mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Icycle 2011 Cancelled

It's been a great bunch of years but due to logistics the Icycle will not be happening this year. A big thanks to all of you that have supported the event for so many years.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    wah - I actually wanted to enter this year

Official Cooler Inspector
    Missed last year and was looking forward to 2011. Nearly made a reservation at the Lodge today. Sad, but thanks for taking time to notify on MTBr.

No headset points with this post.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Well THANKS to all who have made the 'cycle happen all these winters. It really is a shame. I was just working myself into excuses as to why I shouldn't even think about it...

As to what is going on, I don't know but it has snowed twice here in the past week and a half and its not even Christmas yet

The longer the ride - the better the pain

Big Mac
    Too many icycles? Too cold?

banned
    First the P36 and now Icycle? What is going on?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    You better watch that Pompous attitude man, Pile on boys he's back

Big Mac
    Hey what happened? Recycling for a better tomorrow?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    You better watch that Pompous attitude man, Pile on boys he's back
    I didn't know he left.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    I didn't know he left.
    he didn't he was just "incognito"

mtbr member
    Any plans on bringing it back in 2012?

Asheville needs more mountain bike racing - and as much as I love the big format stuff why not a XC style SERIES?
    My one says BRAP!

cowbellchallenge
    Mar 2007
    yes, the asheville and wnc would be a great place for a series made up of xc, marathon, the hour races, stage race, super d, downhill and short track. there is lot of time, politics, fees and donations paid out and politics, paper work involved, promotion, equipment, sponsorship dealing and more politics, etc to put on a race. most race promoters don't make the amount of money that some may think, a good rate of return is about 50%-70% and that is on a good day race day. the old dead cowbell race had a budget of $10,000 for one race, 75% of that was the cost and hopefully 25% left over to be donated after the bills were paid. It would seem that pas would want to work on a series, when not building trails, as a fundraiser. ...putting on races is full time job...anyway it is a great idea for an mtb race series for the wnc or asheville area.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cowbellchallenge
    yes, the asheville and wnc would be a great place for a series made up of xc, marathon, the hour races, stage race, super d, downhill and short track. there is lot of time, politics, fees and donations paid out and politics, paper work involved, promotion, equipment, sponsorship dealing and more politics, etc to put on a race. most race promoters don't make the amount of money that some may think, a good rate of return is about 50%-70% and that is on a good day race day. the old dead cowbell race had a budget of $10,000 for one race, 75% of that was the cost and hopefully 25% left over to be donated after the bills were paid. It would seem that pas would want to work on a series, when not building trails, as a fundraiser. ...putting on races is full time job...anyway it is a great idea for an mtb race series for the wnc or asheville area.
    No cowbell either? WTF?!?!?!

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    any chance of moving it to a later date? March/April maybe before the Deals Gap degenerates descend on the place? Night in March in Graham County is still high and tight weather.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    ...It would seem that pas would want to work on a series...
    Haven't they suffered enough?! (;

I think it takes a special type to put on events year after year. Mortals seem to burn out from all the stress.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    global warming, el nino, the economy....take your pick

banned
    Icycle was probably cancelled because of all the pissing and moaning that everyone did about the snowy weather last year.

Like this : We couldn't get there You know who you are!!!!!!!!!!
    I can pull up the old thread if I have too!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I have never ridden out there ...
    how long is the dh run out there anyway?
    fun factor?

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    the DH run on Turkey Shoot tr. was actually pretty short finishing times were like 1:10+

there is a better / longer downhill section on the backside of the XC course (Llewelyn Trail)

video from a couple of years ago

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/2791769" width="600" height="424" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/2791769">Icycle Race</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1113708">Brado1</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    that looked fun . not big bike worthy i guess. I will have to check it out
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supercusty
    that looked fun . not big bike worthy i guess. I will have to check it out
    thanks

Big bike worthy Michael Mooney was only a couple seconds off the winning pro time on a tallbike

<object width='500' height='375'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/58722/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/58722/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='375' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    do you think he went on a dry run before hand to measure the tree canopy to make sure he was not decapitated . ahhahahah what a nut job

mtbr member

I'm thinking small, grass roots style short format racing. there's nothing here - and for all the people that mountain bike here it's always surprised me. Richmond Hill is a good option for this. Just thinking out loud.
    My one says BRAP!

Grass Roots racing was killed by liability Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by plume
    I'm thinking small, grass roots style short format racing. there's nothing here - and for all the people that mountain bike here it's always surprised me. Richmond Hill is a good option for this. Just thinking out loud.
    Grass Roots racing was killed by liability Insurance that and greedy property owners (people from the north)

Big Mac
    Gated communities did grassroots in for good.

pronounced may-duh
    How cool is this? http://www.nationalmtb.org/

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    this maybe a stupid question - but why cant we all just go out and race without insurace etc... i mean if you can ride there how is it that much different .. I get it when it is at hawksnest or somewhere that the trails are not normally open...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    How cool is this? http://www.nationalmtb.org/

Exactly what the sport needs. Very cool.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    So we're just going to see more and more unsanctioned events. More virtual racing, maybe?
    My one says BRAP!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    but why cant we all just go out and race without insurace etc...
    You can...20 people can gether at any trailhead and race any time they want. Just make sure there's no numbers, entry fees, course markings or prizes involved...or at least out in the open. Unfortunately these days unless there's a website, t-shirts, prizes, etc people have a tough time getting motivated.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Grass Roots racing was killed by liability Insurance that and greedy property owners (people from the north)
    You're learning.

Specifically the attorneys from that show Boston Legal.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Insurance for an event or a series of events is far cheaper than you think. I am involved in a developing CX series here in Asheville and we were very happy with the quotes we got for our 5 race series.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Insurance info
    http://www.mckayinsagency.com/MountainBike.aspx

If you sanction through USAC, insurance is $3 a participant but the participants have to either have an annual USAC license or purchase a one-day for $5.

When did you get here?!?!
    this maybe a stupid question - but why cant we all just go out and race without insurace etc... i mean if you can ride there how is it that much different .. I get it when it is at hawksnest or somewhere that the trails are not normally open...?
    I'll take a stab at this one....

This is the deal: In the end there is one person who is the 'organizer' of the non-event. If anyone would just happen to get hurt bad enough that their insurance got involved (remember: even in a non-event people go faster/harder/bigger than normal) the 'organizer' would be sitting there with a fresh load in their chamois. If the insurance folks got wind of the fact that there was an event going on, THEY would go after the 'organizer'. If no one steps up and admits they are the one (or that there was an event), then the insurance agency will go after the land owners. It's not the racers, it's the racer's insurance the organizer has to worry about. Now say you don't have the $10K they want as restitution.... They will sue the socks off your feet and the house key out of your hand.... or if they have to go after the land owner.... just imagine the bad taste the forest service would have in their mouths if they got sued..... edit: and how would that be different than if you got hurt JRA in the forest? The investigation by the legal folks at the Insurance and/or USFS. Sorry but in this information age, unless there were only two people competing, someone will have loose lips.
    Last edited by pisgahproductions; 01-03-2011 at 05:26 AM.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Official Cooler Inspector
    Not. 2/12
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Members who have read this thread: 0