort. A Great Smoky Mountain Destination!

Tele.: 828.498.2211
    Toll Free: 800.849.2258
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Martin

Awesome!

Any deets on the DH course? I may be down for the hard-ass cat

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartin57 View Post
    Any deets on the DH course? I may be down for the hard-ass cat

the Downhill is the same course it's been the past 3 years down Turkey Shoot trail. course will end the field next to the General Store.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Oh my, how neat - this is taking on reunion status. Maybe there should be an unofficial pre-race lap category just for "Old Nostalgia Pharts"?

You know who you are. No excuses - Let's ride!

WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm thinking about starting racing, or at least giving it a try. I stumbled upon this the other day and might have come out and see what this whole racing thing is about.

mtbr member
    I have the same beef with this race as every other cross country race around here. Those of us who would be classified as "beginners" by virtue of our relative lack of speed always just get to race 1 lap for the same price that others do 2 or 3 laps. What's the point of racing 7 miles? This is why I like the endurance events. I may be last or close to it, but at least I get to ride just as far as everyone else.

I may show up and race sport just for the heck of it. Sounds like a good time..
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

No - you should enter expert, do however many laps you are comfortable with and support/heckle those still riding beyond your exit. They especially hate it if you are enjoying an adult beverage.

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I have the same beef with this race as every other cross country race around here. Those of us who would be classified as "beginners" by virtue of our relative lack of speed always just get to race 1 lap for the same price that others do 2 or 3 laps. What's the point of racing 7 miles? This is why I like the endurance events. I may be last or close to it, but at least I get to ride just as far as everyone else.

I may show up and race sport just for the heck of it. Sounds like a good time..
    It is a good time. Everybody is partying.... and then a race breaks out. Leave your beef at home, show up, have a good time, "race", and don't worry about the "race" too much. You'll have a blast. The point of racing 7 miles is having an excuse to party for 47 hours, hang out with everyone else suffering from cabin fever, participate in a rave, stand around a ditch fire, pump up the truck horn, slash the tires on your friend's bike, try to steal a keg, break you @ss on black ice, heckle, and get your @ss kicked by a rocking chair. What's not to like?
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    It is a good time. Everybody is partying.... and then a race breaks out. Leave your beef at home, show up, have a good time, "race", and don't worry about the "race" too much. You'll have a blast. The point of racing 7 miles is having an excuse to party for 47 hours, hang out with everyone else suffering from cabin fever, participate in a rave, stand around a ditch fire, pump up the truck horn, slash the tires on your friend's bike, try to steal a keg, break you @ss on black ice, heckle, and get your @ss kicked by a rocking chair. What's not to like?
    And play bongos to 5am

you remember all of that, but then forget the naked dude on a unicycle; duuude Really?

Category Winner
    The point of racing 7 miles is having an excuse to party for 47 hours, hang out with everyone else suffering from cabin fever, participate in a rave, stand around a ditch fire, pump up the truck horn, slash the tires on your friend's bike, try to steal a keg, break you @ss on black ice, heckle, and get your @ss kicked by a rocking chair.....
    get to be a poster boy, make mad endorsement money as a result, have the babes lining up at your front door, turn them away because they're not so great looking, go back to trying to steal kegs...
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Watch your friend break a rib, win a DH cus you drank the least (is this really considered losing?) Almost kill yourself riding a longboard down steep hills you have no business on. Cough up a lung, get a mad hangover, shoot some fireworks, piss off a dozen people with your vuvuzuela, drive 9 hours to make a 3 hour trip...., avoid the sweaty man house, visit the round house and watch it turn oblong... God I love this ..... thing.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    get to be a poster boy, make mad endorsement money as a result, have the babes lining up at your front door, turn them away because they're not so great looking, go back to trying to steal kegs...
    ....get thrown in a fire, pass out after an embarrasingly small quantity of MD 20/20, get your car stolen....
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Kinda sounding like "everything" happened in 2007:

Icycle 2007 - visuals

In the way-back days, they didn't open up the Inn. You got a cabin or slept in your car. The first year they did open up the Inn, my friend and I had the place to ourselves on Friday (we later discovered there was an Ap. Trail thru hiker guy there, but he was too afraid to leave his room till really late - nice fella). I don't think anyone else can lay claim to an Inn Ride Rodeo. I love this place.

Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao View Post
    Watch your friend break a rib, win a DH cus you drank the least (is this really considered losing?) Almost kill yourself riding a longboard down steep hills you have no business on. Cough up a lung, get a mad hangover, shoot some fireworks, piss off a dozen people with your vuvuzuela, drive 9 hours to make a 3 hour trip...., avoid the sweaty man house, visit the round house and watch it turn oblong... God I love this ..... thing.

You forgot about falling out of the back of a moving truck

good times good times

EOD on the Knee Plant FAIL, ok? Three people tried to grab you. Even PO'd, you still walked up the hill. Classic.

Category Winner
    I also lost my wooden dick in 2007. That's the biggest reason I haven't returned since.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Team Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1 View Post
    the Downhill is the same course it's been the past 3 years down Turkey Shoot trail. course will end the field next to the General Store.
    I've never ridden Fontana so I guess the question is how insane of a trip down the trail would this be on a fully rigid rig?

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartin57 View Post
    I've never ridden Fontana so I guess the question is how insane of a trip down the trail would this be on a fully rigid rig?
    it is not a difficult trail to ride with rigid bike

the back section of the XC course is a more difficult downhill than the actual "DH" course

here is a video fro 07 which had a long Downhill course

Icycle Race from Brado1 on Vimeo.

Photos of the DH course

DSC_0274

DSC_0291

DSC_0367

DSC_0391

DSC_0392

DSC_0448

DSC_0465

DSC_0476

DSC_0487

DSC_0498

DSC_0513

Icycle - Lodging Info

When making cabin or lodge reservations with Fontana Village Resort make sure you mention you're coming up for Icycle! You get 50% off cabin rental
    Thank you Fontana Village!
    828-498-2211 or 800-849-2258 (reservations)

http://www.fontanavillage.com/accomm.../rates2011.pdf

Team Martin

Right on!

I'm gonna do my best to make this frozen shindig

BTW, great pics & vid

What a great deal! Be sure to call before booking - room/cabin prices might be a bit lower than listed. Ex: Std. Lodge room is $59 + taxes.

Tetris Master
    wow. that sounds like a good race, not the race. just the stories. I'll definitely bring my vuvuzela if the other guy does. the more the merry.
    The Highlander was a documentary, and it was filmed in real time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That dang dog was fast. Chased her down the trail all day and she still beat me. Not this year. Room booked race fee paid for. Hope it snows.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1 View Post
    it is not a difficult trail to ride with rigid bike

the back section of the XC course is a more difficult downhill than the actual "DH" course

here is a video fro 07 which had a long Downhill course

Icycle Race from Brado1 on Vimeo.

Photos of the DH course

DSC_0274

DSC_0291

DSC_0367

DSC_0391

DSC_0392

DSC_0448

DSC_0465

DSC_0476

DSC_0487

DSC_0498

DSC_0513

Great time! 2007 was the only year we could make it and had to shove off after the XC race, well worth the trip for the event. BUT, wouldn't recommend driving up just to ride...

The longer the ride - the better the pain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast