I am the big German!

High Country Mountain Bike Association??

Is there anyone here who knows anything about this group and whether it is still active? I've seen some old trail signs in Wilson's Creek, but I haven't heard anything about them. It is still listed as an active non-profit corporation with the state, but the contact info appears dated.

It would be nice if there were a group of mountain bikers to do some trail maintenance in the WC area. Is there such a group? Is there anyone interested in re/forming such an organization?

Dan K

mtbr member
    Dan, I will throw in my 2 cents. I think it would be great if the riders in your area could come together and maybe start a Sorba chapter for Boone and the surrounding areas of the "high country." I lived in Boone for several years and rode WC quite a few times, it is a awesome trail system. During my time in Boone, there were always numerous bikers riding, whether it be trail riding, urban or freeriding on ASU campus, comuters, or dip$h!ts just putzing around. I think that you guys could have a strong chapter that could include locals and students of ASU. You could contact ASU outdoor rec if you guys get a chapter going and I am sure that you would have no problem finding people to do trail maintenance and repair. You might even be able to convince the outdoor rec dept to allow students to include trailwork as a phys ed requirement for graduation. Check out the main SORBA website, or check out our local chapter of Pisgah Area Sorba for contact info and ideas for starting up a Sorba chapter.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oops, just realized that I did not address your initial question. I have no knowledge of a High Country Mountain Bike Organization in Boone or the surrounding area, but when I lived there I was not active in the community. You should do some sleuthing around Magic Cycles or Boone Bike & Touring and see what info you dig up.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

YEM
    Deadhead Biker
    I would love to help ! I will be moving to WC, Edgemont, in December. I too have seen those signs.....and wondered about the "sign putter up ers". I am all ears.
    One man gathers what another man spills....
    -Jerry Garcia & Robert Hunter

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here is what I know:

HCMBA was a club that I helped form in the early 90's and I served as president during most of those years that it was active. We were an active club based out of Boone with some ASU students and other professionals in the area. We had support of the 3 bike shops ( 2 current shops and Rock and Roll Sports)and local community. We had a great relationship with the USFS and did regular trailwork on the trails in the GF district, I have photos from our first workday on National Trails Day back in 1993.

My wife (who served as Sec.) moved out of the area in 1997 and HCMBA basically fell apart. No one stepped into a leadership role and without such there was no direction and/or energy.
    Hard to say exactly when HCMBA offically "closed the doors" but I do know that leftover money in the bank account was split between local no profits and IMBA.

I went over to Boone some 4 or so years ago and met with locals who seemed like they wanted to get orginized again and do some good work. From the sounds of things, that meeting led to nothing and the high country mtb community has no voice.

SORBA makes it easy to form a new chapter and you get instant non profit status. It would be good to see a SORBA chapter up that way and again an active club working with the land managers to improve mtn bike experiences in the area. I sopke to Lynn Bullock recently who worked for me when I owned Misty Mountain Threadworks. He said that Boone had recently gotten a skate park. I responed that was great and the area is now prime for a pump track and jump park. An active club could make that happen in the area.

Here a few names of folks in the area who were active and might could help:

Bill Pressly, Dirk Brown, Mike Boone, Mike Trew, Goose Kearse.

Good Luck.

Woody

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman

I spoke to Lynn Bullock recently who worked for me when I owned Misty Mountain Threadworks.

Woody
    Very cool I had no idea that you used to own that company. My first harness I bought when I was getting into climbing and repelling back in the spring of 93' was a Misty Mountain.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Correction to my earlier post, it was Lynn Willis I spoke to earlier. Forgive me for my feeble mind. I had not seen Lynn since I sold MMT in 97 or so ( he was working for us when I sold the company, he now works for Mast Store).

Yes, I started MMT in 1985 and served as President untill 97. Whatever your harness model was, I designed it. After selling MMT, I served as a sales rep for Kona for 7-8 years. And then of course started Trail Dynamics 4 years ago with partner Ed Sutton.

All of the above has been fun, but this new company and work is my favorite.

Woody

I am the big German!
    All right then. Thanks for the info everyone. I've spoken to Mike Boone at Magic. Seems as if HCMBA is dead (although still technically an active non-profit according to the NC Dept of State).

I'll investigate the potential of a Boone SORBA chapter and keep folks posted.

Dan