mtbr member
    Jun 2009

House or apartment hunting in Asheville

I'm probably taking a position in Swannanoa (Swannanowhere they told me!, I have not heard that one!) in April.

What input would you Asheville folks have for a fellow MTBer when looking for a place?

I'd love to be close to Bent Creek, but may live on any side of town.
    I know Black Mountain would be cool. I would like to be by a greenway at the minimum.

Where would you all live if you were me? Could I live on the East side of town? Why do they call it Swannanowhere exactly?

Also, anybody know of a house or apartment???????

2 BR + preferred

Any input or advice would be really appreciated!

When did you get here?!?!
    Swannanowhere is about 20 miles from Asheville and 10 from Black Mountain. There is little to do out there other than crashing your car on Rt70.

You want to be near the interstate if you're not living out there. West Asheville is Best Asheville. It's close to Bent Creek, has everything you need (groceries/post office/banks/bars/interstate/restaurants/ghetto quickymarts) and has that certain Asheville flavor most people are looking for (patcholli/beer/coffee/weed?).

Housing is expensive and hard to come by. Start looking NOW. You may find something decent by April.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

2x post
    Last edited by pisgahproductions; 02-25-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: x2post
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Eric!

I was specifically told to avoid W. Asheville, but I'm not scared at all of bad neighborhoods/urban adventuring, etc. I couldn't figure out why they told me to avoid it. Possibly price? He didn't go into it. I really like that side of everything. I'm an hour away, so it shouldn't be too hard to trouble shoot everything.

Thanks again!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you would rather be closer to riding than your job, there is a home for sale in Pisgah Forest. 200 yds from entrance to Pisgah. Probably 1 hr ish to Swannanowhere.

ready to ride
    I think Pisgahproduction's distances are skewed, he might of meant minutes instead of miles. Black Mountain is 16 miles from downtown Asheville. I used to drive it all the time. Black Mountain is a neat little town, but not a whole lot going on out there. Some people like that. Me not so much. I also found it to be the opposite side of 90% of the things I love to do. That bascially meant adding 20 minutes to where ever I wanted to go. Most of the places I like to bike, fish, backpack etc are west or south west of Asheville. That's not to say there isn't a lot in that direction.

Stay away from West Asheville? Umm yeah we are full lol. That may have held true 15 years ago, and sure there may be some areas that aren't as desirable but its not bad. I don't even lock my doors, come to think of it I don't even know where a key is for it. That might just be more of my mind set than anything. The houses are typically older therefore not the most effecient. Haywood has become a pretty fun road with lots going on. I don't even have to mess with downtown anymore unless I want to, which is an easy bike ride too. Also easy access to the greenway via hominy park/creek. I can be on the greenway in about 5 mins on bike. Personally I think West Asheville has one of the best locations. Easy access to 240/I40/I26, you can be downtown in a matter of minutes, same with Bentcreek, or the river. If I were to move today I'd probably look in the same area.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm not much of a commuter, especially with $5.00/gallon gas coming, as "they" say, but it would be amazing to live in Pisgah Forest. I'm going to have to just be a visitor over there unfortunately.

Thanks so much!!!!

You never know, that may have been perfect! (Some lucky person will get to live there!).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Great and informative reply!

I had a feeling that guy didn't know what he was talking about! I like old neighborhoods and old houses. I'll definitely look over there!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Swannanoa isn't bad. There's some riding/hiking very nearby, a brewery to go to, and plenty of convenience for sundries. Downside? It's not in Asheville and it's a bit further away from most of the mtbing.
    West Asheville/ North Asheville/ UNCA area/ Kenilworth/ Montford are all great, 10-20 minutes to BC and you can ride downtown really easy. Lots of rentals...

Rogue Exterminator
    How much are you looking to spend a month?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    I think Pisgahproduction's distances are skewed, he might of meant minutes instead of miles.
    Yup. Too much West Asheville flavor, I guess
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    How much are you looking to spend a month?
    600-1000 and I need 2 bedrooms most likely.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    700-1000 for a 2 bedroom. We could squeeze into a 1 bedroom if it was the right location and/or price.

Rogue Exterminator
    You can find plenty of 2br places for that price.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It does sound like West is Best based on your criteria, but don't totally discount East Asheville thru Oteen to Swannanoa (or even the Riceville/Warren Wilson area) if you find a deal there. Think of it this way: will you be commuting more to your job, or to the trails? Might make sense to be closer to the job with the price of gas these days.

It's not all that much further to the trails, still pretty close and convenient to downtown, and I rather like not being surrounded by interstate highways on all sides (I can walk to the Mountains to Sea Trail 5 minutes from my house, ride or walk to the grocery store, and some other places since I live right near the Parkway/US 70). And I think rent tends to be a bit cheaper in that area. Plus it's nice to have a few trees & cow pastures around the house instead of just developed land.

Swannanoa isn't quite as rural as "Swannanowhere" seems to imply. Funny name though.

Ambassador of Fun
    Jun 2008
    Hey Gasface. Feel free to give me a call if you want some more detailed info. As Realtor who rides trails, road, gravel and commutes as much as possible I would be glad to talk with you. The "best place to live" in these parts all depends on what needs are most important to you. There are great aspects of all the areas around Asheville, you just have to decided if you want a short commute to work, to pedal to trails, pedal to most of your conveniences or just find a place in the center of all so you never spend more than 20-30 minutes in the car and still can hit all of the best riding this area has to offer. Justinasheville@gmail.com or 828.713.9400

Justin Mitchell
    Mosaic Community Lifestyle Realty
    Asheville Real Estate | mymosaicrealty.com
    Capturing the Asheville Experience via photography, video and words.

www.justinasheville.com

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc View Post
    ...but don't totally discount East Asheville thru Oteen to Swannanoa (or even the Riceville/Warren Wilson area)
    +1...sounds like mtbwnc lives up the street from us.

We bought a house up in Riceville a few years ago. I was against it at first, because it's far Pisgah, but the house and amenities won. It's not bad at all.

6 driving minutes from groceries/gas/sundries

10 driving minutes from Swannanoa (not that's there's all that much there...)

10 riding minutes from three shorter trail systems (Shope, Dam Pasture, and Jones Mountain). Link them for a good 2.5-3 hour workout. It's not much (10-12mi), but there's only a few of us using it, so I like it.

25 driving minutes from Bent Creek

20 driving minutes from Kitzuma and the Heartbreak Ridge climbs/descent

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    ...Swannanoa (not that's there's all that much there...)
    Okie Dokies!

Big Mac

Okie Dokies!
    And Burger King.

Big Mac

One of the great things about Asheville is its diverse neighborhoods. Each one has a distinctive and different personality. They all have ups and they all have downs. Your best bet is to come visit and see what you like. Then determine whether or not you can afford it.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Touché

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Okie Dokies!
    Touché

'Native' has decent pizza and beer, but the prices are downtown.

Big Mac

Touché

'Native' has decent pizza and beer, but the prices are downtown.
    I've been curious about native. I've been by a few times at lunch and I guess they don't do lunch. I just don't see how they can survive out there. Do they do a good business?

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I just don't see how they can survive out there. Do they do a good business?
    I don't think they'll be there long...

Big Mac

I don't think they'll be there long...
    It's a shame, that's a cool space. I think for someone to do well there they'd have to do something extraordinary to draw folks in from elsewhere. I just don't think swannanoa has a large enough support base for that kind of thing. Beacon village sure as hell doesn't. 😄