mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hickory Mountain Loop in DuPont- Closed

The Hickory Mountain Loop Trail in DuPont is closed. This is due to extreme erosion and resource impact. Trail (really an old road) obliteration and stabilization work has begun and you can see that in one of the photos here.

A new trail alignment has been designed and is now out for bid. The new loop highlights:

-95% single track with tread width of 3-4' (5% road to trail conversion giving a similar trail experience)
    -25+ % longer
    -Will have great views from many places looking at different aspects/views (some overlooking Pisgah, and some overlooking Stone Mtn in DuPont)
    -Has great opportunity for optional technical features off the mainline

Construction should start sometime this winter (depending on the contractor who gets the award schedule) with a completion date by April (FYI, I am not part of Trail Dynamics any more so can provide more info as this all unfolds).

This will be a great change to a seldom used loop. My guess is once open, it will have some of the best views of any trail in DuPont and thus will become a regular addition for many riders.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here are some highlight photos of the new alignment. The stacked rock feature is downhill and off trail at one point, but if you know where to look you will find it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    More photos from the flagline....

Rogue Exterminator
    Yeah, I went to ride it about a week or so ago and the sign was up.
    Trail needs it though. Look forward to it.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    The initial ground work of this project was aided by the National Public Lands Day Service Project with PAS and REI Sept. 28th, 2013 More pictures can be found at the links below.
    Hickory Mountain Loop in DuPont- Closed-national-public-lands-day-rei.jpg

Pisgah Area SORBA » Blog Archive » Recap of National Public Lands Day Service Project with PAS and REI Sept. 28th, 2013

A recent PAS trail work day was co-sponsored with REI on Saturday, September 28, for National Public Lands Day. PAS members, REI employees, Friends of DuPont Forest volunteers, and Pisgah Trailblazers volunteers joined forces to clear corridor along a flagline that will soon be the new Hickory Mountain Loop Trail on DuPont State Recreational Forest. 62 volunteers broke into 7 work groups; 5 groups had a sawyer with chainsaw, while two groups were using manual tools. Crews scattered along the 1.25 miles of flagline to be cleared, and accomplished that task in 3 hours. FODF and DSRF will soon write trail construction specifications and send out a request for bids; we hope to be playing on this trail in early 2014…

Also: The FODF Trails Committee would like to extend our sincere thanks to everyone who helped with this effort–your work will reduce the construction costs of the new trail by several thousand dollars. The new trail will extend loop mileage by almost 0.4 miles, while reducing erosion and sedimentation from a steep and unsustainable trail that’s a carryover from logging many years ago…

Photos from the event are at these three sites:

https://www.facebook.com/Dupontfores.../photos_stream
    (try https://www.facebook.com/Dupontforesttrails
    if the first doesn’t work; go to pictures)
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5184145&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9209856&type=1
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

WNC Native
    Looking forward to this nice addition!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here is a Google Earth and GPS overlay. Green is the old road, light blue is the new alignment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

WNC Native
    That looks pretty good. Hope whoever gets the contract keys in on this - Has great opportunity for optional technical features off the mainline.

Would be nice to have some options of technical feature lines.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Happy to see this. Thanks for the info, Woodman.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That new alignment looks really nice!

Freeride Pabstist Church
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Here is a Google Earth and GPS overlay. Green is the old road, light blue is the new alignment.
    The old trail was always a good way to determine if I was riding as good as I thought I was. Looks like the new version will be a bit more Uno Gearo friendly.
    I reserve the right to make fun of your beliefs if I think they are stupid.

mtbr member
    Alignment looks good. I'm looking forward to looking around out there a bit this week. Project also includes some small re-routes on Cedar Rock and Shoals Creek. It looks like it will be a fun build and a nice addition to the forest.

Rogue Exterminator
    Man, if this is half as good as what it looks like it is going to be, it will be a nice addition to a Ridgeline ride finish.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I went and checked this new alignment out yesterday, and must say, it has a lot of potential. If done right, it could be one of the highlight trails in the forest. Regardless of who builds it, it will be better than the old road in every way. Looping counter clockwise will be pretty significant descent and you'll be able to hook a right and run straight into ridgeline. Woody is right about the views too...wow, the pisgah range looks pretty epic from that perspective.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for keeping us posted.