Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I was mean. .. "Ultimate Ride Campground" content

So after our ride yesterday the "Ultimate Campground" lady pulled up in her trailer with her horses and asked "Are you guys camping?" I said "No we are all driving home." She said "I was just wondering where you mountain bikers camp because I own a campground." I responded "Ultimate Ride?" She said "yah." I said "Mountain bikers usually stay at Black Forest." She promptly drove off.

I know I was mean but oh well. I might have laughed at myself a little. The other guys that were with me (don't know the story) looked at me like I was the devil.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You have a very nice group of friends, most people might have hit you for saying that. That woman is evil, avoid that place like the plague!

Tucker

mtbr member
    After the posts that I have seen, I knew that somebody would get a kick out of that story.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

Is Ultimate Ride Campground not good???

Is she still evil ? I just reserved a couple of sites... then thought to search the forum

What's up with her? Anything I should be careful to avoid... like staying there?
    I read that on the internet.

Philosophizer
    I dis some work for her a few years ago......she's nuts.
    I hate rude behavior in a man.....won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F Call.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    The woman I spoke to on the phone seemed ok, but maybe that was not the nutso. I'm staying only 1 night, so I should be able to tollerate it. I will get prepared for anything though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40hills
    What's up with her?
    Initially I met this Lady (if it is still the same lady who built the place) when she was first building that site. She seemed ok then but slightly off the rocker. You know, a rocker with only one runner on the bottom, you can still sit in it but you could fall out at any moment.

Anything I should be careful to avoid... like staying there?
    Terrorists, Drinking sour milk, significant gravel road descents. . . Is this what your looking for? Ohhh you meant the campground, yah don't stay there.

I am sure you will be ok, let us know how your experience "pans" out.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It is not just the mtn bike community that does not like her. I was working with the USFS and trail user groups doing trail assessment and education work down in GA and learned that the equestrian community also thinks she is whacked. It is about the only place for out of towners with horse to stay, so they are somewhat locked in.

Other options for mtn bikers camping in our area include:

Davidson River Campground
    Cascade Lake Recreation area
    Ash Grove Campground (they also have a few cabins)

Woody

memorable member
    The woman I spoke to on the phone seemed ok, but maybe that was not the nutso. I'm staying only 1 night, so I should be able to tollerate it. I will get prepared for anything though.
    Check out black forest next time. Very nice place. Owners are cool too. They did about have a cow when we told them we were going night riding at Dupont.I guess that sounds strange to some people.

It could be made into a monster, if we all pull together as a team.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Okay. So what is it with this woman that gives her such a bad rap? I must have missed the threads about this.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Its got what plants crave
    I've seen that place but saw little need to stay there given the huge selection of awesome campsites within the forest. I *am* getting a little annoyed at how MUCH it costs to camp at places like Davidson River, however. I'm thinking about using some of the primitive areas on my next trip up there.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

I'll find out tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Okay. So what is it with this woman that gives her such a bad rap? I must have missed the threads about this.
    I dunno either, but it sounds like she blows her top from time to time... like gets furious with people or something.

I honestly don't expect it to be a big deal, but I will certainly be on the lookout for oddities. Perhaps on the way out I'll tell her the tent sites aren't flat and see what she does

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I've seen that place but saw little need to stay there given the huge selection of awesome campsites within the forest. I'm thinking about using some of the primitive areas on my next trip up there.
    True in Pisgah, not in Dupont.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

pronounced may-duh
    I dunno either, but it sounds like she blows her top from time to time... like gets furious with people or something.

I honestly don't expect it to be a big deal, but I will certainly be on the lookout for oddities. Perhaps on the way out I'll tell her the tent sites aren't flat and see what she does
    If you are willing to spend Saturday doing some trail work you can camp for FREE inside DuPont. See here: Dupont Camp / Work / Ride weekend info.

Other than the work on saturday there will be group rides and hanging out in Dupont all weekend.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    True in Pisgah, not in Dupont.
    If you want a car accesible spot in Pisgah you need to come early. By Friday they are filled up solid. You can camp anywhere out in the woods as long as your a certian minimum distance from the road.

Official Cooler Inspector
    I checked out the place prior to opening and have driven though a few times to see if it had changed. Regardless of previous web posts, the two big questions would be: a.) Do you like horses? b.) Do you like to sleep feet or head down hill?

Horse folks tend to get "preference" for the more level sites.
    I am a fool for those special connections

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    From what I have heard, and I have no direct experience, the Ultimate Ride does not allow alcohol at all. Call me a drunk, but I am just not camping without beer. Cascade Lake has a "No Alcohol" sign, but it is not enforced. Their sign is probably for insurance purposes or used to kick out the rowdy types. Anyway, Cascade Lake was/is nice IMO.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Drunk.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    The campground is a little "rough around the edges"... fortunately for me my riding partner bailed at the last minute and it was a solo trip for me... I say fortunately because I upgraded to one of the "improved" sites without even looking at the "unimproved" sites. And I'm glad I did... the unimproved sites looked horrible. I don't think I could even fit my tent on most of them... and I don't see how you could maneuver a car to those sites.

What seemed most strange to me is the policy that she apparently won't rent an improved site to 1 person because 1 person is only $12/nt (or whatever)... I don't think she would allow 1 person to reserve an improved site for $24/nt... very odd. I think she made an exception for me because I had already paid for 2 sites at $12 each (or whatever it cost). Got that? YMMV.

mtbr member
    The campground is a little "rough around the edges"... fortunately for me my riding partner bailed at the last minute and it was a solo trip for me... I say fortunately because I upgraded to one of the "improved" sites without even looking at the "unimproved" sites. And I'm glad I did... the unimproved sites looked horrible. I don't think I could even fit my tent on most of them... and I don't see how you could maneuver a car to those sites.

What seemed most strange to me is the policy that she apparently won't rent an improved site to 1 person because 1 person is only $12/nt (or whatever)... I don't think she would allow 1 person to reserve an improved site for $24/nt... very odd. I think she made an exception for me because I had already paid for 2 sites at $12 each (or whatever it cost). Got that? YMMV.
    You lost me at "What". You could have said "she if fugging crazy. Avoid the place."

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I would like to know more about this place, as I have some folks who are going to be up near Hendersonville, and would like a place close to Dupont.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by george2926 View Post
    I would like to know more about this place, as I have some folks who are going to be up near Hendersonville, and would like a place close to Dupont.
    This campground closed years ago. Look at Black Mountain Campground or Ash Grove Campground and Cabins if you want to be close to DuPont.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    This campground closed years ago. Look at Black Mountain Campground or Ash Grove Campground and Cabins if you want to be close to DuPont.
    I think you mean the "Black Forest" family campground? Also, how about Cascade Lake campground?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 40hills View Post
    I think you mean the "Black Forest" family campground? Also, how about Cascade Lake campground?
    Correct, Black Forest. Great Folks. Yes, Cascade Lakes CG is also closeby.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=extrmtao;2261030]After the posts that I have seen, I knew that somebody would get a kick out of that story.[/QUOTE

You are sooooooo mean1
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast