mtbr member
    Sep 2007

I will be in Asheville in a couple of weeks. Where should I ride?

I will be there for three days and plan to ride each morning. Thanks for any suggestions.

Rogue Exterminator
    Bent Creek, Pisgah, DuPont

If you are on a schedule than Bent Creek.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Visit the Hub Bike Shop, for bikes and craft beer....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Visit the Hub Bike Shop, for bikes and craft beer....
    Yes, because everyone here drives 30 miles for beer in the morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Bent Creek, Pisgah, DuPont
    This. Not sure of your perferred riding or skill level, but in order of difficulty, these places are (in my opinion): Dupont, Bent Creek and Pisgah. On 90% of the pisgah, expect to walk a decent amount during both the descent and ascent.

My favorite trails in Pisgah national park are: Black Mountian and Squirrel Gap. The hardest trails (for me) that I've ridden out there are Farlow Gap (by far) and Pilot Rock.

If you're going for a morning ride in Bent Creek, a good long-ish route is:

Park at RP, climb Wolf, Ingles Field and the boundary road to Greens Lick. Descend GL, and the road, take a left and climb the road to Upper Sidehill, come down, if you have a lot left, take a right and head over and do some of the Explorer Loop options, then head BACK up the road to where you came out of Greens Lick and head back up Hickory to the top of Ingles Field, go back down Ingles and Wolf to your car. Good times. about 17-22 miles depending on whether you go over to explorer.

My favorite trails in Dupont are Cedar Rock/Big Rock and Burnt Mountain, although you ought not to miss the Ridgeline DH and a descent of Jim Branch.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have had more than a few morning beers while waiting out the rain on trips. If we have to head out of the woods while we are there for bike parts, the offender has to buy drinks for the rest of the party.

ready to ride
    What doctor-zab said.

If you head to Pisgah or Du Pont from Asheville you are looking at the better part of the day. If you have time by all means try and check out some Du Pont or Pisgah. Otherwise Bent Creek is a better option for a morning ride. There your can easily get in 12 miles similar route to zabs in under 2 hours. Assuming your skills are intermediate or better.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How long will it take me to get from downtown asheville to Pisgah? I was thinking of driving to Pisgah early in the morning and riding for maybe two hours and heading back. Is that realistic? Now I am thinking I would head to Pisgah just one morning and spend the other two days closer to asheville. Thanks for the suggestions.

ready to ride
    Pisgah is big place. Typically in regards to mountain biking it is considered the area from the Mills River area to Courthouse Creek off of HWY 215. There would be several "districts" the North Mills (closest to Asheville), the South Mills, Headwaters, and Cradle of the Forestry. If you look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum you will find links to Pisgah Area Sorba's trail routes. Most of the better Pisgah rides are going to take you more than 2 hours. With most Pisgah trails those miles are hard earned miles, lots of elevation change, and big climbs, often includes a lot of hike a bike. My general rule of thumb is don't try to do it on a limited time schedule unless you have ridden that trail several times and know what to expect. Even then things like downed trees, which there seems to be a fair number of, can slow you down.

The exception would be the North mills area, which is about 30-45 minutes from downtown to the trailhead. Where as Bent Creek is about 15 minutes from downtown to the trailhead. Asheville to the other areas which are North of Brevard is about an hour, same with Du Pont which is south of Brevard. The only trails I really ride in the North Mills area is Laurel Mountain>Pilot Rock and that usually takes me about 3 hours but I would allocate 4 or 5 if you aren't used to the mountains plus about 2 hours travel so....

If I where you I would try out Bent Creek first. If you clean it up at Bent Creek and want something more challenging then maybe consider something in the Pisgah, but if you only have a couple of hours to ride that really limits your options.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    yup^ or for something with a bit more meat for a second day driving to Bent Creek, you could ride up the road and over the parkway down to the Trace Ridge route. Good fun there.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

Rogue Exterminator
    There are a few small loops that might be able to be done in 2 hours in Pisgah depending on your riding ability. Trace Ridge comes to mind. However, like Matt said, you are best sticking with Bent Creek.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    o.k. bent creek it is unless it looks like I can spend most of the morning and afternoon riding. My gf will be with me so unless she can spend a good bit of the day walking around near the condo doing some shopping, I probably won't try pisgah. I will just have to see what is near our location. Thanks for all of the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just drop her off at Grove Park or Biltmore and get her the spa package. Then head to pisgah. Daniels Ridge is a pretty quick loop in pisgah otherwise.