Thread: Hunting Season?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Hunting Season?

This is my first hunting season in the area, and the bowhunter and the guy squirrel hunting in Bent Creek today made me realize I really need to figure out the local seasons and areas where hunting is legal. Anyone want to do a quick breakdown as a community service? Or any links to the appropriate resources on the internet? Also, do you limit your riding during a particular season in Bent Creek?

Thanks,

Tim

mtbr member
    Here's a link for ncwildlife.org. http://www.ncwildlife.org/index.htm
    As far as limiting you riding during hunting season, I don't see why you would have to, just wear an orange vest or shirt and pay attention to your surroundings.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Official Cooler Inspector
    Fashion News for WNC:

ORANGE - even on Sunday.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/515/233261Protect.jpg

mtbr member
    I was shocked yesterday when riding down, I think Long Branch, and came across two guys with rifles in camo. I didn't even realize people hunted in Pisgah. Great choice by them to be on one of the most popular trails in the park.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rowell
    do you limit your riding during a particular season in Bent Creek?

Thanks,

Tim

No , but i tend not to wear my favorite deer suit!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpCane
    I was shocked yesterday when riding down, I think Long Branch, and came across two guys with rifles in camo. I didn't even realize people hunted in Pisgah. Great choice by them to be on one of the most popular trails in the park.
    Hunters always use the same trails as bikers, hikers, and equestrians to access remote hunting spots. Like I mentioned, during hunting season, especailly rifle season you need to really pay attention to your surroundings. The guys you ran across were probably hunting for squirrel or grouse since muzzle loading season for deer just ended along with bear season. Rifle season for deer does not start until Nov 20 and lasts until Dec 9.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Official Cooler Inspector
    FYI: Best add this to your Hunter or Hunted ride strategies this week. Just found out today that thereís group of Gatorís lodging in Bent Creek. Stay away from the warmer"swampy" areas.

http://swampclub.org/images/gator_logo.gif

Brado has nothing to fear:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...lideshow74.htm
    Last edited by M-U-M; 10-22-2006 at 04:45 PM.

pronounced may-duh
    Saturday riding in bent creek I saw to guys with rifles and bright orange vests on Explorer loop. They were very friendly and made sure to keep thier guns pointed away from me as I passed them. I really know nothing about shooting animals but IMHO bent creek is just to busy with bikers and joggers for hunting. Don't all the bikers and hikers scare off the animals? What if they miss thier target and some hiker gets the stray fire? I know bent creek isn't grand central station but it's geting darn close. In the half hour or so it took to get from rice pinnacle to the top of greens link I saw probably more than 20 riders and maybe a dozen or so people on foot.

I've got no beef with the hunters. I'm not changing my riding. I will wear the bright colors and I hope that they will be careful with thier guns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Saturday riding in bent creek I saw to guys with rifles and bright orange vests on Explorer loop. They were very friendly and made sure to keep thier guns pointed away from me as I passed them. I really know nothing about shooting animals but IMHO bent creek is just to busy with bikers and joggers for hunting. Don't all the bikers and hikers scare off the animals? What if they miss thier target and some hiker gets the stray fire? I know bent creek isn't grand central station but it's geting darn close. In the half hour or so it took to get from rice pinnacle to the top of greens link I saw probably more than 20 riders and maybe a dozen or so people on foot.

I've got no beef with the hunters. I'm not changing my riding. I will wear the bright colors and I hope that they will be careful with thier guns.

I hear ya! We were some of the first riders out yesterday and I made sure everyone knew I was not an animal as we came down the trails. The hunters may not appreciate my hoops and hollers but I feel it keeps me safe.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    I made sure everyone knew I was not an animal as we came down the trails. The hunters may not appreciate my hoops and hollers but I feel it keeps me safe.
    yeah i'm a noise maker as well.

you know they're(hunters) thinkin' "If they only had a season for these idiots!"
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yeah, making noise is a good thing during hunting season. It alerts hunters in the area to your where abouts and will keep them from firing in your direction. I am glad that hunters safety was made mandatory for anyone wanting to hunt in NC, cuts down on the number of unnecessary accidents and fatalities. As far as the noise us bikers makes scaring off animals, sometimes it does, but the majority of the time I have seen animals get spooked was due more to the sounds of crunching leaves and breaking sticks than us having a good time hootin' and hollarin'. I have had deer just stand there and look at me as I rode by probably thinking to themselves "What the f**k is this @$$hole doing?"
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I was up there last weekend (though not biking) and saw tons of hunters. I think it was bear season. The hunters I saw were using a pack of dogs to flush out bear/deer while hunters wait for the bear/deer on the other side of the valley or whatever. It's something to keep an ear open for, I reckon.
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

mtbr member
    And remember (saw this on the game commission site):

Public nudity on any game land is prohibited.
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

mtbr member
    My husband hunts, so of course he thinks hunters are wonderful people.

HOWEVER, the hunters he has come across in the Bent Creek area he generally makes an exception for. They appear to be somewhat....substandard...hunters. We have seen them sitting beside the gravel road not 30 yards from Hard Times parking lot...like they expect a deer to come strolling down the gravel path. A couple of years ago, we rounded a corner on a piece of doubletrack near Boyd Branch, and a hunter actually swung around on us, pointed his gun directly at Jeff. Really now, how many deers are running loud-ass Chris King hubs?

As a result, we don't go anywhere near Bent Creek during gun season. It's a very short season, and that apparently adds to the danger when people are extremely eager to take a deer.

Jeff says not to worry about the bow hunters. You have to very close to a deer to hit it with a bow and arrow, so the hunter should easily be able to identify you as human.

This happens every year and the density (human) is increasing with each season. I as a rule do not ride (mountain bikes) during Thanksgiving weekend. It seems like hunting activities peaks on that holiday weekend......If you do ride during hunting season by all means wear an orange vest for your own personal safety.
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=3]"Roll your own......." [SIZE=1]Smokebikes.com[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    First hunting season for me too...has there actually ever been an "accidental" shooting of a mtber (or any other outdoor enthusiast for that matter)??? ...or just close calls?

Last weekend on Laurel Mtn I saw a couple of hunters across a gap (I think that is what it is refered to) they stopped, looked but did not point...it was kinda un-nerving, just a reminder to me that we share the woods!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    yeah i'm a noise maker as well.

you know they're(hunters) thinkin' "If they only had a season for these idiots!"

Excellent Pic BradOOOOOO, I just got around to checking this one out. I am sure that isn't the first time I have been in the crosshairs. . .
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the replies and advice. Pisgah Area Sorba has a nice concise listing of the hunting seasons in the November Newsletter.

mtbr member
    The latest PAS newsletter has a schedule of the 2006-2007 WNC hunting seasons. Check it out here.