Thread: How far south?

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008

How far south?

I'm jonsing bad. I know this is save the trails season, and I'm doing my best to just ride the roads, but a person can only withstand that inferior form of cycling for so long...

I'm north of asheville just up into TN and everything around here is slop. This weekend I'm looking to get on I-26 to drive south untill I can find a place to ride that isn't muddy. I'm hoping I can find a spot in SC (isaqueena/clemson area?), but maybe I'll have to keep going till I hit Georgia, Florida, Cuba, Honduras....

How far south do I need to travel to find relatively dry and un-fragile singletrack?

Why does mother nature hate us?
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

mtbr member
    If we get 3 sunny days in a row as predicted, the Croft trails in Spartanburg may be OK this weekend.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I am driving to santos this weekened 75 is the high there today ... do you wear shorts and short sleeves in 75 I have forgotten?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    If we get 3 sunny days in a row as predicted, the Croft trails in Spartanburg may be OK this weekend.
    I forgot to post Croft conditions, I was busy posting on F88. Croft -Sunday was good, the Palmetto trail was sloppy, but all the Bandit trails were fine.

more fun in the middle
    May 2009
    Greenville's Paris Mountain is in good shape as of yesterday. a little mud in some low places, but that will probably go away today. No snow, no ice.
    navigation is key to finding your way around.
    teamglr.com

mtbr member
    I am planning on ride between 7ish-9ish am this weekend both days. Trail conditions will be fine while the ground is still frozen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I understand Oak Mountain (Birmingham, AL) is in good shape. 20 mile loop. It's a long way, but closer than Santos I think. There may well be a group from here (Chattanooga) headed that way really soon.

FWIW, Chattanooga isn't good right now, though it might be okay this weekend if, by some strange chance, the snow and rain forecast for tonight don't happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamGLR
    Greenville's Paris Mountain is in good shape as of yesterday. a little mud in some low places, but that will probably go away today. No snow, no ice.
    Not to be trail nazi, but just for the benefit of out-of-staters...Paris Mountain is closed on Saturdays.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Not to be trail nazi, but just for the benefit of out-of-staters...Paris Mountain is closed on Saturdays.
    Speaking of trail nazis -

Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    I understand Oak Mountain (Birmingham, AL) is in good shape. 20 mile loop. It's a long way, but closer than Santos I think. There may well be a group from here (Chattanooga) headed that way really soon.

FWIW, Chattanooga isn't good right now, though it might be okay this weekend if, by some strange chance, the snow and rain forecast for tonight don't happen.
    I grew up in Birmingham, and although Oak Mtn. is a great asset for the B'ham area, I damn sure wouldn't drive from Asheville to ride there. That's a 6 hr. trip. It might be worth it from Chattanooga, but not from Asheville. That's my opinion. I have family there, so I do ride OMSP fairly often. I think riding early/late or road is a better option if you're avoiding slop. That part is up to you. We do have autonomy ya' know!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty
    I am driving to santos this weekened 75 is the high there today ... do you wear shorts and short sleeves in 75 I have forgotten?
    It's been a while but I believe a thong and tube top would be more appropriate

-eddie.
    "Those of you that have been riding your skinny tire sissy bikes with your gay shaved legs, get out. Now."

This is to funny.

mtbr member
    From what I rode last night, Issaqueena looks fine for the weekend. I would avoid the lake trail but other then that ok to ride.

mtbr member
    We drove from Greenville, SC to Florida last weekend and rode Santos and San Felasco. It was worth the trip. The weather was great and the trails were dry. If you go and decide to camp, the campground at Santos is nice but will probably be booked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That movie was funny.

mtbr member
    The FATS was decent on Saturday. Definitely worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Clemson on Sun - Issa was in really good shape, there was some mush, but not a lot. Freeride was greasy in the am, but got really good by the end of the day. Lots of crashes though at the FR area, three that I know of, two wrists (one was mine) and one jewels. All three ended the day for each of us.

Prob be really nice today.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    Wilson Creek is great right now

mtbr member
    not for long, rain is on the way. It's started here in GVL and moving that way.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis